Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire reds

Palmer

where was kasey yesterday. high earner and a top quality football player. another player lee has brought in but has no idea how to get the best out of him. please lets dont waste this talented player. surely steve must be thinking what is going on. 

• Like 3

Yet odowda was in squad

Palmer would been perfect for yest he holds the all up and he tries to get something happening every time we cleared the ball yest it came straight back so we just ended up passing it round the back 4 

Yeah he might look lose possession at times in dangerous areas but that’s when he has to come back deep to get the ball from the defence or he trying to force things 

He was pretty rubbish at Blackburn too according to their fans. And wasn't a success at Derby. 

Seems his only success has been at Huddersfield where he had Wells to thread it through to.

People say he can thread it through to Weimann. Not for me. He can thread it through to Weimann when Weimann drifts wide, but Weimann rarely gets onto a through ball in the middle of the pitch. Weimann is not that quick, lacks power too.

We are obviously missing Afobe for Palmer to thread those balls through to.

Palmer though has to do better without Afobe. He should be able to do better than recent games where he has been so poor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

and did nothing in the little time he had available.

Not as bad as the rest then.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was pretty rubbish at Blackburn too according to their fans. And wasn't a success at Derby. 

Seems his only success has been at Huddersfield where he had Wells to thread it through to.

People say he can thread it through to Weimann. Not for me. He can thread it through to Weimann when Weimann drifts wide, but Weimann rarely gets onto a through ball in the middle of the pitch. Weimann is not that quick, lacks power too.

We are obviously missing Afobe for Palmer to thread those balls through to.

Palmer though has to do better without Afobe. He should be able to do better than recent games where he has been so poor.

Careful, logic has no place in this thread: everything is LJ's fault. It was clear during last season's loan that KP's performances can be very inconsistent, and it would be a bit of a gamble to sign him. That was LJ's 'fault' if you want to call it that. He offered nothing positive in his cameo on Tuesday, and I for one am not surprised he's been bombed out completely.

• Like 2

surely if the manager wants to sign a player like he wanted palmer he must know how to get the best out of him. if he does not know then why did steve give him the go ahead to sign him. if i was Steve i would not give him another penny. 

Without the runs of Afobe KP has become a bit of a luxury player for us. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a player who looked decent on loan then just drifts out of the picture. It's not as if it hasn't happened before..........

He's got a bad attitude simple as that... Well known at Chelsea which is why they released him. Will create a moment of magic 1 in 5 games and that's not good enough in that area for me it was a total waste of money... Last 2 games has shown how average our midfield is no ball winners at all I lost count over these games how many times we lost the 1st 2nd or even 3rd balls and that comes from poor management on our behalf and the experience of Rowett & Mowbray by targeting our weakness. LJ knows this hence why we play so deep at home but once on the back foot we simply haven't got the quality or experience to over turn it.... Bottom line is for the last few season's we've been desperate for 3 or 4 key players and we're still waiting for them now WHY?? And until that happens if we're all true to ourselves we won't be a true top 6 team. 

• Rovers 2

He is obviously missing the runs of Adobe one the pitch, but it could be that as the two are so close Afobe's tragic loss is affecting him too.  Looked like he wasn't with it at all against Millwall.

Footballers get lots of down time, and something like that can become all consuming.  

Say what you like about LJs coaching ability, but he strikes me as a thoughtful decent human being so I would not expect this to be cited as a reason for his absence if this was the case.  All conjecture of course.

Szmodics probably deserved an outing too.   Very difficult for him to make an instant impact with so little game time.

Edited by RedSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought: Palmer and Afobe got very close in the short time they were together at the club and have children of similar ages.  Is it possible that Palmer was deeply effected, more than some of the other players, by Amora's death?

• Like 6

I dont think Palmer did himself any favours when he came on against Millwall (not that the others were any good either). He definately misses the link up he developed with Afobe which was so good to watch as they helped each other and you could see he was enjoying it. 

The other problem Palmer has is that he's not great defensively and after the number of times he gave the ball away Tuesday probably did himself out of contention. Suprised he wasnt on the bench though.  

He is a good player though and we just have to find the way to link him up with the striker (hoping we bring re-inforcements in in January). Would love to see Asombalonga (not sure if that's how you spell his name) here but I know there are reasons it wont happen.

19 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Just a thought: Palmer and Afobe got very close in the short time they were together at the club and have children of similar ages.  Is it possible that Palmer was deeply effected, more than some of the other players, by Amora's death?

And Afobe's injury.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

surely if the manager wants to sign a player like he wanted palmer he must know how to get the best out of him. if he does not know then why did steve give him the go ahead to sign him. if i was Steve i would not give him another penny

And what advantage would that give?

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

I and others have said similar previously.

I was at the match yesterday so didn’t hear but it was said either on the tv or the radio that all the players are going to the funeral tomorrow, by coach so I am assuming it’s up north. I don’t think anyone can really be in the right frame of mind to work when they know they are attending a toddler’s funeral in the next day or so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RedM said:

I and others have said similar previously.

I was at the match yesterday so didn’t hear but it was said either on the tv or the radio that all the players are going to the funeral tomorrow, by coach so I am assuming it’s up north. I don’t think anyone can really be in the right frame of mind to work when they know they are attending a toddler’s funeral in the next day or so. 

I am as passionate about City as the next person, and have supported them for over half a century, but the day before yesterday’s game, I attended a friend’s funeral, could think of little else during the match, and couldn’t give a toss about the result - or the wearying negativity on OTIB that follows every disappointing result as surely as day follows night. Footballers are human, which some people would do well to remember.

• Like 6

On how to get the best out of him, we've seen how. When Afobe was playing , it clicked. Weimann and Afobe made runs, and the movement allowed KP to use the skills he has for the best. As has been said on another thread, our movement is poor, very poor. Put Palmer in a team like that and it takes away 60/70% of his game. I do wonder about giving him a run wide, in AW or NE's position, my feeling is it won't happen. If we get a mobile pace striker enduring Jan we may yet see KP firing again, hope so.

5 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

where was kasey yesterday. high earner and a top quality football player. another player lee has brought in but has no idea how to get the best out of him. please lets dont waste this talented player. surely steve must be thinking what is going on. 

Sat in the Lansdown stand..... first row behind the dugout... what do I win? ;)

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

I am as passionate about City as the next person, and have supported them for over half a century, but the day before yesterday’s game, I attended a friend’s funeral, could think of little else during the match, and couldn’t give a toss about the result - or the wearying negativity on OTIB that follows every disappointing result as surely as day follows night. Footballers are human, which some people would do well to remember.

My dads funeral is tomorrow and yes times like this effect everyone in different ways. However city players are well paid, they are professional footballers, some  were close to Afobe and some not so close as Afobe ,  the performance yesterday was diabolical to say the least. City players are professionals and if not in a comfortable state of mind of which I can understand should say to the Gov put me on the bench.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, City oz said:

My dads funeral is tomorrow and yes times like this effect everyone in different ways. However city players are well paid, they are professional footballers, some  were close to Afobe and some not so close as Afobe ,  the performance yesterday was diabolical to say the least. City players are professionals and if not in a comfortable state of mind of which I can understand should say to the Gov put me on the bench.

What does their pay have to do with it?

No matter how much someone is paid they can still have emotions?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

surely if the manager wants to sign a player like he wanted palmer he must know how to get the best out of him. if he does not know then why did steve give him the go ahead to sign him. if i was Steve i would not give him another penny. 

He was getting the best out of him before Afobe got injured. 

He can't magic his leg back together..  

FFS.

4 minutes ago, J-mat said:

He was getting the best out of him before Afobe got injured. 

He can't magic his leg back together..  

FFS.

He wasnt getting the best out of him....two good balls all season and one header.....other than that he has done sweet **** all

1 hour ago, Lez said:

He wasnt getting the best out of him....two good balls all season and one header.....other than that he has done sweet **** all

Bit harsh, he was central to the good run of form we had when he was playing behind Weimann and Afobe. 

• Like 1

It's not just Kasey's fault the runs of Weimann are so erratic I'm not sure any of our players can predict where he will be. [Pack didn't either and Massengo isn't making any connsistent forward passes to the strikers - does he have an assist this season?]

Sometime Weimann's desire to run possibly just confuses the midfield.

I think Afobe and Palmer were a partnership because Palmer could better predict the runs he would make - have a look at Weimann next home game, he peels this way and that. It's no surprise no midfielder has ever connected.

And for all his strengths, Fam is not someone to play intricate football with - he wants it delivered in front of him - something the whole team struggled with the last two games.

I just think KP is desperate to get back in the team - he came here to play football and must be as frustrated as us.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

What does their pay have to do with it?

No matter how much someone is paid they can still have emotions?

Agreed but if your mind is not focused as a professional player then dont play. Don’t tell me the city players do not have support around these unfortunate occurrences as they definitely have in regards to psychology, religion and mental well being on hand 24/7