IGNORED

External view

formerly known as ivan

When I have my usual football chats with non-city supporting mates and I have little rants (mainly out of frustration) about city and Johnson, they never understand where I am coming from.

They all see city as this little club who are punching above their weight and think I should be grateful for where the club are currently. They say about the year on year progression and our (lack) of history.

I try to tell them we aren’t a little club anymore. We have a modern stadium, we spend more on transfer fees and wages nowadays than ever before. We didn’t spend £8m on Kalas in order to guarantee a top 12 finish!

After the Fulham game they were all saying how fantastic Johnson was and that we were lucky to have him. After the last two games they then say that’s the level we should expect to be at.

Anyone else have similar conversations with non-city supporting friends? Are they right? Do some of us city fans have too high expectations?

I don't think most do.I may be wrong but I like to think lots of our fans are like me and are happy with solid performances from players that are working as hard as they can regardless of their ability.All we want is 100% even if you are Bas Savage.I am "happy" with a defeat if I think every player has given everything for the shirt.Can't ask for more than that.That is why some of my favourite times were in League One.

20 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

When I have my usual football chats with non-city supporting mates and I have little rants (mainly out of frustration) about city and Johnson, they never understand where I am coming from.

They all see city as this little club who are punching above their weight and think I should be grateful for where the club are currently. They say about the year on year progression and our (lack) of history.

I try to tell them we aren’t a little club anymore. We have a modern stadium, we spend more on transfer fees and wages nowadays than ever before. We didn’t spend £8m on Kalas in order to guarantee a top 12 finish!

After the Fulham game they were all saying how fantastic Johnson was and that we were lucky to have him. After the last two games they then say that’s the level we should expect to be at.

Anyone else have similar conversations with non-city supporting friends? Are they right? Do some of us city fans have too high expectations?

No

21 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Who are these non city friends,if they are Liverpool or Man U then they have a point,if they support Barnsley or hull then they are winding you up

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Who are these non city friends,if they are Liverpool or Man U then they have a point,if they support Barnsley or hull then they are winding you up

There is a mix, some premier league clubs, some championship and the odd league 1.

One funnily enough is a Fulham fan who would love to have Johnson in charge! They couldn’t believe they lost to little old city last week

6 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

99% Of people I meet on building sites usually support a team they never watch play so I don’t waste my breath 

talking to city fans on the way home is much more interesting as it’s always good hearing some ones else’s point of view 

So true.

Some of the things I heard on the way home tonight were hilarious.

If only the players were as entertaining as the fans.

I honestly never meet fans of other clubs. 

I don't count those that watch "their" teams on sky. They're just ****ers. 

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Anyone who doesn't think we are now a big club at Championship level needs their heads checked.

Our wage bill says we aren't that big. We're getting bigger though. 

I am not usually negative but if these tactics continue then I can't see us being anywhere near where we are now.

We can't pass the ball and are conceding too many. LJ says we have really good technical players, so no excuses with the passing.

And we know we have a quality goalkeeper and quality defenders so no excuses with the conceding so many. 

Recruitment the last 3 windows has been fantastic. Getting the best out of them in a team set up is where LJ is going wrong recently.

WBA, Millwall and yesterday shocking performances. We have better players than what are performances are suggesting.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am not usually negative but if these tactics continue then I can't see us being anywhere near where we are now.

We can't pass the ball and are conceding too many. LJ says we have really good technical players, so no excuses with the passing.

And we know we have a quality goalkeeper and quality defenders so no excuses with the conceding so many. 

Recruitment the last 3 windows has been fantastic. Getting the best out of them in a team set up is where LJ is going wrong recently.

WBA, Millwall and yesterday shocking performances. We have better players than what are performances are suggesting.

If you have physical ability but can't apply it, the problem is almost certainly between the ears. 

The question is, what's the cause? 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If you have physical ability but can't apply it, the problem is almost certainly between the ears. 

The question is, what's the cause? 

Think a mixture of tiredness, LJ not bringing in Korey and others, and general wrong tactics have been the problem.

Millwall knew exactly how to set up to beat us. Blackburn completely deserved their win too.

Should be playing one up front or go back to 352. This 442 with 2 strikers that link up so poorly does not work. 

19 hours ago, REDOXO said:

We have spent millions and millions on players and a state of the art stadium, not to mention the training ground and academy.

Not sure what expectations some supporters have, but SL has an expectation of at least a play off spot, no one else matters!

A lot of this is and has been catchup to a fair few sides at this level.

OTOH, I agree about playoff spot- not convinced by the arguments that we should be going for top 2 and tbh never was, but playoff push and a serious one- perhaps even a playoff spot- is rightly the goal IMO.

19 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

They are right. 

In my experience, City fans are amongst the least knowledgeable. 

Rovers also. So I guess it's just this neck of the woods. 

21 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

There is a mix, some premier league clubs, some championship and the odd league 1.

One funnily enough is a Fulham fan who would love to have Johnson in charge! They couldn’t believe they lost to little old city last week

They should be used to it by now, having beaten them on our last 5 visits there..! 

Archived