IGNORED

Sky Broadband Help Required

phantom

• Admin

I would be grateful for any help with the problem below as its been driving me nuts.

I had a basic sky broadband package (2.4ghz) speed and I had voice activated sockets via my Amazon Alexa.

Problems started when I upgraded my Sky broadband  to fibre and now is on 5ghz

My voice activated plugs only operate on 2.4ghz

I have found the instructions below but have no idea how to set up a secondary network and also whether it will affect my faster signal 

Can anyone help please? 

Screenshot_20191217-173212_Amazon Alexa.jpg

The 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are Wi-Fi bands, not the Broadband speeds.

I presume you were provided with a new router that only has the 5Ghz band switched on by default, whilst your kit works on 2.4Ghz.

You would need to log into the router (browse to 192.168.1.1 most probably) and enable the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi band in the setup there somewhere.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the Sky routers so can't be any more specific I'm afraid.

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not yet, tried using the one Sky help gave me but no joy

Other than a reboot, I’m out of suggestions!

You should have had a Sky card with the WIFI password on it. Mine worked fine and I’ve stored it away so any visitors who want to access my WiFi I know where to find it!

It looks like you’ll have to contact Sky if yours isn’t working.

@richwwtk is correct.

You'll need to login to your router and enable the dual band so you can connect to either.

I have a Virgin router and it's literally just a tick box under the wifi settings once you're logged in. Once enabled, you'll see 2 signals you can connect to. Mine are automatically given names ending 2G and 5G but you may need to do that manually.

First reply here was quite useful:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/how-can-i-change-wifi-channels-from-5GHz-to-2-4GHz/td-p/3023285

Using a browser type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit return. When the Sky Hubs interface loads then click on the Wireless tab, type admin as the user and sky as the password. Untick the synchronise the two wifi bands box and edit one of the two SSIDs so you can tell them apart. Click apply which will cause the hub to restart. Then connect the camera to the 2.4GHz SSID. In fact use that band for any other slow bits of kit you have like printers, home automation kit etc. Keep the faster 5GHz band for phones and devices that stream video etc.

Archived