IGNORED

Happy Korey Smith Day

CyderInACan

Hands down the best moment supporting City in my lifetime. Need to top it with a promotion to the top flight next!!

Remember the day well, last day of term (work as a Site Manager in a school - Essex), kids finished at 130, I was out of the door at 2, and made it to the Gate with about 45 minutes to spare. Left the wife in school (teacher at the same place), and she locked up, got a train down to Bristol and met me at my parents after the game. Still get a huge smile when I see Smith tuck that shot away. Even more so when I think it was set up by the snake ?

To think Man City had to really work for the win in the next round as well.

For me we have a better squad now, but that cup run was unbelievable. 

HAPPY KOREY SMITH DAY 

I remember the goal going in and not moving at all . Everyone around me going delirious and I still Couldn’t celebrate as I never ever saw that ending and was in complete shock/ denial  .
I was probably waiting for a linesman call at that point . 

Some guy behind me grabbed my arms and then waved them in the air as he was urging me to do something !

That also began the love affair of the club for my two kids who have since become season ticket holders and rarely miss a game at home and now travel away for as many as we can . 

I can and will watch those highlights over and over .. funnily enough I don’t watch the video of when I got married with the same enthusiasm ... 

This demonstrates the paucity of achievements and great moments when a winning goal against Man U in a cup game is so high on the"Best Memories" list.

I understand that if you have only been watching City for a relatively short time.

In 70 years of support, we have only won two league titles. Both for Third Division which is good but hardly the top of the football world.

How about an FA Cup Final, although nobody alive can remember it. Or perhaps the win at Elland Road in 1973?

So, the best moments have to be First Division wins at Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U and at home against Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and plenty of others. A four year spell with the big clubs that has never been repeated. Will we ever see that level again?

Just watching the highlights that I still have recorded and although I appreciate the magnitude of this game, but what a difference it makes to the atmosphere having the away fans pitch side instead of stuck at the back like this season.  

The logic of not giving many away tickets, as it’s an advantage to the away team, is completely counter productive, as without the larger away contingent the atmosphere is completely flat like this season so doesn’t help us either.

Watching the highlights shows that AG can have an amazing atmosphere even after the redevelopment, but decision made by the club don’t help.

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just watching the highlights that I still have recorded and although I appreciate the magnitude of this game, but what a difference it makes to the atmosphere having the away fans pitch side instead of stuck at the back like this season.  

The logic of not giving many away tickets, as it’s an advantage to the away team, is completely counter productive, as without the larger away contingent the atmosphere is completely flat like this season so doesn’t help us either.

Watching the highlights shows that AG can have an amazing atmosphere even after the redevelopment, but decision made by the club don’t help.

Not sure the atmosphere that might was due to away fans being closer to the pitch? ?‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Not sure the atmosphere that might was due to away fans being closer to the pitch? ?‍♂️ 

As I said, this game was different, but my point still stands, the home atmosphere is poor, and I think limiting the number of away fans and putting them at the back of the stand has had a direct impact on the poor atmosphere, appreciating that it Man Utd came to town again the atmosphere would be good

45 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It's more to do with the risk of trouble. Which lets be honest is complete rubbish. I watched a big derby recently ( cant for the life of me remember which one) and they had a row of stewards separating fans. Barely anything separating Brighton and Palace fans. 

Its pathetic, and one of the reasons the atmosphere is so shit. The club wont mind though. I'm sure they'd like a nice family environment 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The atmosphere is flat because City are totally unexciting at home except perhaps for last ten minutes when we are laying catch up!

5 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Definitely don't remember it being 4 days before Christmas!

Me neither! 

Fantastic times, but look how many have left the team in the two years since.  Even Korey has hardly played, or it seems that way.

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

It's more to do with the risk of trouble. Which lets be honest is complete rubbish. I watched a big derby recently ( cant for the life of me remember which one) and they had a row of stewards separating fans. Barely anything separating Brighton and Palace fans. 

Its pathetic, and one of the reasons the atmosphere is so shit. The club wont mind though. I'm sure they'd like a nice family environment 

Have you forgotten the Swansea game so soon? :whistle:

That said, I agree with the underlying point- other clubs manage it so why can't we!

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

This demonstrates the paucity of achievements and great moments when a winning goal against Man U in a cup game is so high on the"Best Memories" list.

I understand that if you have only been watching City for a relatively short time.

In 70 years of support, we have only won two league titles. Both for Third Division which is good but hardly the top of the football world.

How about an FA Cup Final, although nobody alive can remember it. Or perhaps the win at Elland Road in 1973?

So, the best moments have to be First Division wins at Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U and at home against Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and plenty of others. A four year spell with the big clubs that has never been repeated. Will we ever see that level again?

Blimey..

I think largely you are missing the point, had we won 2-1 comfortably within 90 minutes this game would not so much hold the mystique that it did. To match the level of fun in your post, I’ll now post the reasons why this was so good and a memory to cherish forever for young and old

1. It was against Man Utd, not at the time in terms of performance, but quite literally the biggest football club in the world

2. they were managed at the time by one of the most divisive, outspoken and famous managers in the world, one of the most highly decorated in recent times.

3. Top players in the world playing for them

4. packed Ashton gate

5. a game where if you go behind, you likely lose. I was indescribably tense every moment, a tension that somehow even heightened To new levels anytime they were close to the goal

6. this was a 93rd minute winner in a knock out cup competition 

7. the fans did everything they possibly could to get their team over the line, this was 11 men vs 11+26,000 Bristolians 

I may have only been watching city 30 years but I refuse to let you poo poo what I am not ashamed to admit was one of these most wonderful moments of my life when that goal went in.

over your 70 years watching I am sure there are moments that match this for you, but you have to have a heart of stone to not give it the credit it deserves, it doesn’t matter if we ever achieve anything ever again, this game wasn’t about the achievement of reaching the semi final or even beating man united, it gave us THAT moment, and that’s why I go to football.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The atmosphere is flat because City are totally unexciting at home except perhaps for last ten minutes when we are laying catch up!

Agreed partly but the lack of away fans and sticking them at the back of the stand doesn’t help Generate a great atmosphere, yeh if we play well the home fans will sing but there won’t be the same intensity with the atmosphere 

45 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Blimey..

I think largely you are missing the point, had we won 2-1 comfortably within 90 minutes this game would not so much hold the mystique that it did. To match the level of fun in your post, I’ll now post the reasons why this was so good and a memory to cherish forever for young and old

1. It was against Man Utd, not at the time in terms of performance, but quite literally the biggest football club in the world

2. they were managed at the time by one of the most divisive, outspoken and famous managers in the world, one of the most highly decorated in recent times.

4. packed Ashton gate

5. a game where if you go behind, you likely lose. I was indescribably tense every moment, a tension that somehow even heightened To new levels anytime they were close to the goal

7. the fans did everything they possibly could to get their team over the line, this was 11 men vs 11+26,000 Bristolians 

I may have only been watching city 30 years but I refuse to let you poo poo what I am not ashamed to admit was one of these most wonderful moments of my life when that goal went in.

over your 70 years watching I am sure there are moments that match this for you, but you have to have a heart of stone to not give it the credit it deserves, it doesn’t matter if we ever achieve anything ever again, this game wasn’t about the achievement of reaching the semi final or even beating man united, it gave us THAT moment, and that’s why I go to football.

8. the first goal by Joe Bryan was an absolute thunder strike - and probably a better technical goal, although not laced with the euphoria of a 93rd minute winner.

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Blimey..

4. packed Ashton gate

I’ve seen us in all four divisions albeit as a very young lad in the first division days . The Man Utd game was right up there , if not the best , for all the reasons you give. The manc , hundred million £ + midfielders in korey and marlons  pockets. The fluidity of some of our football , and to top it off a 93rd minute winner we deserved against the biggest club in the world , scored by the unlikeliest of goal scorers . I lost the plot , completely lost it. I didn’t get home until 4 in the morning then watched it again supping thatchers. What a night . 

56 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

8. the first goal by Joe Bryan was an absolute thunder strike - and probably a better technical goal, although not laced with the euphoria of a 93rd minute winner.

I think the term for joes goal was a thunderbastard 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutle silence when it left his boot for what seemed like an age until it wa punctuated by that glorious sound of the post and then the most unbelievable roar

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

5 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Absolutle silence when it left his boot for what seemed like an age until it wa punctuated by that glorious sound of the post and then the most unbelievable roar

The purest of pure strikes....had a great angle of it in LS A4.  I stood there mouth open, motionless, and just looked at Joe (my Joe, not Bryan).  I jumped around like a loon for Smith’s, but there is something about Joe’s goal, he started it too.

Archived