IGNORED

A Match for Emilia

phantom

• Admin

I've not seen this event mentioned anywhere else, but there are times when the "footballing family" come together and show unity in dark times.

To me this is one of those times where footballing rivalry goes out the window, and anyone where possible should help such a sad cause

Of course the big thing is also doing it for the memory of young Emilia Harvie - may she Rest In Peace

Large

Bristol Rovers are planning a 'Match for Emilia' that will take place at our fixture against Peterborough United.

Emilia Harvie, daughter of our Head of Academy Coaching, Adrian Harvie, tragically lost her battle with a rare condition called, Alexander Disease, earlier this year at the age of just eight.

Emilia was diagnosed with the condition in 2014 after suffering a seizure. The disease is a debilitating illness which affects the neurological pathways in the body.

There are only a reported 500 people worldwide who have this rare disease, so research and evidence of the condition is very limited.

Emilia tragically lost her brave battle on September 14th, 2019.

Throughout Emilia's illness and since her passing, the family have taken the unselfish approach of doing everything possible to help others going through similar situations, undertaking in events such as charity bike rides to raise awareness and funds for Metabolic Support.

To celebrate the life of Emilia and to show support to the Harvie family, the Club has arranged a unique donation opportunity at our home fixture against Peterborough United.

Emilia had a fond affinity with cuddly toys and we are encouraging supporters to join in a donation of items such as teddy bears or soft toys at our upcoming fixture at the Mem on the 21st December, inviting supporters to throw the items onto the pitch at 2:45pm.

All items donated on the day will be delivered to Bristol Children’s Hospital in the days before Christmas and we encourage supporters to bring new teddies and protect your donation in a small, ideally clear, bag.

If you are not able to attend the game on the 21st, December, you can also donate a teddy via post by sending your donation to - The Memorial Stadium, Filton Avenue, BS7 0BF. Please make sure to write 'A Match For Emilia' on the parcel. Donations must be at the Memorial Stadium by the 23rd, December, so they can be taken down to Bristol Children's Hospital.

On the day, the players will warm up in special t-shirts and purple armbands throughout the match and there will be a minutes applause prior to kick-off.

We have seen our fanbase show widespread support to causes in recent weeks, such as the foodbank collection, and we hope that they will join us on the 21st in celebrating the life of Emilia.

We are also encouraging supporters to donate to Metabolic Support, a charity that supported the Harvie family through Emilia's illness. To donate to the charity please click HERE.

Taken from: https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2019/december/a-match-for-emilia/

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Another terribly sad story to go with Amora Afobe's passing.

I know "it puts everything into perspective" is a cliche, but it's true.

Treasure your families, folks.

RIP Emilia and condolences to family and friends.

Couldn’t put it better. 

Poor little girl, my heart goes out to her family. Rest in peace Emilia.

Rovers are asking fans to throw cuddly toys on the pitch on Saturday, and they will be donated to the children at the BRI I believe.   I realise this could generate a lot of humour.... But that asides...    Couldn't City arrange to do that at that the gate around a Xmas, new year Match, all for a great cause and puts both clubs in a good light.  

1 hour ago, S_Y_G said:

Rovers are asking fans to throw cuddly toys on the pitch on Saturday, and they will be donated to the children at the BRI I believe.   I realise this could generate a lot of humour.... But that asides...    Couldn't City arrange to do that at that the gate around a Xmas, new year Match, all for a great cause and puts both clubs in a good light.  

Another heartbreaking story ... fly high Emilia, rest easy little angel x

The cuddly toy seems a common thing in the Netherlands - it’s a small but significant gesture....

1 hour ago, S_Y_G said:

Great idea.

I remember a couple of seasons back we had a minutes applause during a match (Norwich at home iirc) for a young Rovers fan who passed away. His picture was put on the big screens so I think the club would be happy to help if asked.

Hilarious as they flew out of the stands....  so we can generate this many cuddly toys for the childrens hospital from a 8000 attendance.  What can you do at the Gate?  Get someone to organise it and give to the other hospitals with childrens wards.  It not difficult guys, 10 people around the pitch collecting them as they miss the giant open bin liner they are carrying around.  Lets see what youcan do...https://twitter.com/thgorringe/status/1208468796954087424?s=20

I was there today on duty.

they were intending to throw them onto pitch but had a slight change of plan due to the weather and mud! 

instead they walked around with a large piece of tarpaulin that fans were encouraged to throw cuddly toys into, the reaction was amazing, hundreds of toys donated including a large sackful from us . 

an incredible response and a brilliant tribute to a very sweet little girl, very touching, Peterborough fans brought some as well , very pleasing duty today . 

9 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I was there today on duty.

they were intending to throw them onto pitch but had a slight change of plan due to the weather and mud! 

instead they walked around with a large piece of tarpaulin that fans were encouraged to throw cuddly toys into, the reaction was amazing, hundreds of toys donated including a large sackful from us . 

an incredible response and a brilliant tribute to a very sweet little girl, very touching, Peterborough fans brought some as well , very pleasing duty today . 

Lovely to hear that.

The chances of me acquiring a cuddly toy and the throwing it are fairly remote, any idea if there is a link for a cash donation?

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Lovely to hear that.

The chances of me acquiring a cuddly toy and the throwing it are fairly remote, any idea if there is a link for a cash donation?

Good question, I am sure there was a link, let me check and get back to you . ( unless others find it before me ?

• Admin
12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Lovely to hear that.

12 hours ago, JulieH said:

Good question, I am sure there was a link, let me check and get back to you . ( unless others find it before me ?

In the first post above 

Archived