Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

OneTeamInBristol

Players to move on

Recommended Posts

I'm aware this will be an unpopular opinion and I'm ready for the onslaught but I would move the following players on in Jan or the summer (assuming we stay in the Champ):

Palmer - too inconsistent and doesn't seem to fit any of our current play styles. Luxury player, but do we need that?

O'Dowda - goes missing for months on end, will get the most for him now due to new contract.

Baker - solid enough CB but makes too many rash mistakes. Future of the defence should be built around Kalas and Moore.

Walsh - doing well on loan but can't see him making a place in the starting XI with Brownhill, Massengo, Nagy, Smith, Morrell, Bakinson in the same position.

Watkins - useful player but not used enough, surely use wages better elsewhere.

Adelakun - is he even real? Never physically seen him in person.

 

None of them are bad players just feel like we could get some better/more useful replacements for the money we would get for some of these.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I'm aware this will be an unpopular opinion and I'm ready for the onslaught but I would move the following players on in Jan or the summer (assuming we stay in the Champ):

Palmer - too inconsistent and doesn't seem to fit any of our current play styles. Luxury player, but do we need that?

O'Dowda - goes missing for months on end, will get the most for him now due to new contract.

Baker - solid enough CB but makes too many rash mistakes. Future of the defence should be built around Kalas and Moore.

Walsh - doing well on loan but can't see him making a place in the starting XI with Brownhill, Massengo, Nagy, Smith, Morrell, Bakinson in the same position.

Watkins - useful player but not used enough, surely use wages better elsewhere.

Adelakun - is he even real? Never physically seen him in person.

 

None of them are bad players just feel like we could get some better/more useful replacements for the money we would get for some of these.

I think the same, but i think Baker should stay.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmer😂

Let’s get rid of the one player that can break down a defense. We can just play Szmodics right? He will run around a lot so that will make it ok. 
 

I’d rather ship out Weimann than Palmer. Get an actual striker in who makes striker runs and finds space in the box. 
 

Agree about most the others except Baker. Expensive but think you need 3 champ CBs and not sure Williams is here next season. Add Vyner to it and that should be plenty of cb cover

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Anyone know why Palmer wasn't on the bench Saturday? That was a game that was crying out for a player like him to come on.

My interpretation of what has been said is that Szmodics has been killing it in training, and Palmer presumably hasn't been. Which really is how competition for places should work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Anyone know why Palmer wasn't on the bench Saturday? That was a game that was crying out for a player like him to come on.

Johnson wasn’t happy with his performance on Tuesday night so dropped him (evening post interview)

i agree that the game was crying for him should have been on the bench  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mozo said:

My interpretation of what has been said is that Szmodics has been killing it in training, and Palmer presumably hasn't been. Which really is how competition for places should work.

True enough, which would maybe explain why Szmodics was on the bench instead of Palmer, but I would still think Palmer would have made the greater difference Saturday. He would have struggled to make less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmer was unplayable when Afobe was fit, he just needs a striker that plays off the shoulder. There is no way he should be moved on. If we get the right forward in Jan then he will show his quality again. 

Baker is decent back up, I’d keep him too.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Laner said:

I'd suggest Semenyo could do with a further loan spell at a lower league club. Get some games, goals and confidence.

Means we can only use 6 subs, unless you have another academy product to step up to the bench in mind?

However yes, it could do him some good IMO- but the above point also needs factoring in too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Christ I would not be getting rid of Palmer. 

You would instead find a formation that fits in the most talented player in the squad. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is, will we have many takers for most of these fringe players?

Unsure I'd move on Walsh just yet btw- he can fit into and compete if we finally move towards what I've felt we ultimately need, a bonafide 4-3-3 or similar- young enough to grow further, and goal and assist at QPR. His defensive side can let him down but that can be worked on, plus a three gives a bit more security/margin for error. Certainly no need to ship out Palmer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I'm aware this will be an unpopular opinion and I'm ready for the onslaught but I would move the following players on in Jan or the summer (assuming we stay in the Champ):

Palmer - too inconsistent and doesn't seem to fit any of our current play styles. Luxury player, but do we need that?

O'Dowda - goes missing for months on end, will get the most for him now due to new contract.

Baker - solid enough CB but makes too many rash mistakes. Future of the defence should be built around Kalas and Moore.

Walsh - doing well on loan but can't see him making a place in the starting XI with Brownhill, Massengo, Nagy, Smith, Morrell, Bakinson in the same position.

Watkins - useful player but not used enough, surely use wages better elsewhere.

Adelakun - is he even real? Never physically seen him in person.

 

None of them are bad players just feel like we could get some better/more useful replacements for the money we would get for some of these.

Patterson.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Means we can only use 6 subs, unless you have another academy product to step up to the bench in mind?

However yes, it could do him some good IMO- but the above point also needs factoring in too.

I'd not thought of that re: subs. However, I don't think he's good enough yet for the Championship, so won't be missing much with him not being on the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Highguy said:

Johnson wasn’t happy with his performance on Tuesday night so dropped him (evening post interview)

i agree that the game was crying for him should have been on the bench  

Does this mean Johnson will drop himself for the next game and put Macca in the dugout on his own? 

Seems fair. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Does this mean Johnson will drop himself for the next game and put Macca in the dugout on his own? 

Seems fair. 

 

Finger crossed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love all these threads that start with something like move players on as if we can just give them 4 hours notice. 

For any player to move there must be a willing buyer or there contract has ran out. 

If anyone was to move in January it would be the players that are attracting attention, Brownhill and to a lesser extent Elliason. There are plenty f rumours vis-a-vis Brownhill all I can see for Jan is incoming

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Anyone know why Palmer wasn't on the bench Saturday? That was a game that was crying out for a player like him to come on.

So was Millwall.....and that went well didn't it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Spoons said:

So was Millwall.....and that went well didn't it! 

 

17 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Exactly. 

0-2 down chasing a game is not a good time to bring on someone like Kasey Palmer.

0-0 struggling to break down a defence is. 

1-0 down v Charlton he came on- made a difference.

Brilliant pass for that Brownhill winner. Maybe had he been brought on at 1 down Saturday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Palmer😂

Let’s get rid of the one player that can break down a defense. We can just play Szmodics right? He will run around a lot so that will make it ok. 
 

I’d rather ship out Weimann than Palmer. Get an actual striker in who makes striker runs and finds space in the box. 
 

Agree about most the others except Baker. Expensive but think you need 3 champ CBs and not sure Williams is here next season. Add Vyner to it and that should be plenty of cb cover

I thought i was the only one who didn’t think weimann was all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walsh is statistically the highest rated player at Cov who are currently in the playoffs, we should definitely be looking to renew his contract or trigger an extension if we have one. 

We could really regret it in a few years otherwise. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Walsh is statistically the highest rated player at Cov who are currently in the playoffs, we should definitely be looking to renew his contract or trigger an extension if we have one. 

We could really regret it in a few years otherwise. 

I’ve not found anything that states we have a year option.  But as long as we offer improved terms (assuming we do), we would be due compensation in the summer.

Personally I think he might move on in January, could be to a Champ club (with an extension here), but I’m totally guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Patterson.

 

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Yes, would add him to the list.
Forgot about him as he's out on loan.

Pato can't go anywhere because he isn't allowed by the rules to play for 3 clubs in a season. He'll be back to stay, at least until the summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3 club rule in one season poses an issue tbh.

oh i was already thinking ahead toward summer, hence Wright/Adelukan. January window just loan out a few to cover wages if that helps get a striker in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, petehinton said:

oh i was already thinking ahead toward summer, hence Wright/Adelukan. January window just loan out a few to cover wages if that helps get a striker in. 

Ah thought you were talking about January.

Yeah, there are definitely some squad players we can shift in January- we'd get a profit on Wright that way for sure. Taylor too if Oxford look to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah thought you were talking about January.

Yeah, there are definitely some squad players we can shift in January- we'd get a profit on Wright that way for sure. Taylor too if Oxford look to buy.

I'm led to believe Taylor to Oxford will be made permanent pretty early on in Jan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine anyone buying Bailey Wright right now tbh.  Or Watkins for that matter.  And I'd imagine the wages they're on would make it unlikely that they'd move on for free either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Taylor, Wright, Watkins, Pato, Bakinson, Smith, Famara...sell and replace in Jan or Summer.

Bang on....would add Adelukan to that list - watched him & he seems lost,,bereft of confidence yet flashes of genuine ability..'maybe a head thing??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roe said:

I can't imagine anyone buying Bailey Wright right now tbh.  Or Watkins for that matter.  And I'd imagine the wages they're on would make it unlikely that they'd move on for free either.

Think we'd be ok with Watkins..

The gas can have Wright!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

 

Pato can't go anywhere because he isn't allowed by the rules to play for 3 clubs in a season. He'll be back to stay, at least until the summer.

Disappointing but let's hope he is gone in the summer then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January is approaching so we can play the OTIB scapegoat game where you sell any player who has annoyed you recently, regardless of the players wishes, wages, any potential buyer and fee.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GTFABM said:

I thought i was the only one who didn’t think weimann was all that.

I like him. Honest pro and can play a lot of positions but he isn’t the striker going to get us promoted. Part of it he doesn’t work as well with Fam but think that is Palmer’s problems as well yet Palmer gets the stick for it. Weimann is just another runner for me in a team full of them. Palmer one of very few with top level creativity, technique and skill. Think we need more of that not less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adelukan

Watkins

Diedhiou (only to help fund a replacement though)

Paterson

Rodri 

Loans for Semenyo, Bakinson and Szmodics (although this would mean we need to bring in two new strikers )

The academy player on the bench would be Janneh unless we bring back Max which I personally dont think would be in the best interests of his development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of it depends on what teams offer. I'd sell any player for the right price.

It would have to be crazy money to get our best young players like Bentley, Brownhill, Eliasson etc. 

But by next summer even the likes of Weimann and Hunt, both approaching 30 and with a year left on their deals in the summer. If a team comes in with pretty decent offers like Cardiff did with Pack, then i'd happily sell. Also obviously depending on who we look to bring in to replace them.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...