IGNORED

Gerry Sharpe

Blagdon Mike

Gerry Sharpe (1946-2019) – an appreciation

We are sad to announce the passing of former player (1963-71) Gerry Sharpe on 17th December at the age of 73.  He had been settled in the USA for over 30 years. Gerry was a very fast forward with an eye for goal.  Under manager Fred Ford, he made his City debut aged 18 against Carlisle at Ashton Gate on 23 October 1964.  In the next ten matches he scored six goals, playing up front alongside John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Later, under manager Alan Dicks, he played increasingly at number 11, on the wing to better make use of his pace and he scored many goals by cutting in to shoot.  He was coming into his prime and in the sights of many top clubs, when his career was cruelly cut short by injury.  That was against Middlesbrough at Ashton Gate on 16 January 1971.  Fans at that match remember the sickening crack, heard around the ground as his leg was shattered.

Gerry Struggled for two years to get back into the game and played a few reserve matches but suffered a reaction each time.  He could bring himself to return to Ashton Gate for many years but eventually did so as City’s Youth Coach.  In the turmoil of Bob Houghton’s sacking in 1982, he acted as caretaker-manager for 19 days, during which City lost only one of their six games.  Three years later Gerry began a new career in the USA, where he remarried and settled.  Our thoughts are with his daughter Julie and his son Robert.

RIP Gerry,  an early City favourite of mine during my youth.. Was there in the enclosure on the fateful day vs Boro.. 

The sound of the crack still haunts me today when I remember it, was sickening then as it is in memory today... One of the saddest days watching City without a doubt... 

I'm saddened again today to hear of your passing at such a relatively young 73years of age.. Thoughts with your family and friends... 

His career was cruelly cut short by one of the most appalling fouls I've ever seen. And not even a caution (no yellow or red cards at that time).

As a player, he was exquisite. Very good ball control, took goal scoring chances with aplomb and a turn of speed that left defenders wondering where he had gone.

My thanks for his contribution to Bristol City and condolences to his family.

We played Fulham away in a night match, can't remember the score, but it was a very hard fought game. Maybe a cup match and a draw?

On the way out talking to a few locals, one of them stated,  Your number 11 is a good player.    My reply... Yep, that's Gerry Sharpe!

RIP Gerry.

Sad news.

Gerry was quick and skilful and weren't there rumours that some big clubs were keeping an eye on him? Of course, that became academic when he suffered his horrific injury.

Gerry was just a youngster when I first started watching City, so his passing certainly makes me feel old.

My dad used to live on the same street as him in Whitchurch and was good friends with him during his playing days and after. He always spoke highly of him as a person as well as as a player. They got back in touch a few years ago and met up at Ashton gate and exchanged mails and phone calls. He'll be gutted to hear this in the morning. I met him once and exchanged several mails with him and he seemed a great guy. Sad news.

What a sad loss. He was a heck of a player and would only have got better but for the awful injury.

He may have worn 11 on his shirt but was no old fashioned winger, more a modern, all round forward.

As I recall, West Ham were heavily linked with him at the time. He would have had at least as good a career as the one and only Chris Garland but for wretched luck.

RIP Gerry.

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

RIP Gerry, great player

Regrettably I remember that Middlesbrough game well. It was in a tackle with Eric McMordie IIRC.

Yes it was. In front of Dolman, just in from touchline in line with edge of penalty area. The crack was sickening - like the sound slamming down of one the old wooden seats in the stand at that time.

RIP Gerry .... good player

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Yes it was. In front of Dolman, just in from touchline in line with edge of penalty area. The crack was sickening - like the sound slamming down of one the old wooden seats in the stand at that time.

RIP Gerry .... good player

I was in the Dolman also. As you say the crack was awful. Remember the whole stand just going really quiet.

11 hours ago, Blagdon Mike said:

Gerry Sharpe (1946-2019) – an appreciation

We are sad to announce the passing of former player (1963-71) Gerry Sharpe on 17th December at the age of 73.  He had been settled in the USA for over 30 years. Gerry was a very fast forward with an eye for goal.  Under manager Fred Ford, he made his City debut aged 18 against Carlisle at Ashton Gate on 23 October 1964.  In the next ten matches he scored six goals, playing up front alongside John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Later, under manager Alan Dicks, he played increasingly at number 11, on the wing to better make use of his pace and he scored many goals by cutting in to shoot.  He was coming into his prime and in the sights of many top clubs, when his career was cruelly cut short by injury.  That was against Middlesbrough at Ashton Gate on 16 January 1971.  Fans at that match remember the sickening crack, heard around the ground as his leg was shattered.

Gerry Struggled for two years to get back into the game and played a few reserve matches but suffered a reaction each time.  He could bring himself to return to Ashton Gate for many years but eventually did so as City’s Youth Coach.  In the turmoil of Bob Houghton’s sacking in 1982, he acted as caretaker-manager for 19 days, during which City lost only one of their six games.  Three years later Gerry began a new career in the USA, where he remarried and settled.  Our thoughts are with his daughter Julie and his son Robert.

RIP Gerry, great player. I was nine years old and at the gate on the home game against Middlesbrough.

9 hours ago, 42nite said:

We played Fulham away in a night match, can't remember the score, but it was a very hard fought game. Maybe a cup match and a draw?

On the way out talking to a few locals, one of them stated,  Your number 11 is a good player.    My reply... Yep, that's Gerry Sharpe!

RIP Gerry.

That would have been the League Cup quarter-final, yes I was there as well, hard fought 0-0 as you say.................pissed down all night, won replay 1-0 .

Gerry was in the team when I first started watching City, he was the equivalent of Elliasson in those days. For those who haven't seen him he scores a penalty in this gabe against Charlton:

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/bcfcarchive/m/bristol-city-2-charlton-2-1970/

Note: if this link doesn't work try goblinrefuge.com and search for bristol

Archived