IGNORED

Rough Memories of the FA Cup

ExiledAjax

When hungover on a Sunday morning I like to put a podcast on over breakfast. This morning I was treated to this: https://player.fm/series/the-football-ramble-53763/the-blizzard-cambridge-united-5-1-bristol-city-1990

That's right. Max Rushden, Jonathan Wilson and Marcus from Football Ramble dissecting a historic game. A game which we lost 5-1 away at Cambridge in the second replay of the 1989/90 FA Cup 5th Round. A game which the podcast blurb describes like this "...John Beck’s genius philosophy of: 1) every marginal gain is a necessity and 2) pump the ball down the channels. This philosophy took Bristol City to pieces...

Now look, I know this isn't what people want after a 2-0 home loss...but maybe it serves as a memory that things used to much worse? I was very young and don't know the game at all so it was at least intriguing. Gently amusing to hear of 10-year-old Max being overawed by a "massive" old Ashton Gate.

Was anyone there? Attendance just over 9,000 according to the video below.

Anyone know the team we put out - doesn't get much of a discussion.

Anyway, this did absolutely nothing to alleviate my hangover. I'm going to the beach instead.

I was there. Think I was with @weepywall and Ricky M from Bath (RIP) and a few others.

Cambridge Uniteds ground was tight and we were poked away in the corner by the flag. We were hammered. Might only be circa 9K in the ground but it felt like 90K to me.
It was a bloody long way to get there and even further going home.

I was there and it was awful.

You had to walk across a field to get to the away end with no lighting and I tripped over an abandoned shopping trolley skinning most of my leg.

The game was dreadful and the fact that we`d played them three times in a fortnight didn`t help.

IIRC the venue for this game was decided by the toss of a coin after the first replay.

CUFC had Dion Dublin & Steve Claridge up front I think and they tore us apart.

39 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

5 of us drove from Bridgwater genuinely believing it was just a formality and looking forward to the next round

30 years later and some things don’t change .......

Haha you thought it was a formality after they'd taken us to a second replay. A true fan.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was there, went to the first replay too  -  1-1 draw - two trips to Cambridge in one week! Happy days! 

I`ll never forget that sinking feeling after we lost the toss for choice of venue. Oh Christ, all the bloody way up here again.

Reminds me of the interminable cup tie v Alderbloodyshot!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

When hungover on a Sunday morning I like to put a podcast on over breakfast. This morning I was treated to this: https://player.fm/series/the-football-ramble-53763/the-blizzard-cambridge-united-5-1-bristol-city-1990

That's right. Max Rushden, Jonathan Wilson and Marcus from Football Ramble dissecting a historic game. A game which we lost 5-1 away at Cambridge in the second replay of the 1989/90 FA Cup 5th Round. A game which the podcast blurb describes like this "...John Beck’s genius philosophy of: 1) every marginal gain is a necessity and 2) pump the ball down the channels. This philosophy took Bristol City to pieces...

Now look, I know this isn't what people want after a 2-0 home loss...but maybe it serves as a memory that things used to much worse? I was very young and don't know the game at all so it was at least intriguing. Gently amusing to hear of 10-year-old Max being overawed by a "massive" old Ashton Gate.

Anyway, this did absolutely nothing to alleviate my hangover. I'm going to the beach instead.

Was that the game where there was a fair bit of trouble during the game, mainly fighting with the police?

Went to both games, a mate drove from Plymouth (where he was working) to watch this game. I remember nothing about the actual game, but looking at the book , the team was....

Leaning
Llewellyn 
Bailey
Shelton
Humphries
Rennie
Gavin*
Newman
Taylor
Smith
Turner
Sub..
Mellon*

Yes i went to both those games was a penalty shoot out for the 2nd venue of the replay or was it a coin toss?

We had a coin toss for one venue replay that year never known that before, cant recall if it was this game or the walsall game.

Every game in the fa cup that season we seemed to have terrible rain.

Barnet, swindon, chelsea, cambridge at home heavens opened.

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Was Gary Johnson Beck's assistant for that game and LJ one of the ballboys?

From Wikipedia:

Johnson was the manager at Newmarket Town, when he was persuaded to join Cambridge United as reserve team manager in 1988. Appointed as assistant manager in 1990, Johnson helped John Beck organise the U's remarkable rise in the early 1990s, in which they came within two matches of becoming the first club to rise from the old Fourth Division to the top flight in successive seasons (Northampton Town having spent two seasons in both the third and second divisions before promotion to the first division in 1966). Johnson was briefly caretaker manager in late 1992 and then took charge from 1993 until 1995. Under Johnson's stewardship, the U's were contenders for a play-off place in Division Two in 1993–94, before eventually finishing tenth. The following season, many players were sold to balance the books and Johnson moved to take over at Kettering Town.

I remember LJ mentioning a match where Cambridge were leading by the odd goal and he refused to return the ball quickly to the opposing goalie, who took 'umbrage' to the situation.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

From Wikipedia:

Johnson was the manager at Newmarket Town, when he was persuaded to join Cambridge United as reserve team manager in 1988. Appointed as assistant manager in 1990, Johnson helped John Beck organise the U's remarkable rise in the early 1990s, in which they came within two matches of becoming the first club to rise from the old Fourth Division to the top flight in successive seasons (Northampton Town having spent two seasons in both the third and second divisions before promotion to the first division in 1966). Johnson was briefly caretaker manager in late 1992 and then took charge from 1993 until 1995. Under Johnson's stewardship, the U's were contenders for a play-off place in Division Two in 1993–94, before eventually finishing tenth. The following season, many players were sold to balance the books and Johnson moved to take over at Kettering Town.

I remember LJ mentioning a match where Cambridge were leading by the odd goal and he refused to return the ball quickly to the opposing goalie, who took 'umbrage' to the situation.

So perfectly possible that a 9 year-old Lee Johnson was a ball boy as his dad was assistant manager (may have still been reserve manager depending on when in 1990 he was promoted).

On 15/12/2019 at 14:59, ExiledAjax said:

Didn’t go to that game but I went to the replay up there , drew 1-1 I think 

What i love about this post is two things. I was at all 3 games v CUFC and of course the cup run including the epic victory over Chelski which ended with that 5-1 so we do have it good and easy these days. 

Second thing i like is i can note the names of people on this thread as they are clearly hardened, long-serving City fans. In the wider subjects on otib it is hard to spot us 'old hands' from the newbies who just moan that all things today are rubbish. 

Great thread, more like this please. 

Archived