IGNORED

Delayed shock after a car accident

Lanterne Rouge

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Does anyone know how long after the event this can happen? I had a bad accident on Thursday (wrote the car off but wasn`t injured myself) and I`ve been feeling fine since until today when I`ve started getting a bit shaky and nervous (I didn`t go today so can`t blame City!) so is it that?

Although it’s very unusual delayed shock symptoms can develop anything upto two weeks after the accident. What you’re experiencing is not that uncommon and are typical symptoms of shock, particularly anxiety and tremors.

Good news is that the symptoms will ease.  Typically hot sweet drinks can sometimes help 

20 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Does anyone know how long after the event this can happen? I had a bad accident on Thursday (wrote the car off but wasn`t injured myself) and I`ve been feeling fine since until today when I`ve started getting a bit shaky and nervous (I didn`t go today so can`t blame City!) so is it that?

1987 coming back from Brentford, had a horrendous motorway crash, lucky to get away with our lives. Spent the night in Swindon hospital. Fine for a couple of days, then started talking about it, just couldn't stop shaking for hours and a fair time afterward. Yes, it's shock, nothing abnormal .

I would have thought a serious car accident would have the same effects as anything major, post traumatic stress can happen weeks, months or even years after can’t it? 

I guess in the first few days you are busy sorting out practical things, and possibly physical injuries. It’s only when you relax a bit the full impact hits you and you could lack confidence about driving or even being in a car. Maybe talk to your Doctor if you continue to feel you aren’t your usual self. 

Sorry to hear this, take care.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I would have thought a serious car accident would have the same effects as anything major, post traumatic stress can happen weeks, months or even years after can’t it? 

I guess in the first few days you are busy sorting out practical things, and possibly physical injuries. It’s only when you relax a bit the full impact hits you and you could lack confidence about driving or even being in a car. Maybe talk to your Doctor if you continue to feel you aren’t your usual self. 

Sorry to hear this, take care.

Good advice

Two aspects here, I feel: physical and mental. My old man was hit from the rear yonks ago, felt OK immediately but suffered a bad reaction (whiplash of the neck) several months afterwards. The emotional shock could lurk for much longer. Best you try to keep your awareness up and monitor your mind and body - and give yourself the permission to talk about it! Help is closer than is often believed.

GWS

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy both on here and by PM, it`s been a great help, it really has. I`m feeling a lot better today after a good night`s sleep but will continue to watch myself in case of any reoccurrence.

Thanks again everyone.

Good man. Just take it easy and take care.

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy both on here and by PM, it`s been a great help, it really has. I`m feeling a lot better today after a good night`s sleep but will continue to watch myself in case of any reoccurrence.

Thanks again everyone.

You're not really saying Boris has given you advice, surely!

If so I would ignore that!

Seriously though, I hope you continue to feel better.

Take care.

:thumbsup:

I wrote a car off on a country lane after hitting black ice on a bend. Took out another car into a ditch then saw 2 kids climbing out of the back, along with dad in the driver seat. Thankfully nobody was injured, but it wasn't until I phoned my wife a bit later that it really hit me. 

Got back in the new car the following day (was due to trade the old one in the next day - sods law), and all was fine.

Drove down to Bristol, well attempted to a week or so later from Bury St Edmunds. It started snowing as I was getting onto the motorway, the wheels hit a bit of snow on the road, and I just became a nervous wreck. Turned around and stopped in a pub to have a break, drink and something to eat, then went home (to Norwich at the time). There was no way I was attempting that journey like that.

I am a very confident, and competent driver, always have been, but that really hit me, and the more shocking thing for me was that I hadn't really given it a second thought until the snow.

Talk about it, don't worry about it, it's normal. Best thing to do though is get back behind the wheel as soon as you can - the longer you put it off the more of a block it becomes.

A perfectly normal reaction, I would say.

Many years ago, I was driving in Florida when I saw a truck and caravan overturn on the other side of the highway - the caravan disintegrated spewing its contents on to the road, and to this day I have no idea what happened to the driver and his/her passengers, if any.

I pulled in to the services a mile or so up the road with the intention of telephoning the emergency services (this was before mobile telephones) and, when I reached the reception desk to explain what had happened, my legs turned to jelly and I just collapsed to the floor.

Some minutes later, when I had slightly recovered, I was informed that the emergency services had already been notified, but the resident medical representive refused to let me leave for at least an hour as he suspected I was in shock - and I wasn't even involved in the accident!  

Sorry to hear mate, had a couple of serious car accidents, one of which was a near-death escape nearly 25-years ago that still sends a shiver down my spine when I consider how bloody lucky I was. 

Nothing I can add that hasn't been said, but a stiff drink always helps. Nothing unusual about going into a delayed state of 'argh', so chin up and all the best!  

Archived