IGNORED

Games without City.

1960maaan

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

So Christmas this year we are up in Essex, and the Brother in Law mentioned about going to the "big local Derby", Chelmsford Vs Braintree. Started me thinking about the games I've seen , that didn't involve City. Now I'm no ground hopper, so there aren't that many, I've done a fair few grounds, 90% with the City, but for various reasons I happened to watch others on a few occasions. I'll start with the only League ground I've been too without City at all.

Arsenal Vs Newcastle, Highbury. First game I saw there was when Andy Cole went back for his return with Newcastle, Arsenal winning 2:1 it appears, always thought it wasn't as close as that.. Seems a few went up that day,  there were 5 of us and I was massively impressed with the North bank. As a couple of mates were Arsenal fans, we started going up when City were away. Saw Man U, Man C, Sunderland and Blackburn and of all those games the highlight was Geno Washington playing under the North bank pre match against ManU. 

Watford Vs Wolves , FA Cup 1993  1:4. We were supposed to be watching City at Luton , the game was called off as we were leaving the pub. As was the rearranged game shortly after. Anyway, nothing else to do we ended up in the away end at Watford watching Wolves rip them apart.

Exeter Vs Birmingham League Cup R1 0:0 . I was working in Sidford with a mate, nothing to do and Exeter were home. Not worth the effort.

Cheltenham Vs Kidderminster . Not sure about the score in this big local Derby, I do remember Kidderminster won. At a loose end and a mates , work mate was a season ticket holder at Cheltenham. 

Leicester Vs Chelsea Div2 2:0 . Went with some Chelsea lads.  Chelsea, I seem to remember were on a twenty odd game unbeaten run ( checked Wiki 27) and I think they could have  clinched promotion that day . Interesting day all round, tickets from touts (whatever happened to them?) trouble in the top tier behind the goal, then hearing about Hillsborough when we got back. 

West Ham Vs Man C Prem 3:0 . A mate was a manager for Avco Trust and offered me free beer all day in his box in the Bobby Moore stand. Great experience, though Cottee completing his hat trick cost me £40 on my bet.

Cardiff Vs Chelsea League Cup 2:1 . The first wife's (she who must not be spoken of :devil: ) family friend Nicky Platnauer ( ?? ) got us tickets and access to the players bar, bit of a shit hole I seem to remember Not as interesting a day as I'd expected.

So my next NEW ground could be another game without City, if we can sneak off on Boxing Day , not always easy with the family there. I'd be interested to hear of the 'other' games you lot have seen when not watching City, specially the accidental ones.

Over to you lot.

The slider sessions 

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Love this song, especially the guitar playing.

Not sure what this has too do about football chat but what about  “ i love to boogy” from dandy in the wonder world 77 has to be one of the best. I blast this out on my Sonos after copious amounts of Victoris Bitter and single malt whisky. 

In the 70s it was quite common for my dad and I to go local games when City were away, my mother was quite ill for a long period so going away was limited.

Now and again we would do something other than going to see the reserves, Eastville occasionally, Chelsea and Southampton games I remember most, and Bath City quite often.

One I do remember was going to the County ground to see them play Ipswich. My friend was an Ipswich supporter and he arranged everything, then got ill at the last minute and as I had promised my wife a shopping trip I went anyway. Swindon were 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go and lost 2-3, I don’t think I have ever laughed so much at a game.

Living in Swindon I’ve been to see the Town play a couple of times - literally only about 4 times since I’ve lived here (22 years). We get tickets for £10 with my work so it doesn’t break the bank - plus I go drinking with mates before the game  

I quite enjoyed watching them actually - I wasn’t biting my nails, holding my breath with my heart in my mouth as happens when I’m watching City - and the result genuinely doesn’t matter, so I don’t suffer that awful deflated feeling when they lose!!!

Taunton v Diss Town: my first game at Wembley. 

Nottingham forest v Liverpool: first Prem game. 

West brom V Sheffield Weds (the G. Johnson promotion year from league 1 I was struck by the pace of that game, thought we'd never cope up there) 

Shrewsbury v that lot (in the Shrewsbury end at Wembley) 

Real Madrid v malaga 

Real Madrid v copenhegan 

Atlético Madrid v Valencia 

Atlético v Barcelona (epic) 

Atlético v Bayern Munich (epic everything) 

Atlético v real (Ronaldo hat trick) 

Atlético v qarabag

Malaga v Granada 

Recritivo v cadiz (the worst game I have ever seen in my life, yet the home ultras were amazing) 

Mallorca v Girona 

There may be others, but they don't stick in the memory. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Ha ! Just remembered one , can't believe I forgot this.

A mate, no longer with us, drove up to Reading 89/90 , to see their game with Notts Co. If Reading got a point, we were promoted. Notts County go one up and Reading were shite. Getting late in the game, and NOOOO sign of Reading ever scoring, we decide to go. You know what's coming... Get to the car and we have hardly got away from the ground and it's 1-1, so we missed the goal that promoted us after all that.

Slightly off-topic, but I remember having Teletext on watching out for that result (was it a Thursday evening??) 

I’d minimised it while I watched TV so only the page number was showing. When the text colour changed, meaning something had happened, I thought it would be for full-time, but checked anyway. YES!!!

OK, we have established I'm old, so we can accept my memories failing a little..... just remembered another :facepalm:

Went up to WBA to see Micky Mellon make his debut in a 4-0 win over Fulham. Had to do some checking for this one. Funny enough, a week or so later we were in the Williams stand, I think it was a Reserve game, anyway, MM was there and we had a chat. Nice bloke and said we should have got in touch for tickets. Apparently Super Bob and Mellon scored that day. Fills in a few gaps I had. 

Pretty sure that's it now. :whistle:

1972 met the lads in the Venture at lunchtime to catch a coach to the ABA finals at Wembley to cheer on local Knowle Wester Malcolm Jones. About six lads had tickets for the FA cup final next day Leeds v Arsenal. By some chance there was a spare ticket so I grabbed it. Disappointingly Malcom lost and after a few bevvies we squatted down in a Shepherds Bush doss house with my cup final ticket safely tucked in my underpants. The next disappointment was bloody Leeds winning.

Watched many games when working in London and a local derby Hibs v Livingstone just after they had morphed from Meadowbsnk Thistle.

Currently in Perth (the Australian one, not the Scottish one) and decided to go along to Perth Glory v Newcastle Jets today. 

The scorer of Perth’s second goal in a 6-2 win was none other than our old acquaintance Neil Kilkenny. He played quite well today and seems to have lost the highly irksome habit (seen many times at Ashton Gate) of pointing and berating his teammates for the whole game. 

When I was a nipper my next door neighbour, Colin Crisp , was the manager at Winscombe in the Somerset Senior League. He would often take me with him to the matches . 

Ones which stand out ;

Paulton Rovers in the snow and the very first time I saw a colour television. The Pink Panther was really pink .

Taunton Town , their ground was like Wembley compared to most we played at .

I have also been invited to quite a few Montpellier , Ligue 1 , matches . The atmosphere was electric v Marseille whom we beat 3-0 .

Apart from that I have very little time to watch football other than City.

I have nothing like the same attachment to games without the mighty Robins.

2003, Taunton Town-Merthyr Tydfil . Seem to recall swapping ends at half time!

Went to see Barcelona-Parma in a pre season friendly in 2004 as I saw it was on in Cardiff- quite enjoyable.

Saw Roma-Inter in 2017- that was excellent. Not least as you could not only drink but actually buy beer in the stand- think of it like ushererette at cinema selling popcorn. Just enjoyable, more freedom to act passionately unlike at modern English stadia.

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Watford Vs Wolves , FA Cup 1993  1:4. We were supposed to be watching City at Luton , the game was called off as we were leaving the pub. As was the rearranged game shortly after. Anyway, nothing else to do we ended up in the away end at Watford watching Wolves rip them apart.

Over to you lot.

We had just got onto the M4 when the radio said the game was off. Instead of driving to Watford, we thought we would go and support Aston Villa who were playing Rovers. 

What a boring 1-0 home win that was. It might have been more than one goal but can't remember. On the way out of the ground I just happened to say to my mates, "I wonder if any other City fans came up to support the Villa?" With that a few ahead of us turned round and said, "We did!"

Anyone help me out? Maybe late 60s, there was a cup 2nd replay at Ashton, as a neutral ground. I went, but can't remember much about it. I think it was a Devon side (possibly Exeter ??) against someone from the Midlands (Nuneaton??). I used to go to watch games for something to do in those days. The worst was Rovers Reserves v Bournemouth. Passed an hour or so, sitting on the Eastville terracing.

Been to a fair few. Some that spring to mind:

1989 Man United v Wimbledon, end of season nothing to play for, lowest league gate post-war at OT (23,000 ish)

1989 Man City v Crystal Palace, division 2 promotion battle. Only actually saw 15 minutes of it, arrived drunk, passed out in the gents in the away end, woke up at FT.

Late 80s Leeds v Bradford, 3-3 draw from what I recall. Last time I saw NF stuff sold outside a ground.

Mid 1990s Rangers v Hibs. Sat in the away end. Abuse from Rangers fans for being in that end , abuse from the Hibs lot for being English.

Mid 1990s Harrogate v Chorley. Struggling to finding something to do midweek when  working in Harrogate

Early 1990s Cheadle Town v Christ knows, a friend got a few games for Cheadle.

2012 San Lorenzo v Boca Juniors, one of most intimidating atmospheres I recall being at.

1998 Juventus v Inter Serie A title decider and some of the most biased reffing I have ever seen.

1998 Spartak Moscow v Inter, UEFA cup, Ronaldo at his Il Fenomeno (sp?) peak.

Plus loads of international matches not involving England. Germany Brazil 2014 semi final being a stand out.

One that doesn't count really. 
gAss Vs Swindon , Ashton Gate !
Strange one when they played at our gaff. We drank in the Ship, only City in there and didn't see anyone else around really. Then about 40/50 lads went in the Dolman only to get thrown out before the match started. That's why I didn't really count it.

Oxford v Bournemouth Dec 26th 2002

Horribly drunk in with Bournemouth fans in a very spicy off the pitch game. Pub in car park was running battle beforehand.

Marcus Browning sent off after 15 minutes, Muff eventually lost 3-0.

I threw a pie at the linesman and got thrown out.

Went into town with mates, got into a row with some Oxford, lost badly, mainly because by that point standing was optional due to copious amounts of beer and we were all seeing double.

Woke up with a missing tooth, a really bad head, and minus £200.

We left the motel, went down the pub, and got the last train home.

Yay.

1 hour ago, SX227 said:

Oxford v Bournemouth Dec 26th 2002

Horribly drunk in with Bournemouth fans in a very spicy off the pitch game. Pub in car park was running battle beforehand.

Marcus Browning sent off after 15 minutes, Muff eventually lost 3-0.

I threw a pie at the linesman and got thrown out.

Went into town with mates, got into a row with some Oxford, lost badly, mainly because by that point standing was optional due to copious amounts of beer and we were all seeing double.

Woke up with a missing tooth, a really bad head, and minus £200.

We left the motel, went down the pub, and got the last train home.

Yay.

I hope you returned Mike Tyson’s tiger. 

15 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The company my dad worked for prior to retiring used to own a hospitality box at Old Trafford.

In something like 30 years working for them only once did his name come out of the hat. Fortunately, the game we blagged was Manchester United 7-1 Roma in the Champions League quarter-finals. Surreal.

Was it uncanny how often senior managers` names came out of said hat on a regular basis though?

I've always been a City fan but always have taken opportunities to watch other clubs.

Bristol Rovers. First game v Palace in 1950 and dozens more in 50's to 60's.

Cardiff City v Swansea Town 1950 and plenty in next ten years, Blackpool with Stan Matthews, Wolves among them.

Spurs v Gornik European Cup 1961

West Ham v Forest 1967

Fulham with Bobby Moore & George Best v W Ham 1971

Leicester City v Liverpool 1968

Chelsea v Liverpool early 60's

February 1963. Arsenal v Bolton & Spurs, Charlton v Bury

Lived in Shrewsbury for ten years. Lots of games at Gay Meadow v Arsenal, Man City and plenty more.

Celtic v Inter European Cup 1975 approx.

Same period Stoke v Leeds, lots at Villa with Uefa cup v Inter Milan notable.

Everton v Southampton. Went to see Le Tissier but he was injured.

Lived in Scotland for two years. Hearts several times including Scottish Cup final v Rangers. Many Livingston home games. Dunfermline v St Johnstone, Motherwell v Hearts, Falkirk v Airdrie, Hibs v Aberdeen, Rangers v a Greek team in Uefa cup. St Mirren v His.

In Portugal, Benfica, Coimbra both a couple of times.

Austria v Wales, world cup qualifier in 2016.

Watford with Bissett and Barnes hammering W Ham 4-1.

I think my travelling days are over. Just do home games now.

PS. England v Brazil, Portugal, USSR, and Rest of World all at Wembley.

England B v Switzerland B at Walsall.

Told this story before on here. 1968 Princess of Wales darts team mystery outing. Roy Savage, the landlord, arranges for us to go to Eastville to watch Rovers v Swindon knowing we are all City fans. But to get us all seated together we are booked in as Swindon supporters in the stand on the left looking from the gas works/tote end. Swindon do us proud by winning 2-1. After a few drinks in their supporters club it's off up the A38 to the now defunct Newport Towers and meal and plenty to drink.

Archived