IGNORED

The negativity

italian dave

a main reason we been in and around the play off still this season is because of Dan Bentley id dread to think where we would be if wasn’t for him 

Seen on the forum a few people saying we outplayed Fulham we got lucky that a poor referee decision went our way for once 

our home performances this season let alone the last 2 hasn’t been good enough 

says we’re to powder puff as a team but he brought most of the squad wants a leader in the team but doesn’t like it when people challenge his methods 

Been saying it since October time for a change whilst their are managers out of work that are better 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

...here on OTIB really is something else.

Six days ago we're joint third the the Championship, riding high on two impressive wins, and today all the familiar old mood hoovers are out in force, calling for Johnson's head, and apparently glorying in the fact that two defeats justifies their negativity. It really feels like they've been just been waiting and hoping....

We really would be the laughing stock of the football world if we sacked LJ now. He's consistently improved our league position every year, and is currently on course to do the same again this year. For anyone who says that the footballs not always great, think back to the times over the years when we've had spells of producing some great football and losing 2-3 every week, and how we were then told that it's results, points, league position that really count.

We switched formations four games ago and that same formation has gone from being evidence that the fans were right all along to evidence that LJ doesn't know how to set teams up. And I'm sure if he had changed the accusation wouldn't have been tinkering again!

To suggest that Johnson has 'taken us as far as he can' is frankly ludicrous, given the above. How can anyone know that? And the return of the personal abuse and name calling is just pathetic.

Football at this level is a game of fantastically fine margins. Fulham get that penalty and Mitrovic puts away one of those chances and we've lost that game. Weimann puts away that chance on Tuesday night, or Williams and Weimann/Fam put away two of the easiest chances we'll get all season yesterday, and both are different games.

Im not blind to our faults and problems. The last two were very disappointing. Tuesday just seemed to be one of those where every player bar probably Fam decide to have a bad night. We've changed approach and decided to use Eliasson (which everyone here was calling for) and it worked twice. Against Millwall and Blackburn it didn't. Millwall filled the box with 5 giants and won every high ball, Blackburn worked very hard at stopping him getting those crosses in. We didn't have a plan B.

But it happens. No-one is writing Fulham off after three straight defeats. And I'm certainly not writing us of the way some on here seem to be doing, and even enjoying doing in some cases. 

I would be very surprised if ANY poster on here enjoyed city losing a game, there are posters such as myself who have been there done that and bought not just the T shirt but the shorts to match, after living through city doing this sort of thing (building up our hopes only to dash them yet again) you'll forgive us for being a bit critical, we wish we didn't have to be but we feel the need to balance out the relentless optimism that no matter how s**t we are doing, some posters  as the song goes always look on the bright side of life. 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

and around 2yrs ago we were up Wolves backside in the same position, guess what we failed to strengthen and build in the window and fell away down the league and the likes of Wolves, Sheff Utd long past us and in a different league, one we remain a long long way from..... still. Forever building but never completing as we always knock it down. Will we ever finish building?

Good point, and if I have a worry it's this. I don't think it's of LJ's choice, and I suspect it frustrates him. But we have made it clear that we're only going to survive by buying cleverly and selling expensively. And it's certainly worked the past 2-3 years. But I hope that's not going to lure us into thinking it will always work. Some years back the other lot used to pluck a striker from non league very summer and sell for £1m the next summer. They started to think that would work every time, and when it didn't was arguably the start of their downfall. At some point we have to keep the Websters if we're really going to progress.

41 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Yeah. It's fine. It's second division football. We try to build from the back and we work hard out of possession. 

We lack quality in the final third. 

But it's fine. 

You must be very easily pleased but City's football at AG really is not fine.

It's all too often stultifying, and the 'lack of quality in the final third' means nothing when we create so little for our forwards.

Yesterday we were awful, again, and the fans had every right to exit en masse.

On the day the players and the coach thoroughly deserved to see the stadium emptying as a judgement on the terrible lacklustre fare they served up.

'Building from the back' is indefensibly tedious when you end up building nothing.

I can only think of two occasions where we came out the blocks from the first minute at home and took it to the opposition in the last two years.

One was West Brom last season, the other  was Huddersfield a couple weeks back. Doesn’t make a great reading does it? 

We say it too often that the play and tempo in our game has been too slow. Can you imagine a Chris Wilder’s team with similar resources last season in the Championship, come up with performances like that? 

It’s all too indecisive, lethargic and safe. I’d like to see us get into the opposition and take risks. I often wonder if LJ complicates things too much and that can replicate on the players.

It's the consistent level of inconsistency in our play that drives us supporters mad. For every Fulham and Cardiff away there's a Barnsley and West Brom. 

For every Huddersfield at home there's a Millwall and a Blackburn. 

This is the reason that I feel that we won't get promoted under junior. I have no faith in him. After the last 2 home performances were all expecting his usual mid season slump and slide down the league. And that's the cause of the fans on here calling for change. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't know if many are calling for LJ's head but you can hardly blame fans for venting their dissatisfaction after the last 2 atrocious home performances.

Really dispiriting sitting through games at AG, with minimal entertainment and excitement.

I don't see it as 'negativity' to say it how it is.

Most of us would love to be positive - just give us some football to enthuse about LJ.

That’s right. More than happy to be positive and give credit where due but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be criticised when it’s fair to.

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

You honestly think the football at Ashton Gate is fine, I’ve been watching for nearly 30 years it’s crap.

You’ve been watching “crap” for 30 years? Why on earth would you do that? 

I’m reminded of a well known quote from Albert Einstein. Einstein was of course a physicist, but he would probably have made a half-decent psychologist, if he’d been so minded. He was once asked how he would define madness. He unhesitatingly replied “repeating the same actions over and over again, and expecting a different outcome “.

You might want to reflect on the question that I find myself asking almost every time I read OTIB: might your posts say more about you than they do about the football?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's fine margins as the op pointed out. If we were doing as you say, we'd be top 2. We aren't...we are doing pretty much the same as the top two thirds of this league. Playing inconsistently. Which is the level most are at...we aren't a top Two side.

Not sure about that.

Most Championship sides are inconsistent when it comes to results, but I'm not sure many others are as inconsistent as City when it comes to performances.

'On our day' we can look like automatic promotion contenders - that's where the hope comes from - at other times, for no apparent reason we can genuinely look like one of the most clueless teams in the division - that's the regular deflating kick in the goolies for the fans.

Imo. there's a standard of performance any well coached and well organised team should never, or very rarely, fall below, but City are capable of completely losing their way, running out of ideas, and just looking shockingly poor.

Do you believe most other Championship teams vary so markedly in their performance levels?

The generally negativity comes from not having fun when you go to Ashton Gate. You're told by Bristol sport you're a customer who's out for a days entertainment, and you're not entertained by your match day experience, so you're entitled to complain.

I think generally you see most people are smart enough to see things are generally improving, and are happy with the direction of the club from a football league table position standpoint. But are they having fun? Was yesterday "fun"?

A lot of their complaints are misdirected and wrong IMO, but to expect someone who isn't happy to be happy shows a lack of empathy 

1 hour ago, Bernard Lerring said:

I think this is where the negativity comes from... if 90% of our fans only ever see us play at home, how could they not be negative after what we've been witnessing at the gate for the last season and a half?i

I resent that. I went Barnsley. We were even worse than we were against Millwall. 

We sourced 2 goals from Narnia. 

19 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

You’ve been watching “crap” for 30 years? Why on earth would you do that? 

I’m reminded of a well known quote from Albert Einstein. Einstein was of course a physicist, but he would probably have made a half-decent psychologist, if he’d been so minded. He was once asked how he would define madness. He unhesitatingly replied “repeating the same actions over and over again, and expecting a different outcome “.

You might want to reflect on the question that I find myself asking almost every time I read OTIB: might your posts say more about you than they do about the football?

My post must of come across wrong cliff, I didn’t mean it’s been crap for 30 years, I ment what I’ve been watching now is crap

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

We really would be the laughing stock of the football world if we sacked LJ now....

I’m not sure the football world cares that much about us - but was Southampton FC a ‘laughing stock’ when they sacked Adkins after he had taken them from league one to the premier league with back to back promotions? And when he got the Saints promoted from the championship they remained in the top two for the entire season. He was the first Southampton manager ever to achieve successive promotions but four months after taking them up into the premier league he was sacked. Not sure many thought they were a laughing stock when Pochettino replaced him.... and WBA haven’t struggled since sacking Darren Moore when they were 4th in the championship - and the reason for his sacking? Poor home results ... just as players are only suited to certain levels of football, so are managers - in my opinion, we wouldn’t be seen as a laughing stock if LJ went, if anyone outside our fan base cared, we’d be seen as ambitious - in the same way Southampton and WBA were ....

I've been saying we're sh** for most of the season. Results do tell a slightly different story, but I stand 100% behind the view that we are garbage at home and have been for a long time. 

Read my posts if you like - countless times I've said we can't do the basics right and there is only one person responsible. 

And now he says he wants to be world class at the basics. He's barely league 1 at them. 

Inevitably, the results are adjusting to meet the performances.

4 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

What do you mean "still in 7th".  We were 4th for the last two games.

As opposed to struggling in the bottom half of the table, level with 6th and 2 points behind 3rd, Fulham have lost 3 in a row should Parker be sacked? Preston lose 3 in a row should Neil have been sacked? 

52 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

J-mat if facts are your thing and City according to you build from the back why do City play so many long balls? v Cardiff City played more from the opponents?? fact.

Because every game is different. Because if the ball is going to be in your box a lot and a team plays a very high press sometimes the best way to attack that is to hit channels. 

Do you think Liverpool play out from the back? Or play long? Because they do both. 

I was asked what our identity was, and it's that. 

Because generally we look to build via the pivot, break lines and either attack through the middle (Weimann or Adobe) or via the wings (to cross to Diedhiou)

Dasilva injury has hurt us badly, as the attacking full backs on both sides would have given us more offensive balance. More overloads. Rowe has done a great job, but he's nowhere near as dynamic as we need him to be..

We are fine, we play perfectly fine football and we are in and around the playoffs in the most competitive division in the world.

This is literally the best we've known it at Ashton Gate in c.40 years. 

Boomers whinging about stuff seems to be a running societal thing, though. 

Just now, hodge said:

As opposed to struggling in the bottom half of the table, level with 6th and 2 points behind 3rd, Fulham have lost 3 in a row should Parker be sacked? Preston lose 3 in a row should Neil have been sacked? 

Don’t think it’s all about results hodge, people are fed up with home performances, with a lot of justification 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I've been saying we're sh** for most of the season. Results do tell a slightly different story, but I stand 100% behind the view that we are garbage at home and have been for a long time. 

Read my posts if you like - countless times I've said we can't do the basics right and there is only one person responsible. 

And now he says he wants to be world class at the basics. He's barely league 1 at them. 

Inevitably, the results are adjusting to meet the performances.

I honestly wish to god you were our manager. 

2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Don’t think it’s all about results hodge, people are fed up with home performances, with a lot of justification 

Is it just because they're the home performances though so more fans see it? If our home/away points records were swapped would people be okay with it?  

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

He's brought in absolute fortunes compared to our previous managers. 

For 60 years watching City, I dont go down to consider how much has been spent, brought in, drink beer, I go down to watch and be entertained by the team since a boy I have supported with my hard earned income. Not much to ask for 90 minutes a fortnight by overpaid athletic and fit young men so people like me have a right to complain with the current dross being served up by our present head coach

Archived