IGNORED

Gerry Sharpe

Blagdon Mike

RIP Gerry Sharpe and condolences to your family. 

Like many who have already posted, when I started watching City in 1967 Gerry was an established player. He glided past defenders and always scored his fair share. He reached double figures in each of his last three seasons. 

That terrible day against Middlesbrough is memorable for many reasons, none of them good.

The outstanding memory I have of Gerry was a goal against Blackburn in March 1970. City won 4-0 that day and I stood at the front of the East End behind the goal. I think we must have been at least two up when Gerry scored because instead of just slotting home from close range he flicked the ball up and headed it in. 

I should say this is my memory of it, from a few feet away. Part of the mystique of that era is we don't have multiple camera angles to confirm or perhaps spoil our recollections. 

It is, as many have said  very sad to read of Gerry's death. 

One of the standout players in the first team I watched. I also remember his long fight to play again, like Cheesley a little later, which was ultimately unsuccessful. Also his work with the youth team players who were soon thrown into the first team due to the events of 1982. Plus his short, but fairly successful stint as caretaker manager when Roy Hodgson got the boot.

Very sad news RIP

Great player. I was at the Middlesbrough game and remember the awful sound of that ‘crack’ as if it were yesterday. My dad was almost in tears as poor Gerry was stretchered off, clearly in immense pain. I heard a story (no way of knowing if it is true) that McMordie’s team-mates wouldn’t talk to him in the changing rooms after the game due to the horrendous nature of the tackle and the horrible consequences. RIP Gerry - one of my favourite players when I was a lad.

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Gerry was in the team when I first started watching City, he was the equivalent of Elliasson in those days. For those who haven't seen him he scores a penalty in this gabe against Charlton:

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/bcfcarchive/m/bristol-city-2-charlton-2-1970/

Note: if this link doesn't work try goblinrefuge.com and search for bristol

Great footage, thanks for that. Cant remember that match. The state of the pitch compared to now todays.

8 minutes ago, REDPJ said:

Great player. I was at the Middlesbrough game and remember the awful sound of that ‘crack’ as if it were yesterday. My dad was almost in tears as poor Gerry was stretchered off, clearly in immense pain. I heard a story (no way of knowing if it is true) that McMordie’s team-mates wouldn’t talk to him in the changing rooms after the game due to the horrendous nature of the tackle and the horrible consequences. RIP Gerry - one of my favourite players when I was a lad.

I think in fairness to McMordie it was the way the game was back then. All in the era of Gerry Gow, Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter etc etc. Proper football with proper tackles. Regrettably Gerry received an extra bad one.

Certainly one of my all time favourite players, was in the East End and also heard the “crack”. Remember the crowd after the game watching as he was put into an ambulance and missing my coach and having to walk to Portishead.

Have memories of beating Blackpool 4-0 when he was unplayable and, perhaps, scoring two.

RIP

Archived