IGNORED

Square Pegs in Square Holes

ohhhshauntaylor

After those 2 abject performances IMO we need to revert to a formation that best suits our personnel for our next run of games, and this system gives us more ability to cha he players like for like, especially in midfield and defence. 

Bentley 

Hunt|Moore|Kalas|Williams|Rowe

Smith|Brownhill 

Palmer

Fam|Weimann 

Bench- Elliason, Pereria/Szmodics, Massengo, Nagy, Baker, Semenyo, Maennpa. 

No we played 442 because people wanted more attacking football.532 suits our players better and we look more solid. Totally agree with above team except I would swap Palmer for Nagy or massengo pushing Brownhill slightly forward of the defensive midfielders so that he can link with the front two. The last two games we have been over run in midfield and Brownhill has been far less effective out of the middle.

I think primarily 5-3-2 suits the Squad best, but with the ability to change to 4-4-2 during games if required. 

But I’m a lot alarmed that the team has been so poor the last 2 games and maybe they ain’t all we thought or hoped they were. The way heads dropped so quickly and the woeful body language is very worrying . 

And while the midfield has been woeful there is plenty of choice of good player there, but Weimann and Diedhiou up front have been extremely poor and show no signs of a partnership. 

If we want to be a high possession team, then isn't the best formation either 4141 or 4231 for that?

Leeds, Brentford, Fulham, WBA all play those formations.

It's hard in our system to overload teams when we have 2 up front and 4 in midfield. There simply isn't many options when Nagy or Massengo get the ball. I feel sorry for them.

Maybe 352 can work better and with ball playing centre backs either side in the 3 bringing it into midfield like Sheffield Utd, it could work.

But this 442 is looking pretty awful. Our 2 in midfield look like they need help in there.

Bentley 

Hunt Moore Kalas Rowe

Nagy Smith Massengo

Brownhill Weimann Eliasson

I've long been an advocate of 4-3-3. Way I see it with this is that it can help us centrally- those 3 have a nice range of attributes and Smith in a 3, well I think it suits quite well.

Brownhill can stay on the right who has done quite well there. That front 3, can be nice and fluid and yet it has a platform behind to help the team with stability.

That nominal front 3 offers more technical ability, fluidity and potential to interchange than any combination including Diedhiou.

Brownhill and Weimann especially can also drift in, out a bit- wider and infield. Eliasson obviously more of an orthodox wide player but not always- his assists show a mix of types or have this season. 

In other phases, Brownhill can help Hunt in 2 v 1, Eliasson helps Rowe both basically defensively, but it's not perfect obviously. Brownhill can drift inside during some phases too.

Clearly DaSilva for Rowe when applicable and there could be a case for Pereira, Williams, Palmer and Diedhiou in varied games.

My concern with the other CBs especially though is that age, style- or a bit of both- can restrict our ability to play a higher line.

Pereira has a good ceiling but I think Hunt our best attacking outlet at RB atm. 

The other thing I like about that nominal front 3, is the energy. Surely better suited to pressing, even if it's only phases or intense phases to start with, than any combination that includes Diedhiou

I would go with this until we get a striker in with a physical presence.   Could actually see a surprise boost on Sunday with Dasilva back in?

Bentley

Hunt            Kalas           Williams          Dasilva

Nagy             Smith

Weimman            Brownhill                   Eliasson

Diedhiou  

On 14/12/2019 at 19:25, Sir Geoff said:

No we played 442 because people wanted more attacking football.532 suits our players better and we look more solid. Totally agree with above team except I would swap Palmer for Nagy or massengo pushing Brownhill slightly forward of the defensive midfielders so that he can link with the front two. The last two games we have been over run in midfield and Brownhill has been far less effective out of the middle.

Apologies in advance if I have misread you, but are you really saying the head coach is influenced by "people" (who I assume you mean to be City fans) in how he sets up his team?

I don't think he's influenced by the owner let alone plebs.

I agree the 532 point incidentally.

On 14/12/2019 at 19:25, Sir Geoff said:

48 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Apologies in advance if I have misread you, but are you really saying the head coach is influenced by "people" (who I assume you mean to be City fans) in how he sets up his team?

I don't think he's influenced by the owner let alone plebs.

I agree the 532 point incidentally.

This is going to sound a bit of an odd view, but at decent levels and I include the Championship as a decent level most definitely, I'm not convinced by the merit of 4-4-2 as an attacking setup these days- at least not an effective one.

A strong counterattacking one where a side may get a fair few shots away but through some carefully targeted pressing as opposed to actual front foot? Quite possibly. An actual attacking, controlling the game though? Now not so much- struggle to control midfield with it, leaves a side vulnerable to a quick turnover vs a central 3, and can actually put a side on the back foot. Different varieties of 4-4-2, e.g. say 3 in CM, or wider midfielders as opposed to wingers, or some variety again possible but can still leave holes and be easier countered.

3-5-2/5-3-2 can make us more solid, but I worry about the control point with it- unless it's a case if controlling the game or trying to at least, at the expense of a lot of possession for example.

@Sir Geoff 4-3-3 for Eliasson? Thinking how we can combine width, technical ability and energy and a genuine central 3 behind, gives the front 3 a bit more freedom to make mistakes through trying to force the play,.

At the moment, just seems a bit of a slightly confused mix to me.

Obviously not but there had been a lot of external pressure ( including the player himself) to include Eliasson. The most effective system to use him in is 442 which should be a more attaciking system. Whenever we play it we get over run on the flanks as the opposition wing backs have more space and in midfield where we are outnumbered. 532 give us more solidity and allows us to use Eliasson as an impact sub if we need a boost. I don’t have the stats but when we were playing 532 we scored quite a few late goals.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is going to sound a bit of an odd view, but at decent levels and I include the Championship as a decent level most definitely, I'm not convinced by the merit of 4-4-2 as an attacking setup these days- at least not an effective one.

A strong counterattacking one where a side may get a fair few shots away but through some pressing as opposed to actual front foot? Quite possibly. An actual attacking, controlling the game though? Now not so much- struggle to control midfield with it, leaves a side vulnerable to a quick turnover vs a central 3, and can actually put a side on the back foot. Different varieties of 4-4-2, e.g. say 3 in CM, or wider midfielders as opposed to wingers, or some variety again possible but can still leave holes and be easier countered.

3-5-2/5-3-2 can make us more solid, but I worry about the control point with it- unless it's a case if controlling the game or trying to at least, at the expense of a lot of possession for example.

Think we were writing the same reply at the same time. ?

On 14/12/2019 at 18:37, ohhhshauntaylor said:

After those 2 abject performances IMO we need to revert to a formation that best suits our personnel for our next run of games, and this system gives us more ability to cha he players like for like, especially in midfield and defence. 

Bentley 

Hunt|Moore|Kalas|Williams|Rowe

Smith|Brownhill 

Palmer

Fam|Weimann 

Bench- Elliason, Pereria/Szmodics, Massengo, Nagy, Baker, Semenyo, Maennpa. 

I reckon the subs could beat the starting 11

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bentley 

Hunt Moore Kalas Rowe

Nagy Smith Massengo

Brownhill Weimann Eliasson

I've long been an advocate of 4-3-3. Way I see it with this is that it can help us centrally- those 3 have a nice range of attributes and Smith in a 3, well I think it suits quite well.

Brownhill can stay on the right who has done quite well there. That front 3, can be nice and fluid and yet it has a platform behind to help the team with stability.

That nominal front 3 offers more technical ability, fluidity and potential to interchange than any combination including Diedhiou.

Brownhill and Weimann especially can also drift in, out a bit- wider and infield. Eliasson obviously more of an orthodox wide player but not always- his assists show a mix of types or have this season. 

In other phases, Brownhill can help Hunt in 2 v 1, Eliasson helps Rowe both basically defensively, but it's not perfect obviously. Brownhill can drift inside during some phases too.

Clearly DaSilva for Rowe when applicable and there could be a case for Pereira, Williams, Palmer and Diedhiou in varied games.

My concern with the other CBs especially though is that age, style- or a bit of both- can restrict our ability to play a higher line.

Pereira has a good ceiling but I think Hunt our best attacking outlet at RB atm. 

The other thing I like about that nominal front 3, is the energy. Surely better suited to pressing, even if it's only phases or intense phases to start with, than any combination that includes Diedhiou

Deidou in for weinmann he looks wore out.

Archived