Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robin Wood

Worried

5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Chris Hughton 

We are Bristol City Fc. We don’t do proven managers.. lets stick with the chusti arrangement we currently have.. jobs for the boys and jobs for friends of the Lansdown’s. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Aubergine 2

8 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Chris Hughton 

You really think he'd be interested in us? He's going for premier league jobs and quite rightly

• Like 1

Lets say he goes tomorrow next week/month/year who actually thinks we/he will bring in someone any different? in fact could be worse.

No great fan of our present manager BUT is it all his fault.......are all our players his first choices or are they just what we can afford?

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

We are Bristol City Fc. We don’t do proven managers.. lets stick with the chusti arrangement we currently have.. jobs for the boys and jobs for friends of the Lansdown’s. 

In one, like the players, the ones that are any good arent ours and are just passing through, those that are worth anything are sold before we build anything then we start again.

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

You really think he'd be interested in us? He's going for premier league jobs and quite rightly

You’re probably right however surely this job would suit him, knows we have money and already have a decent squad

In my opinion I don’t believe we are going to go up under Johnson...too inconsistent especially at home 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

Indeed. He reportedly turned down Watford as he thought he could do better. He can afford to bide his time.

If anyone thinks Lee Johnson is a top coach capable of delivering promotion is deluded and is mugging themselves off.

He's an average manager not a top coach.

We need a good coach to kick us on but I'm  afraid he's unsacklable for that reason I'm out.

• Like 10
  • Aubergine 3

1 minute ago, Alan Dicks said:

If anyone thinks Lee Johnson is a top coach capable of delivering promotion is deluded and is mugging themselves off.

We need a good coach to kick us on but I'm  afraid he's unsacklable for that reason I'm out.

If you attend the homes games will you be true to your words “I’m out”. 

29 minutes ago, bris red said:

We don’t do proven managers?  Wilson, Gary Johnson, Coppell, O’Driscoll, Cotterill, all had proven track records when they joined us.  Tinnion and Millen were untested, but even Johnson had a few seasons behind him.

• Like 1
  • Rovers 1

Zero entertainment for a fair portion of our games at home this season and today and Tuesday no different .   We have a decent squad with good footballers.  Not sure what our best formation is or what pattern of play where trying to play 

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

A lot of people within football wouldn’t agree with youR views on Johnson.  I’m afraid the players have to take the most responsibility today.  You can talk about formations and substitutes all night, but there were 14 good players out there who lacked energy, passion and commitment, which they showed in spades against Fulham.  Poor day at the office but we were always going to have a blip at some stage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Zero entertainment for a fair portion of our games at home this season and today and Tuesday no different .   We have a decent squad with good footballers.  Not sure what our best formation is or what pattern of play where trying to play 

We played 442, which the fans were screaming for before Huddersfield.

32 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

In one, like the players, the ones that are any good arent ours and are just passing through, those that are worth anything are sold before we build anything then we start again.

Who are these good players that ‘aren’t ours’?

of the matchday squad today which players were not under contract but merely loans?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A lot of people within football wouldn’t agree with youR views on Johnson.  I’m afraid the players have to take the most responsibility today.  You can talk about formations and substitutes all night, but there were 14 good players out there who lacked energy, passion and commitment, which they showed in spades against Fulham.  Poor day at the office but we were always going to have a blip at some stage.

That's true, but surely it is part of the managers job to get that energy, passion and commitment? He signed them all don't forget.

The last couple of games I've expected them to come out after half time with a rocket up their collective arses but it just hasn't happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

I am a great believer in deciding on a way you want to play then recruiting and coaching accordingly. Repetition in training gets players used to playing in the required way.

I'm not sure average Championship players are good enough to constantly change formations and tactics.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We don’t do proven managers?  Wilson, Gary Johnson, Coppell, O’Driscoll, Cotterill, all had proven track records when they joined us.  Tinnion and Millen were untested, but even Johnson had a few seasons behind him.

We need a manager with a proven track record of getting out of this division. History shows we don't go for managers with experience of getting teams to the premier league. We don't want it ENOUGH when we get to this level. Its a historical problem at this club. We don't WANT the top flight enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I tend to agree that players need to take more responsibility but we consistently seem to play with no tempo at home, which is hard to explain unless it is deliberate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I am a great believer in deciding on a way you want to play then recruiting and coaching accordingly. Repetition in training gets players used to playing in the required way.

I'm not sure average Championship players are good enough to constantly change formations and tactics.

Not disagreeing with that 

Playing in this way at Hillsborough would cost us another defeat,with a psychological impact on the following games too.

It's one of the crucial moments of the season,so we must react quickly if we want to remain in the PO's race.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shelts said:

It's not limited to this season. We've been largely awful at home for most of last season too

People bemoan the lack of atmosphere and early departures, but there's been little to get excited about at home for quite some time (yes, I realise it's not as binary as that in reality)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Two poor home defeats and performances has he taken us as far as he can,? 

Definitely, we have hit the ceiling under Johnson and this current approach. Maybe the board are happy with being a top 10 championship club? Who knows? There is a huge opportunity to claim premiership football for this club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Lets say he goes tomorrow next week/month/year who actually thinks we/he will bring in someone any different? in fact could be worse.

No great fan of our present manager BUT is it all his fault.......are all our players his first choices or are they just what we can afford?

Tbf Johnson is Dogshit but in his defence you can only attract certain players for the wages we are willing to pay.

Consecutive home games where the midfield went missing - outplayed - outmuscled - unskilled - overrun - no cohesion!

Blame can only rest on one persons shoulders!  Picked them, trained them, set them up!
They knew it would not work, just like last season and the season before and that’s why they are poor

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

It's not limited to this season. We've been largely awful at home for most of last season too

People bemoan the lack of atmosphere and early departures, but there's been little to get excited about at home for quite some time (yes, I realise it's not as binary as that in reality)

You’ve raised some good points that I agree with 

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

I am sure that many of our players would have approached the game totally differently if the coach’s selections and tactics had been better - these guys are not idiots,  mostly they know what the opposition can do and they also know what they are collectively capable of - home selections and tactics are so far away from what’s needed that success must seem a long way off to them! Demoralising!

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Don’t give that kop out . Lesser talented players and teams than  ours regularly take points of us , Why ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I think the point is that the current crop of players have proven that they can get outstanding results. It's just that they don't very often, which means that they - and he - are underachieving

52 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

It's not results its 1 good home performance in 11 games that's dreadful

I would take being ‘dreadful’ every day of the week if we finish top 6. Which until yesterday we were. Nearly halfway through a season in arguably one of the toughest leagues on the world

4 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

So you want to see even worse football than we’re playing at the moment?

I reckon his players would know how to pass a ball 6 yards to a team mate. 

Less entertaining at times, maybe, but certainly more adept and cohesive. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

So you want to see even worse football than we’re playing at the moment?

Just feel with his managerial record he’ll know what it takes to go up, no doubt we have the squad, need a few more additions I.e strikers  however if supported by the board he could be the man to take us up 

3 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Just feel with his managerial record he’ll know what it takes to go up, no doubt we have the squad, need a few more additions I.e strikers  however if supported by the board he could be the man to take us up 

Why should we sack Johnson now? There’s no good enough reason to at the moment

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Why should we sack Johnson now? There’s no good enough reason to at the moment

Maybe not at this moment no but if we don’t finish in the top 6 with the squad we have as well as the dire home performances then you have to start asking questions if he’s the right man for the job 

LJ has never won anything as a manager. He has spent a lot and sold on quite a few at a profit but like many on here, I see little sign that he and his players can get promotion. There are good individuals but our teamwork is frequently poor.

Our home form has been rubbish for nearly 2 years. We play possession football at AG but we are not good enough to do it at speed, so we usually look pedestrian and ponderous, while the opposition just need to remain organised. Our forward play is to static and with the exception of Eliasson and Hunt rarely stretches the defence going forward. And defensively in midfield we have also been poor, with far too many goals conceded this season to be serious challenges.

Can LJ fix all of that? I have my doubts. He doesn’t even seem to know his best formation or players for that formation.

On 14/12/2019 at 17:24, hodge said:

Money talks. We pay Premier League wages to the attract Premier League players, why not do the same for a top-end Championship/lower-end Premier League manager?

SL did it for the rugby club with Pat Lam, I’d be surprised if the thought of doing it he same with us hadn’t crossed his mind - if he harbours genuine intent to get to the top flight.

I also think in terms of facilities, crowds, boardroom stability that we’re a similar project to Brighton a few years ago and ultimately if you don’t ask, you don’t get. 

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Money talks. We pay Premier League wages to the attract Premier League players, why not do the same for a top-end Championship/lower-end Premier League manager?

SL did it for the rugby club with Pat Lam, I’d be surprised if the thought of doing it he same with us hadn’t crossed his mind - if he harbours genuine intent to get to the top flight.

I also think in terms of facilities, crowds, boardroom stability that we’re a similar project to Brighton a few years ago and ultimately if you don’t ask, you don’t get. 

You don't understand FFP at all do you?

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why not offer an explanation then rather than an unhelpful and confrontational sounding question like that?

Just now, IAmNick said:

Why not offer an explanation then rather than an unhelpful and confrontational sounding question like that?

Because I have done several times in the past to others and they go back to disregarding it all the next time they throw a paddy.

It's a waste of my time and effort.

42 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes, I do actually. But I’d suggest spending any funds available on a manager is a bigger priority than spending it on transfer fees or players’ wages. 

What it boils down to is intent. If it’s to get to the Premier League, getting a proven manager should be an important part of the business plan. If the intent is to develop players to sell on and stagnate, then it’s acceptable to pootle along as we are. 

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Yes, I do actually. But I’d suggest spending any funds available on a manager is a bigger priority than spending it on transfer fees or players’ wages. 

What it boils down to is intent. If it’s to get to the Premier League, getting a proven manager should be an important part of the business plan. If the intent is to develop players to sell on and stagnate, then it’s acceptable to pootle along as we are. 

We don't need to sell anyone this summer and if we don't act stupid this January by spending £20m say, but staying down then we don't need to sell anyone in the summer either if we stay down.

4 hours ago, tin said:

I agree with the manager before players inference. 

I'd rather the best manager coach an 8/10 squad, rather than a 5/10 manager coach a 10/10 squad. 

You get the point. 

• Like 1