IGNORED

The Rise of Skywalker

phantom

• Admin

Has anyone seen the new film yet?

I went to see the film last night, I won't go into too much detail as am sure there are people that have not seen it yet and don't want any of the plot etc ruined by me

It was amusing how many times a character was dead then they weren't dead, then someone was dead, and this seemed to loop during the film

The Carrie Fisher scenes were a bit clunky but guess they were just using footage that was cut from the last film, but was a nice touch that her real life daughter (Billie Lourd) was in and around the same scenes

I do wonder whether the final scene was added on as an after thought, the film seemed to end then all of a sudden we were back to an old location - for what was an ending that was spotted a mile off

Saw it yesterday. 

1. The first 45 minutes felt like a rushed version of what Last Jedi should have been. It felt as though they had to very quickly set up why, how, and when all the heroes would head off to the gurt big last battle (I don't think it's a spoiler to say there's a gurt big last battle). I think they easily could have taken that first part and that could have been Last Jedi, Rise could then have been a solid two hours of helter-skelter, edge of your seat emotional mayhem - instead we get 45 minutes of "We're going to X to find the doohickey Oh! what a coincidence the first hole we fall in/person we meet/place we park happens to have the exact thing/person we need".
  2. From about 45 minutes in though, from  a scene that was very very wet, from then on it was honestly ******* mindblowing. I absolutely loved it. Emotions rode high, there were some nods to the previous films, the final scenes felt momentous and there was real gravitas. 
  3. It also felt like the best acted of the final trilogy. The script was a little clunky in places, particularly in that first half, but it felt like the main characters had really managed to cement themselves. Driver and Ridley are especially good. 

I all I thought it was a pretty solid conclusion to a sprawling, no doubt unwieldy saga that now stretches over 9 films made and released over more than 40 years of cinema. There is no other franchise like it. Bond may span the same timeframe but they have been able to evolve their films as cinema evolves. MCU may match Star Wars for budget and takings but they've been made, from the start, in the modern era. Star Wars has lurched from essentially creating the modern sci-fi blockbuster in 1977, to falling head over heels in love with the rough CGI of the 1990s, to now grappling with the epic direction, bluescreen, mo-cap, lense flare and other tools available to a film maker in 2019.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Bunked off work early to see it yesterday. Enjoyed it. Not the greatest of the 9, but certainly not the worst.

My personal ranking I think would be:

9. Attack of the Clones

8. Last Jedi

7. Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith

5. Force Awakens

4. A New Hope

3. Rise of Skywalker

2. Return of the Jedi

1. Empire Strikes Back

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Saw it yesterday. 

1. The first 45 minutes felt like a rushed version of what Last Jedi should have been. It felt as though they had to very quickly set up why, how, and when all the heroes would head off to the gurt big last battle (I don't think it's a spoiler to say there's a gurt big last battle). I think they easily could have taken that first part and that could have been Last Jedi, Rise could then have been a solid two hours of helter-skelter, edge of your seat emotional mayhem - instead we get 45 minutes of "We're going to X to find the doohickey Oh! what a coincidence the first hole we fall in/person we meet/place we park happens to have the exact thing/person we need".
  2. From about 45 minutes in though, from  a scene that was very very wet, from then on it was honestly ******* mindblowing. I absolutely loved it. Emotions rode high, there were some nods to the previous films, the final scenes felt momentous and there was real gravitas. 
  3. It also felt like the best acted of the final trilogy. The script was a little clunky in places, particularly in that first half, but it felt like the main characters had really managed to cement themselves. Driver and Ridley are especially good. 

I all I thought it was a pretty solid conclusion to a sprawling, no doubt unwieldy saga that now stretches over 9 films made and released over more than 40 years of cinema. There is no other franchise like it. Bond may span the same timeframe but they have been able to evolve their films as cinema evolves. MCU may match Star Wars for budget and takings but they've been made, from the start, in the modern era. Star Wars has lurched from essentially creating the modern sci-fi blockbuster in 1977, to falling head over heels in love with the rough CGI of the 1990s, to now grappling with the epic direction, bluescreen, mo-cap, lense flare and other tools available to a film maker in 2019.

Every chance we were sat in the same screen...

59 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

9. Attack of the Clones

8. Last Jedi

7. Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith

5. Force Awakens

4. A New Hope

3. Rise of Skywalker

2. Return of the Jedi

1. Empire Strikes Back

As good as Return Of The Jedi is, the ewok celebration bit means, to me, it could never be #2 in the list.

Empire Strikes Back defo #1. I would put Phantom Menace at #9, A New Hope at #2, then not sure.

Even at close to 52 I still got excited at the screen crawl and the opening music (not least for the fact my wife chose the Star Wars theme as her bridal entrance music). I still recall queuing outside the cinema in 1977 waiting to see the original (pretty sure it was the Odeon on Union Street).

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

At the EisnerAmpner event?

Nah, I had to pay :)

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

As good as Return Of The Jedi is, the ewok celebration bit means, to me, it could never be #2 in the list.

Empire Strikes Back defo #1. I would put Phantom Menace at #9, A New Hope at #2, then not sure.

Even at close to 52 I still got excited at the screen crawl and the opening music (not least for the fact my wife chose the Star Wars theme as her bridal entrance music). I still recall queuing outside the cinema in 1977 waiting to see the original (pretty sure it was the Odeon on Union Street).

I think they definitely break out into Empire as number one, then the next 4 broadly equal, and I think most fans would have the prequels plus Last Jedi as the worst 4.

My ranking is undoubtedly influenced by how I experienced them. I'm 20 years your junior. Phantom Menace came out when I was 11 - dad took me to see it on day one and for about two days I was the coolest kid in the class as I was the only one who'd seen it. That sticks with me and means it goes fairly high on my own list. I watched the original three on VHS in my childhood. So I missed that shock of the new that you got in the 70's, and I saw the Ewoks through a child's eyes - their little party at the end was pretty much what I wanted. I didn't really appreciate/notice all the dark/light side stuff in the Emperor's throne room. Dad had a box set of all three - the gold box that was the "Special enhanced, re-mastered" version of the original releases. But like you, my dad tells me about queuing to go and see A New Hope in '77. 7, 8 and 9 I've watched as an adult, all as they came out (except Last Jedi where I waited a few days before getting to it). I genuinely loved the ending last night.

9 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Well we know we were in the same Cinema? I reckon I'll be paying to see it again.

Didn't think it linked very well with The Last Jedi but not surprised by that considering the chopping and changing of writers and director.

Overall, i liked it. Audiovisuals were superb, the production is just A+ as you would expect. It's the best of the last 3 for me.

21 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Bunked off work early to see it yesterday. Enjoyed it. Not the greatest of the 9, but certainly not the worst.

Well if Debbie does Dallas was showing in the same cinema I know which one would of been my choice.

Saw it yesterday and thought it was decent.

On it’s own it’s very good but it does make me question the point of the last film. Even taking into account the different director it feels like there wasn’t really a plan. Some bits were a bit frustrating (won’t mention so as not to spoil it) but overall pretty darn good.

On 20/12/2019 at 15:15, ExiledAjax said:

9. Attack of the Clones

8. Last Jedi

7. Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith

5. Force Awakens

4. A New Hope

3. Rise of Skywalker

2. Return of the Jedi

1. Empire Strikes Back

1 - empire strikes back

2 - return of the jedi

3 - a new hope

4 - revenge of the Sith

5,6,7 & 8 - pick and choose amongst the rest. Phantom menace was saved by darth Maul's awesomeness. Otherwise it would be 8 on its own. 

9 - attack of the clones. Just the most awful film ever made. I don't imagine rise of skywalker will be as bad. Only good thing was John Williams music, which goes without saying. 

Have not seen rise of skywalker yet. Will be seeing it next week. 

Just watched it and meh it was alright ?‍♂️ as said above production was excellent (apart from Palps annoyingly) but thought the pacing was very poor and was just sat there waiting for the next thing to happen. A lot of the plot was convenient and they chickened out of what could have been a much better plot, for me Rey turning and being defeated by Ben would have been a better way to go, perhaps it would have been if JJ had done the trilogy but not enough time to do it justice. Soooo people just nicking other peoples surnames now?  

Undoubtedly we will get more Star Wars, Disney spent 4 billion on the property they're not stopping for a while yet so I think there's a few areas that would be good to go, for anyone whose played the Knights of the Old Republic game something set in that era if not the storyline itself. The origin of the Sith could be a cool area to explore as well but can we please get as far away from the current timeframe as possible so Skywalkers, the resistance and the empire aren't mentioned.

It’s not the utter disaster of a movie that some people are making it out to be, but it’s easily the worst of the sequel movies.

It was better than any of the prequels.

My ranking would be:

Empire Strikes Back>A New Hope>Return of the Jedi>Rogue One>Force Awakens>Last Jedi>Solo>Rise of Skywalker>Phantom Menace>Revenge of the Sith>A Slow and Painful Death>The End of the Universe>Attack of the Clones.

Archived