IGNORED

When did this change?

phantom

• Admin

Okay a sad click bait style title

But noticed the past few games that we are still using a white football during league games

The ball used to be changed to a yellow one December / January time of the season, is this the first season we are sticking with a white ball?

I can't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere?

*assume there will be some off shade used for the FA Cup?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

But noticed the past few games that we are still using a white football during league games

The ball used to be changed to a yellow one December / January time of the season, is this the first season we are sticking with a white ball?

I hadn’t noticed that but you’re right. Maybe it’s been decided that it’s the referees decision on what colour ball should be used depending on the conditions............:dunno:

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/february/winter-ball-to-be-used-for-the-last-time/

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I hadn’t noticed that but you’re right. Maybe it’s been decided that it’s the referees decision on what colour ball should be used depending on the conditions............:dunno:

The only reason I noticed it on Saturday was I used to convince myself we'd improve when we reverted back to a white ball

7 hours ago, phantom said:

The only reason I noticed it on Saturday was I used to convince myself we'd improve when we reverted back to a white ball

I’ve been asking the same question, as I hated the “jaundiced” ball and, as you, always thought we improved when back to white! Bang goes that theory! 

Nothing beats the old orange ball,  fog, snow, hail, it beat them all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

16 hours ago, phantom said:

The orange ball used to used October-February I think, but isn’t being used as of this season. 

My old man used to have new boots for the start of a season and had to nail his own studs in. They would have enough lace to hang an elephant with. Then he'd stand in the brook for half an hour before they became supple enough to feel anything. Proper footballs, proper boots and proper players in those days.

2 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

My old man used to have new boots for the start of a season and had to nail his own studs in. They would have enough lace to hang an elephant with. Then he'd stand in the brook for half an hour before they became supple enough to feel anything. Proper footballs, proper boots and proper players in those days.

Same for me, and I mean me as well as my dad. Also had to look after the brown leather ball maintenance. Unlace the ball, pull out the bladder "dickie" and untie the lace that ensured the air didn't escape, pump up the bladder to the required size then retie and relocate the dickie, relace the ball with a lacing tool and finally coat the ball with dubbin to try and keep the leather waterproof. That was weekly through the season for Locomotive Sports in the Wednesday League.

18 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

we were a poor family we had to piss on ours (not actually a lie). but we did not live in a hole in the road.

Echo all of the above! Modern players don't understand the foundations the game has been built on. Perhaps there is a telly programme producer who will make a 'reality' show about Post War football; take some current pros and make them endure the same things as our forefathers did - a kind of Lads' Army recreation style.

On 17/12/2019 at 21:47, Offside said:

It's also amazing to think that orange balls used to be used when games were played when the pitch was covered in snow. 

There is a you tube clip somewhere of a game on a snowy pitch being played with a white ball. It is just like Irish dancing with legs going everywhere. Hilarious.

Archived