IGNORED

The most talented squad we’ve ever had.

Fordy62

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

17th best defence and 5th best attack - Yes and in between is a midfield coached by a mediocre ex midfield player whose biggest strength was avoiding contact - a coach who fielded 2 x 5’ 8” Inexperienced DM’s  against a pretty good attack with skilful 6’ 6” players and stood there wringing his  hands when the midfield was overrun, ball winning backs on the bench???

This coach should not be allowed anywhere near the first team at home, he is a liability!

since when was being a great player a prerequisite for being a good coach!? Mourinho, Saachi, Scolari, Wenger, Villa Boas, etc. Jeez, they ended up doing alright didn't they!? 

Not a prerequisite at all, he gave up being a team player while still on the books, safe knowing his father would select him. Our home form under him is just not good enough! He does not know his best team or tactics and does not select on ability or strength. Some say we miss Webster, due to his ability to bring the ball out, we have players that can do that now, but they can’t do it because the midfield is shocking, we have attacking midfielders but where are they? not attacking or tracking - Saturday we had one mostly in full back position.  
Fam needs service, the only balls he was served Saturday came from a full back, that being the case there’s no need to play him - a functioning attacking midfield will supply the goals.

9 hours ago, Street red said:

LJ needs to take a leaf out of Chris Wilders book 3 years 2 promotions and pretty much the same squad and certain players having played in all four leagues.

Only way for Lee to keep his squad together - or not sell his best players - is to get promoted; but, because he keeps selling/losing his best players, he gets nowhere near promotion.

We could be in for a few years of this.....

19 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Those games convinced LJ (and me) that we can play a 2-man central midfield pairing of Massengo and Nagy against anyone. 

However, Fulham and the Terriers played an open, passing game, allowing us space to press and counter attack.

Most teams in this Division aren't so accommodating and have exploited or weakness, the inability to dominate the middle third and link play in order to create goal scoring opportunities.

That means returning to 3-5-2 and trying to make it work, even at the expense of Eliasson.

Mind you, any tactical changes are useless if you haven't got midfield players who can tackle. Korey Smith has to play next Sunday. Plus, we need to sign another ball winner in January, or recall the capable Welsh international, Joe Morrell.

All hope is not lost in our quest for the play-offs because the sides around us are also inconsistent. Fulham have lost 3 on the bounce.

Here's to a happier Christmas. 

Are we likely to see a six foot something midfielder bought in to add weight to the side ? 
There’s a chap at Cardiff who’s doing OK and scored some goals .He has the same name as a player we got rid of in the summer. 

Jeez.  Our midfield in terms of quality is the best I have seen in a long time.  We’ve been done in 2 games although Williams and fam should have scored which would have given us a point.  
fulham lost 3 in a row, Forest got battered at home ,  it happens in this league,  even Leeds lost a 3 goal lead against a poor Cardiff side. 
we will finish in the top 6 which is punching above our weight all with our best striker out for the season and we are not in the position to have a 70 grand a week reserve  to bring in to replace like wba do  We will win games and we will get bullied at home and lose games as it’s the obvious way to beat us at home  Have some bloody perspective 

On 14/12/2019 at 21:47, ChippenhamRed said:

Yeah it must have been dreadful for those fans watching their team promoted to the Premier League for the first time, amassing 93 points along the way, before then establishing themselves in the top division and welcoming Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to their stadium on a regular basis.

Definitely wouldn’t wish for that.

Think the point you're missing there is that it's fans trying to have it both ways here.

The results have been decent this season, that's why we're 7th.

The main criticism is about the performances being dull. 

Hughton is being said to have played very dull football.

So is your issue the type of performance- in which case Hughton wouldn't be the person to appoint?

Or is it the results? In which case Hughton might improve us a bit.

Of course, this hypothetical is completely disregarding the fact Hughton is looking for a Premier League job and has already turned down Watford thinking he could do better.

15 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I think this weekend's common sense award get delivered to you Stevey. It's been an intensely frustrating week, more so given that I think most expected the full deck of points from Millwall and Blackburn, but what's happened has been a timely reminder of the utterly bonkers nature of this division. The meltdown that's greeted our drop to SEVENTH is disturbing and bizarre. 

Ta. We’re all entitled to opinions of course, and we don’t play like Barcelona at home, but a sense of proportion does seems a bit lacking.

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Think the point you're missing there is that it's fans trying to have it both ways here.

The results have been decent this season, that's why we're 7th.

The main criticism is about the performances being dull. 

Hughton is being said to have played very dull football.

So is your issue the type of performance- in which case Hughton wouldn't be the person to appoint?

Or is it the results? In which case Hughton might improve us a bit.

Of course, this hypothetical is completely disregarding the fact Hughton is looking for a Premier League job and has already turned down Watford thinking he could do better.

At home our results are crap and our performances are crap. 

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Ta. We’re all entitled to opinions of course, and we don’t play like Barcelona at home, but a sense of proportion does seems a bit lacking.

Seems to swing quite a bit doesn't it, the sentiment.

I've got my criticisms of the current home displays and the tactics but things really are not that bad. I expected a playoff tilt, I expected fewer injuries and to be 7th, especially with the injuries...it's alright. Not to say we don't need to improve- we do- but we're not as top 2 side, nor were we this season, but playoffs? Reasonable goal- especially with Derby and Middlesbrough in transition, the former possibly facing an FFP Investigation, Sheffield Wednesday in possible trouble- big deduction could stop them hitting the top 6.

We've spent quite a bit and a lot by our standards so I suppose that pushes up expectation- to me that only fully works if we're in a bubble- but we are not.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our home results are average

You've still ignored 90% of my post there though. Try again and try harder.

Agreed- I'd say somewhere between a bit below average and average but crap seems something of an over-reaction.

We're 14th in the Home League table- which is the very epitome of average or just below.

16 pts 11 games- a bit under 1.5 ppg- again in and around average.

On 14/12/2019 at 18:27, chinapig said:

A bit of a false comparison perhaps. Nationally and internationally rugby union is a much smaller game. You can get a world class player for no transfer fee and a £1m a year salary. There is zero chance of getting a football coach of similar standing to Pat Lam's in rugby.

True to a certain extent but Leeds managed to get Bielsa and with the right salary and promise of a good transfer kitty we'd be an attractive project for a much better coach than we currently have. Can't ever see it happening even if we plummeted down the division though. 

On 15/12/2019 at 01:55, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, I was waxing lyrical about going for Hughton on here back when he was transitioning from Newcastle to Brum, got shouted down quite a bit .... after that i’ve consistently highlighted Neil Warnock’s ability to promote teams from this division, and I’ve been roundly ridiculed, which is fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

Meanwhile, between them, Hughton and Warnock have taken Newcastle, Brighton, QPR, Sheff Utd and Cardiff into the premier league from the championship. Impressive stuff .... now take a peek at LJ’s football management CV - yeh, nothing ...

That’s not to say he won’t, but I agree that we turn our noses up Managers like Hughton (I’m leaving Warnock out of this), because he’s not “sexy”.  He may not be at Prem level, but he still did a job there, and proved very successful in this division.

Archived