IGNORED

Antoine Semenyo

RoystonFoote'snephew

There is a lot of talk about sending Semenyo out on loan in January and LJ has hinted at such. I certainly think it would be of benefit to him. However, he is currently occupying the bench as our home grown player, so we're it to happen we will need to promote from the development squad or bring someone back from loan. I can't see us bringing back O'leary or Wollacott to replace Maanpaa on the bench, and I have doubts about bringing back Morrell into a crowded midfield. A return for Janneh perhaps, despite the apparent hunt for 2 strikers? Any other thoughts. 

I would loan Semenyo out if he can't even be trusted to come on when we look as bad as the last 2 games up front. I think midfield has been blamed for last 2 performances by many, but Weimann was so poor in both games.

I would probably recall Vyner and Morrell. Have either on the bench, with Morrell occasionally starting.

I believe LJ will be going back to a 352, and will bring in a type of striker to try and replicate how we played earlier in the season.

In that particular system I would trust Vyner in the right centre back role to come off the bench if needed.

Or Morrell to come off the bench or start when rotating Nagy or Massengo who look like they struggle to cope with 3 games in a week.

The 3 midfielders in a 352 would mean we are too overloaded with midfielders either with Morrell back. And who knows if Korey is to get injured again then we would have wished we'd recalled Morrell.

I would not bring back O'Leary as Maenpaa is such great cover. O'Leary will be ready for us next season i'm sure.

I guess we could otherwise go with one in our current under 23s. Towler looks really good. Surprised he is not out on loan. 

EDIT

I am saying recall Vyner because I am thinking we can sell Wright. 

And would not shock me if we sold Korey too, as both are coming to the end of their contracts. So it would be clearing the pathway for 2 club developed players in Vyner and Morrell. I hope we don't sell Korey though to be honest!

I think we should cashed in and sold him when Chelsea was sniffing around after his spell at newport we missed out

johnson recently said in an interview he lacks confidence and is shy when it comes to asking coaches for help or going over clips of footage, he wasn’t in any football academies so he needs extra coaching but if we loan him out he might not get the level of coaching he needs as the lower the leagues the lower the coaching quality so therefore would be better staying with us getting the suppose coaching he requires to improve and play for u23s and on bench for us as home grown player 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would loan Semenyo out if he can't even be trusted to come on when we look as bad as the last 2 games up front. I think midfield has been blamed for last 2 performances by many, but Weimann was so poor in both games.

I would probably recall Vyner and Morrell. Have either on the bench, with Morrell occasionally starting.

I believe LJ will be going back to a 352, and will bring in a type of striker to try and replicate how we played earlier in the season.

In that particular system I would trust Vyner in the right centre back role to come off the bench if needed.

Or Morrell to come off the bench or start when rotating Nagy or Massengo who look like they struggle to cope with 3 games in a week.

The 3 midfielders in a 352 would mean we are too overloaded with midfielders either with Morrell back. And who knows if Korey is to get injured again then we would have wished we'd recalled Morrell.

I would not bring back O'Leary as Maenpaa is such great cover. O'Leary will be ready for us next season i'm sure.

I guess we could otherwise go with one in our current under 23s. Towler looks really good. Surprised he is not out on loan. 

EDIT

I am saying recall Vyner because I am thinking we can sell Wright. 

And would not shock me if we sold Korey too, as both are coming to the end of their contracts. So it would be clearing the pathway for 2 club developed players in Vyner and Morrell. I hope we don't see Korey though to be honest!

Agree about Semenyo, needs to play and get some form.
Not sure about Vyner, but with Morrell's International appearances the step up fromL1 doesn't appear so big. Plus he has that edge and combative style we lack a bit of. 
OLeary doing a good job by the seem of things, 9 clean sheets in 17 games, better off staying there and playing.
I did think Cameron Pring might come back to be on the bench, but looks like he's stalled a bit. 2 games since September.
The other I wondered about was Jennah. Seems to have played regularly, but only just scored his first goals since he went back, scored 2 and an assist in the FA Trophy. 
It is an interesting question. Morrell would seem to be the answer, but as you say plenty of options for MF, would probably mean Szmodics and Korea not making the bench. Plenty of CB options too. Keeper? Would stop OLeary's development . If Pring had been playing there may have been an outside chance, so the only one I see as a real option is Jennah, but that would be a real step up. I have no Knowledge of the U23's , but anyone coming from them would really be just a bench filler. 
I don't think you're far off with Smith and Wright, we have the cover with younger players. I do think we need to move players on, and with Smith not getting a start in any of the last 3 games, I wonder if the writings on the wall. Then again, it is LJ so who knows.

PS: all figures from https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Agree about Semenyo, needs to play and get some form.
Not sure about Vyner, but with Morrell's International appearances the step up fromL1 doesn't appear so big. Plus he has that edge and combative style we lack a bit of. 
OLeary doing a good job by the seem of things, 9 clean sheets in 17 games, better off staying there and playing.
I did think Cameron Pring might come back to be on the bench, but looks like he's stalled a bit. 2 games since September.
The other I wondered about was Jennah. Seems to have played regularly, but only just scored his first goals since he went back, scored 2 and an assist in the FA Trophy. 
It is an interesting question. Morrell would seem to be the answer, but as you say plenty of options for MF, would probably mean Szmodics and Korea not making the bench. Plenty of CB options too. Keeper? Would stop OLeary's development . If Pring had been playing there may have been an outside chance, so the only one I see as a real option is Jennah, but that would be a real step up. I have no Knowledge of the U23's , but anyone coming from them would really be just a bench filler. 
I don't think you're far off with Smith and Wright, we have the cover with younger players. I do think we need to move players on, and with Smith not getting a start in any of the last 3 games, I wonder if the writings on the wall. Then again, it is LJ so who knows.

PS: all figures from https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

I think if we go back to a back 3 which I am guessing is LJ's plan, (he has hinted it a couple of times recently) it would really suit Vyner imo.

He has a decent amount of experience now at decent levels in the England and Scotland. And he is versatile, a ball playing defender which we need more of. Let's take that gamble of trusting him as back up from January instead of Wright. It's only really 5th choice centre back to Kalas, Williams, Moore and Baker.

I really like the look of Pring. He has been very unlucky with injuries. He really needs a whole season of games. He looks like a fantastic talent.

It might be that he is seen as ready by the time Rowe's contract is up in 2021. Athletically and technically Pring looks like he should be too good for league 2. I think they will slowly improve his levels by moving him up to league one next season and hopefully being ready for our squad the season after. I'm all for recalling him if he gets minutes with us though. He offers pace we are missing at left back or left wing back with Dasilva out.

I am a big Korey fan. But like you say I am not sure what LJ is planning with him. His contract is up in the summer, but no news of a new one so far.

I really don't see why Morrell can't come back and be included in the squad.

Maybe rotate them quite a bit, as we have seen Nagy and Massengo struggle with many games in a row, and Korey has had bad injuries and maybe needs to be managed more carefully than he was previously. Protect them and rotate them as they're all very good.

O'Leary shouldn't be recalled as then there is a chance he won't even play once for us if Bentley stays fit, and of course we still have Maenpaa too. With outfield players it is different as they can be rotated.

Janneh looks like another superb prospect. And I think I remember LJ said something about the Torquay deal being a short one for him to get his fitness back before being recalled to our first team squad. I imagine off the bench he may be more of an obvious goal threat than Semenyo is.

But I wonder if LJ is planning on bringing in 2 quality strikers in January. He has said he wants to play 2 strikers in the side, and he has said we need 4 strikers competing.

Obviously Rodri will be let go. So if he brings in 2 quality strikers to compete with Fam and Weimann, then I can't see how Janneh makes our bench.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Obviously Rodri will be let go. So if he brings in 2 quality strikers to compete with Fam and Weimann, then I can't see how Janneh makes our bench.

That's the crux of it, everything depends on our recruitment in January. If LJ gets what he wants, as in 2 new strikers, then I think you're right, Jennah stays at Torquay. If he gets one, or even none (which I doubt) then I could see Jennah possibly come back. I'd love to see Morrell on the bench, I rate him, then I rate Walsh so what do I know? As I said above, he has that bite and edge we may be lacking, loved him in the cup game winding the Everton players up. 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

That's the crux of it, everything depends on our recruitment in January. If LJ gets what he wants, as in 2 new strikers, then I think you're right, Jennah stays at Torquay. If he gets one, or even none (which I doubt) then I could see Jennah possibly come back. I'd love to see Morrell on the bench, I rate him, then I rate Walsh so what do I know? As I said above, he has that bite and edge we may be lacking, loved him in the cup game winding the Everton players up. 

I rate Walsh. His passing with either foot and his first touch is real quality imo. This loan seems to be great for him, and something he should have had last season and maybe season before that too. He needed these games he is now getting. Really hope he signs a new deal with us.

Another thing about recalling Morrell is that Korey is not the only injury prone midfielder we have. So far Nagy has been out injured more than he has been fit for us. And I remember the Barnsley game where we let in 2 late goals and were crying out for a Morrell type in there.

Add to that Massengo is only 18, it seems like a sensible move to bring back Morrell.

Yes your'e right about Janneh. If we only sign one striker then Janneh simply takes Semenyo's place on the bench and Semenyo is loaned out.

If we sign no strikers then I am seriously worried!

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we sign no strikers then I am seriously worried!

That really is worst case scenario , hope they have plenty of targets lined up. I would guess a loan is most likely, and easier to line up for the start of the window, in theory. January , as we know , is a difficult and expensive time for deals .

44 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Elaborate

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Or possibly the lad just hasn’t stepped up as was envisaged when he was recalled.

What would you have done Dave ? 

Doing well on loan and gaining some much needed experience and we pull him back and give him about 300 minutes in nearly a year 

This kid didn’t come through an academy really the same way most do so it’s even more important he gets proper game time.  In my opinion he’s the last home grown player we should have on the bench to fill a quota. 

He has missed out on 30 odd games now. Really poor from the club I reckon and that’s coming from me a happy clapper!  

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Doing well on loan and gaining some much needed experience and we pull him back and give him about 300 minutes in nearly a year 

This kid didn’t come through an academy really the same way most do so it’s even more important he gets proper game time.  In my opinion he’s the last home grown player we should have on the bench to fill a quota. 

He has missed out on 30 odd games now. Really poor from the club I reckon and that’s coming from me a happy clapper!  

But he's probably one bad injury away from a starting position so you have to weigh up the risk of being left with nothing and a player's development. He's just out of school, he has his whole career ahead of him. His career hasn't been ruined because he's not at Newport this year. I would wager he'd have learned more from Afobe this year than in 3 seasons at Newport. Best laid plans....

Easy to throw out comments like 'horribly mismanaged' but a lot more difficult to actually be in that position and have to weigh up the multiple factors involved.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But he's probably one bad injury away from a starting position so you have to weigh up the risk of being left with nothing and a player's development. He's just out of school, he has his whole career ahead of him. His career hasn't been ruined because he's not at Newport this year. I would wager he'd have learned more from Afobe this year than in 3 seasons at Newport. Best laid plans....

Easy to throw out comments like 'horribly mismanaged' but a lot more difficult to actually be in that position and have to weigh up the multiple factors involved.

I would imagine LJ would start Kalas up front before Semenyo!  Youngsters improve with minutes.  I can’t remember a youngster who has stopped from playing for ages and then, when given a chance, had improved a lot due to his training programme.

Mis-managed for me

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would imagine LJ would start Kalas up front before Semenyo!  Youngsters improve with minutes.  I can’t remember a youngster who has stopped from playing for ages and then, when given a chance, had improved a lot due to his training programme.

Mis-managed for me

How would you have managed Semenyo then?   :dunno:

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

By loaning him out obviously. 

Ummmm........ The  club has to have  a home grown player in the matchday squad  so how does LJ overcome that? but according to you that’s ‘ mis-management’.....

LJ has said that a couple of L1 clubs are interested in taking him.

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I wonder how much sl influenced the decision to recall him from newport? I reckon there were dollar signs flashing if he came back and got himself a few goals. With hindsight clearly being at newport was a huge benefit for him.

I seriously doubt that SL had any influence in the decision to recall AS - that would have been an agreed decision between LJ and his two assistants having taken Brian Tinnion’s thoughts on AS into consideration.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I seriously doubt that SL had any influence in the decision to recall AS - that would have been an agreed decision between LJ and his two assistants having taken Brian Tinnion’s thoughts on AS into consideration.

I dont know, but it was suggested that SL pulled rank and insisted he was called back. If that had worked and the chelsea bid actually happened then we would have made a multi million pound profit.

58 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Mis-managed for me

I think this is a bit harsh. Lee Johnson clearly believed, for a period at least, that Semenyo was a genuine first-team option given the games he was actually starting a couple of months ago.

Ultimately, Lee was wrong and he’s not stepped up - but that’s easy with hindsight and there’s no way we would be loaning him down to non-league level, which is the only option available to us out of window.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ummmm........ The  club has to have  a home grown player in the matchday squad  so how does LJ overcome that? but according to you that’s ‘ mis-management’.....

LJ has said that a couple of L1 clubs are interested in taking him.

Ummmm...We have plenty of home grown players. Semenyo is the last one who should be warming the bench. 

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Horribly mis-managed 

..I've seen quite a bit of him now & he's terribly raw & struggling without that "Formal" education in the game.

Not sure it's done him a lot of good sitting on a bench & running around in seemingly aimless circles for the U23's.

Looking like he's going backwards - not instinctive,,very poor without the ball,,flat footed & slow to react... & needs to stay on his feet...

I'm not seeing improvement to be Frank & I'm wondering where he goes on loan to get game time - he's Gona' struggle to get in the starting eleven at any pro level of the game imo.

Archived