IGNORED

Our club shop is a disgrace (Merged)

sticks 1969

Popped into the shop tonight to pick up a suitcase with the crest on the front 

guess what , out of stock and not expecting any more for 3 months 

how can they run out of something that won’t be dated in a year like the shirts are ?

asked why to which they replayed they weren’t sure if they were keeping the crest so only ordered a few

beggers belief 

51 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

how can they run out of something that won’t be dated in a year like the shirts are ?

asked why to which they replayed they weren’t sure if they were keeping the crest so only ordered a few

beggers belief 

Thanks for letting me know when they’ll be back in stock. I really want one too! 

9 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I've gone online to order some stuff for Christmas. Half of the items are out of stock or only have small and XXL. Thought this was the reason we switched from Adidas! Don't get me wrong, I love our kits, but they need to sort out stocking volumes.

Yep, agree. 

At the start of November, I made a midweek trip to the shop to get my son a home GK kit. The shorts weren’t in stock (size 9-10), and I asked when they’d be back in - advice was that they couldn’t guarantee them being in this side of Christmas. That’s shocking stock management at what would be one of the two highest demand periods.

9 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

beggers belief 

You snooze you loose

Are the club actually aware of how bad the club shop is and commented on it?

For all the other positive changes to the stadium with increased revenues such as food and drink outlets it's a shame that the shop is such a let down.

Twice now in recent weeks I've had to buy unofficial merch and bits on ebay due to lack of stock and options in the club shop. 

I am still surprised they have a physical shop.

Surely it would be more efficient to just have an online shop and use the space the shop currently occupies for something more lucrative.

Get the idea that some items people want to try/inspect before buying, but I'd have thought they could manage that with limited space - just by having one of each size available to try and then direct people online.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I am still surprised they have a physical shop.

Surely it would be more efficient to just have an online shop and use the space the shop currently occupies for something more lucrative.

Get the idea that some items people want to try/inspect before buying, but I'd have thought they could manage that with limited space - just by having one of each size available to try and then direct people online.

People like to go shopping, even with all the online options, it’s still good to see what’s on offer first hand. Share the experience of buying your child’s first shirt or whatever... it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it shouldn’t be done away with

On the rare occasions I'm back in England will always pop in there in a bid to pick up some City related faff and always exit empty handed! Looks slick and professional but there seems very little substance to it. The club appears to be run very well nowadays, but I honestly think that the shop was far superior back in the days when it was Beryl & Co. in the portable cabin opposite the grandstand! 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

People like to go shopping, even with all the online options, it’s still good to see what’s on offer first hand. Share the experience of buying your child’s first shirt or whatever... it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it shouldn’t be done away with

*shudders at the thought*

(I do get the idea that people might like getting a first shirt, but I would guess most of these are early season purchases/free with a season ticket).

Staying on shop-watch, I assume that the pop-up shop out in Cribbs is fully stocked (I haven't been) otherwise there is little point in it being there. That might explain why there is so little in the BS3 retail space.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

*shudders at the thought*

(I do get the idea that people might like getting a first shirt, but I would guess most of these are early season purchases/free with a season ticket).

Staying on shop-watch, I assume that the pop-up shop out in Cribbs is fully stocked (I haven't been) otherwise there is little point in it being there. That might explain why there is so little in the BS3 retail space.

The fact that people are still trying to buy kit now would suggest that it is needed all year, especially at Christmas. For some, shopping is a social activity so having a physical destination is quite important.
I don’t know about the Cribbs shop, perhaps that is the reason for low stock. 

For me, the shop is too small and too dark, and doesn’t have a large enough range of items. Perhaps now they have settled with the badge, there maybe more interesting things on offer next season

9 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

beggers belief 

Such progress with the ground and facilities  but the shop is run like a market stall. And never seems to get any better. 

The shop is a joke.2 weeks before Christmas and not much stock on the shelf.well right sizes and quantity.

The quality and quantity is

so bad.the polo shirts look like fruit of loom you bye in a cheap market.so come city our team had improved let's do same to the sportswear in the joke shop.

Who is actually responsible for overseeing/managing the club shop?  Every other shop that I’m aware of has a manager whose responsibilities include maintaining and updating stock but it seems as if that that isn’t happening at City.

Surely someone must be responsible for the poor state of the club shop?

How do run out of gloves with the winter here?

Went in a couple weeks ago...sold out.

What's worse is the layout...designed by a kid with crayons imo.

I feel for the staff in there.

I mentioned the above...and the staff reply was 'totally agree'... makes working there a nightmare.

While we're all piling in, the thing I find most bizarre is since the temperatures have dropped the official site has churned out video after video and photo after photo of City staff and players wearing a black beanie with the new Robin crest on it. They even went to an assault course and filmed a day of activity that may as well have been a modelling photo shoot for said hat.

Do they sell the hat? Have a wild guess.

I don't get it at all, you could produce those hats in the UK in under two weeks if you sacrifice a bit of margin. Maybe City are too reliant on pallet orders from China with massive lead time. I'm selling winter hats almost daily for the past month and ordered new stock to replace depleted lines at the end of November which will be in this week. I can do that in my spare time.

I don't know who is doing this as a REAL job at City but it's hopeless. My guess is the club have been burned in prior years with larger commitments and unsold stock but they have gone to the other extreme where they want zero risk on stock, they even make people pre-order! If the club with its commercial turnover can't afford to bet on producing items at risk it's a bit feeble.

Just now, Olé said:

While we're all piling in, the thing I find most bizarre is since the temperatures have dropped the official site has churned out video after video and photo after photo of City staff and players wearing a black beanie with the new Robin crest on it. They even went to an assault course and filmed a day of activity that may as well have been a modelling photo shoot for said hat.

Do they sell the hat? Have a wild guess.

I don't get it at all, you could produce those hats in the UK in under two weeks if you sacrifice a bit of margin. Maybe City are too reliant on pallet orders from China with massive lead time. I'm selling winter hats almost daily for the past month and ordered new stock to replace depleted lines at the end of November which will be in this week. I can do that in my spare time.

I don't know who is doing this as a REAL job at City but it's hopeless. My guess is the club have been burned in prior years with larger commitments and unsold stock but they have gone to the other extreme where they want zero risk on stock, they even make people pre-order! If the club with its commercial turnover can't afford to bet on producing items at risk it's a bit feeble.

The lady I sit next to said there had been a problem with the quality of the Bears’ hats and they returned them all to the supplier, I guess it was the same with the city ones. I managed to get a hat about a month ago but I guess they have since sold out 

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Everything is scanned in now at the shop. So they should be able to look at figures over the last few seasons and see what stock levels/sold on average.

We always have loads of xxl/xxxl shirts left but not other sizes. Guessing no one looks at previous years to see what’s sold.

Exactly. The question I’m asking is who is responsible for shop? Is there a specific shop manager? 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Exactly. The question I’m asking is who is responsible for shop? Is there a specific shop manager? 

Obviously there was Beryl but since then there have been other "shop managers" who seemed to have buying power as they once speculatively bought a line of t-shirts off me and off a mate of mine too.

I'm not convinced there is anyone in that role now, because there seems to be no creativity or entrepreneurialism in the shop. It sounds like Jon Lansdown runs a lot of it, so perhaps he plans once a year.

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The lady I sit next to said there had been a problem with the quality of the Bears’ hats and they returned them all to the supplier, I guess it was the same with the city ones. I managed to get a hat about a month ago but I guess they have since sold out 

Well the quality of a lot of City embroidery is poor, but in their defence it's true it's very possible to have quality issues (designs don't automatically transfer to embroidery perfectly), but when you have the logo in May you've got more than enough time to do proofs, find competent suppliers and get it right by winter. I was looking out for the hats on the website and don't think I ever saw them.

I'm not sure how their retail ops works at Bristol Sport, but I don't think they have a merchandiser (not to be confused with a visual merchandiser). I work as a merchandiser and although plenty of our stock comes in containers from China with 16 week lead times, when needed, we've been able to get emergency stock from the UK or Turkey which takes much less time. Even if margin rate goes down, you'll make more profit overall.

Lots of companies with retail departments only used to have buyers and there has been a lot more businesses restructuring in order to get rid of supply chain and replace them with merchandisers. This might at first cost them more money, but will generally result in better stock management and higher profits.

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think the shop in the current location was always short term, when they build the arena complex next door I’m sure they will incorporate a much bigger shop and then change the current one to something else, 

Imagine how empty that place would look :fear:

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Well the quality of a lot of City embroidery is poor, but in their defence it's true it's very possible to have quality issues (designs don't automatically transfer to embroidery perfectly), but when you have the logo in May you've got more than enough time to do proofs, find competent suppliers and get it right by winter. I was looking out for the hats on the website and don't think I ever saw them.

It was only a week or so, and difficult to find on the website (broken links or odd location within the search)

Archived