IGNORED

The negativity

italian dave

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not sure the football world cares that much about us - but was Southampton FC a ‘laughing stock’ when they sacked Adkins after he had taken them from league one to the premier league with back to back promotions? And when he got the Saints promoted from the championship they remained in the top two for the entire season. He was the first Southampton manager ever to achieve successive promotions but four months after taking them up into the premier league he was sacked. Not sure many thought they were a laughing stock when Pochettino replaced him.... and WBA haven’t struggled since sacking Darren Moore when they were 4th in the championship - and the reason for his sacking? Poor home results ... just as players are only suited to certain levels of football, so are managers - in my opinion, we wouldn’t be seen as a laughing stock if LJ went, if anyone outside our fan base cared, we’d be seen as ambitious - in the same way Southampton and WBA were ....

.....or Ipswich, or Birmingham...?

2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Because every game is different. Because if the ball is going to be in your box a lot and a team plays a very high press sometimes the best way to attack that is to hit channels. 

Do you think Liverpool play out from the back? Or play long? Because they do both. 

I was asked what our identity was, and it's that. 

Because generally we look to build via the pivot, break lines and either attack through the middle (Weimann or Adobe) or via the wings (to cross to Diedhiou)

Dasilva injury has hurt us badly, as the attacking full backs on both sides would have given us more offensive balance. More overloads. Rowe has done a great job, but he's nowhere near as dynamic as we need him to be..

We are fine, we play perfectly fine football and we are in and around the playoffs in the most competitive division in the world.

This is literally the best we've known it at Ashton Gate in c.40 years. 

Boomers whinging about stuff seems to be a running societal thing, though. 

You sound like you’ve eaten a coaching manual, another way of saying we hit the channels is we just lump it, in your opinion why are we so poor defensively 

1 minute ago, oldstandrobin said:

For 60 years watching City, I dont go down to consider how much has been spent, brought in, drink beer, I go down to watch and be entertained by the team since a boy I have supported with my hard earned income. Not much to ask for 90 minutes a fortnight by overpaid athletic and fit young men so people like me have a right to complain with the current dross being served up by our present head coach

You're a supporter. Not a customer. 

6 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

My post must of come across wrong cliff, I didn’t mean it’s been crap for 30 years, I ment what I’ve been watching now is crap

Well, I’m relieved to hear it, if only for your sake, but I’m still amazed that anyone who’s been around that long and seen what I’ve seen in that time still thinks this is bad. I mean, I know you didn’t watch City plummeting from the old First Division to the Fourth, in successive seasons, and almost go out of existence, but 7th in the Championship and you’re complaining? Really? You must look at life from a very different perspective to me.

Just now, CliftonCliff said:

Well, I’m relieved to hear it, if only for your sake, but I’m still amazed that anyone who’s been around that long and seen what I’ve seen in that time still thinks this is bad. I mean, I know you didn’t watch City plummeting from the old First Division to the Fourth, in successive seasons, and almost go out of existence, but 7th in the Championship and you’re complaining? Really? You must look at life from a very different perspective to me.

7th or not the football on offer at home in my opinion is still shit.

4 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

You sound like you’ve eaten a coaching manual, another way of saying we hit the channels is we just lump it, in your opinion why are we so poor defensively 

Is this that Brexit thing where we belittle people for being experienced and qualified to talk about subjects and just believe our own minds and nothing else? 

Cool.

to be honest I wish the moaning bastards would just do the world a favour and stop going altogether. Astonishing that so many can't see what the club is trying to build nor the progress being made. Since when did our fanbase become so privileged and entitled, where the hell did that come from?

Just now, J-mat said:

Is this that Brexit thing where we belittle people for being experienced and qualified to talk about subjects and just believe our own minds and nothing else? 

Cool.

Bringing brexit into it that’s brilliant, you’re not coming across like you know what you’re talking about, anyone can spout on about over loads and hitting channels it doesn’t mean you know what you’re on about.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Is it just because they're the home performances though so more fans see it? If our home/away points records were swapped would people be okay with it?  

Much more so of course, 9 out of 10 fans rarely go away.

We pay £500 or whatever up front to watch City at AG and we've every right to expect much more entertainment and excitement for our money.

Complete waste of money otherwise, and a frustrating and unenjoyable way to waste it as well!

LJ absolutely needs to make it a priority to give the home fans something to shout about.

2 hours ago, J-mat said:

Great post. 

The worst part about Ashton Gate isn't the football, which is absolutely fine. It's sitting down knowing you're going to have to over hear absolute garbage coming from the mouths of people with no grasp of tactics let alone coaching. 

Watch with headphones in now. Sooner listen to nails down a chalkboard on repeat for 2 hours than those drips

Shocking really. People who have paid good money to be entertained and enjoy a game of football daring to express their opinions. And to make it worse they don't agree with you.

Just now, glen humphries said:

Bringing brexit into it that’s brilliant, you’re not coming across like you know what you’re talking about, anyone can spout on about over loads and hitting channels it doesn’t mean you know what you’re on about.

I'm comfortable assuming I have contributed more to the sport, more to the development of academy standard footballers and more to any tactical discussion than you have in your billion years of watching. 

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

to be honest I wish the moaning bastards would just do the world a favour and stop going altogether. Astonishing that so many can't see what the club is trying to build nor the progress being made. Since when did our fanbase become so privileged and entitled, where the hell did that come from?

I think getting a happy medium would be good between the moaners and those that think lj can do no wrong, if lj came out now and again and held his hands up and said that performance was my fault he’d get a bit more respect from me .

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

what I really fear the most is a period of bad luck. Or Bentley going off the boil, because then there’ll really be trouble. 

Maybe it needs to happen to make Johnson reconsider our approach at home (just as injuries have forced his hand on team selection in the past), and prompt some difficult questions about what it would really take for us to rise above the level of "also rans".

At the moment that seems miles away due to our inconsistency 

2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I'm comfortable assuming I have contributed more to the sport, more to the development of academy standard footballers and more to any tactical discussion than you have in your billion years of watching. 

Assume what you want mate, billon years watching? , I recon you’re a Sunday morning kids coach, you’ve been brain washed by coaching manuals 

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Is it just because they're the home performances though so more fans see it? If our home/away points records were swapped would people be okay with it?  

Actually our away form is only 3 points better than our home form, if we had won yesterday it would have been the same, so a slight myth we are loads better away 

10 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Since when did highlighting long-standing terrible home performances become "entitlement". 

I'm not asking for him to be sacked, but for him to acknowledge the problem and put in place a plan to address it. If he's unable to do so then it makes sense for the club to have a clear plan on how they can address it if LJ can't. 

I really can't see why you have such a problem with debating.

Its a basic human attribute. Calling people bastards for stating their point clearly shows you don't have it. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Since when did highlighting long-standing terrible home performances become "entitlement". 

I'm not asking for him to be sacked, but for him to acknowledge the problem and put in place a plan to address it. If he's unable to do so then it makes sense for the club to have a clear plan on how they can address it if LJ can't. 

I really can't see why you have such a problem with debating.

Its a basic human attribute. Calling people bastards for stating their point clearly shows you don't have it. 

I think you're definitely one of the board's more fragile flowers if you feel offended by the term 'moaning bastards' - it's a general term, the sort you'd bandy around in the pub, but thanks nonetheless for suggesting I lack basic human attributes. 

My 'problem', as you term it, stems mainly from the fact that this 'debate' seems anything but a 'debate', rather an ongoing witch hunt. A debate suggests a constructive argument, yet I can't see anything remotely constructive in any of the numerous threads relating to LJ (let alone this one), nor anything remotely constructive about fomenting a toxic atmosphere. But maybe my lack of vision is another basic attribute I so sadly lack. 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I think you're definitely one of the board's more fragile flowers if you feel offended by the term 'moaning bastards' - it's a general term, the sort you'd bandy around in the pub, but thanks nonetheless for suggesting I lack basic human attributes. 

My 'problem', as you term it, stems mainly from the fact that this 'debate' seems anything but a 'debate', rather an ongoing witch hunt. A debate suggests a constructive argument, yet I can't see anything remotely constructive in any of the numerous threads relating to LJ (let alone this one), nor anything remotely constructive about fomenting a toxic atmosphere. But maybe my lack of vision is another basic attribute I so sadly lack. 

Just wondering what you make of our home performances over the last couple of seasons, are you enjoying the home games?

29 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

What are we trying to achieve on the pitch?

29 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Don't think the club would be happy with 10,000 paying customers though. 

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

Just wondering what you make of our home performances over the last couple of seasons, are you enjoying the home games?

Certainly more so than the performances that were dished up under Russel Osman, Tony Pulis, SOD and god knows how many other genuinely tragic managers we have had. People do realize we're not going to get Guardiola or Klopp is LJ went? 

There is definitely something a little amiss and I'm not so blinkered as to deny that it is frustrating, but when you weigh the volume of the criticism against the reasons we have for optimism it's absolutely incredible - you'd think this club was tailspinning towards catastrophe. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You must be very easily pleased but City's football at AG really is not fine.

It's all too often stultifying, and the 'lack of quality in the final third' means nothing when we create so little for our forwards.

Yesterday we were awful, again, and the fans had every right to exit en masse.

On the day the players and the coach thoroughly deserved to see the stadium emptying as a judgement on the terrible lacklustre fare they served up.

'Building from the back' is indefensibly tedious when you end up building nothing.

Well said Nogbad

4 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Don't think the club would be happy with 10,000 paying customers though. 

Definitely not, personally mind, I used to prefer Ashton Gate in the days when we were pulling six or so thousand - feels remarkable to think, but it was a better atmosphere than these days when we're regularly pulling 20,000. 

Must admit the last two games have been poor and these type of performances have been happening for over a year now, I don’t go to Ashton Gate expecting a win any more. Despite this I do think losing Afobe has been a massive blow for us. He was just what we needed and there was a wave of optimism about our club as we gradually improved as a team. Let’s hope we can get a decent striker in soon! 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Certainly more so than the performances that were dished up under Russel Osman, Tony Pulis, SOD and god knows how many other genuinely tragic managers we have had. People do realize we're not going to get Guardiola or Klopp is LJ went? 

There is definitely something a little amiss and I'm not so blinkered as to deny that it is frustrating, but when you weigh the volume of the criticism against the reasons we have for optimism it's absolutely incredible - you'd think this club was tailspinning towards catastrophe. 

Just because it was really shit then doesn’t mean we have to put up with shit now, nobody in their right mind can think it’s good to watch at home, it’s mind numbing 

Archived