IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Day 23

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

Gone are the days of a tommy docherty type midfielder in our team 

Is that role so useful on the modern game, 2019 at this level?

Unsure on that one tbh. Not saying he wasn't a good player- he was. Just have my doubts though, lot less physicality and contact- or even certainly less than 15-20 years ago, let alone from what went before!

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Listening on RB it was once again a City match devoid of much incident, particularly anything of excitement or real interest emanating from our beloved BCFC.

We're constantly told the Championship is one of the top leagues yet we seem to have frequent games where the football on show is poor, little or nothing really happens, and the crowd seem comatosed, so I have to call BS to that.

The game was so unenthralling (boring) I couldn't even get upset when the late penalty was given (and inevitably netted)

I reiterate my plea to LJ  that he provides us with a team who play some entertaining and exciting football with plenty of shots (1 on target today?) and goalmouth incidents - starting at my next pre paid AG visit against Luton - but frankly there's nothing to suggest that game will be any different to Millwall, Blackburn and many other home games.

Not a great prospect - we seem to be in a rut and It sometimes almost seems the players aren't that bothered - one of your jobs, LJ, is to fire them up and MAKE them bothered.

Modern game isn't it I fear. Possibly increasingly anyway.

Players- have wealth, wealth beyond what most of us can dream of, Set up young- look at Arsenal, big mismatch between wages and dynamism there I'd suggest. Look at Stoke, £50m wage bill last season, yet how many of theirs give a shit?

Perhaps I'm going OTT but nice city, nice wage, good lifestyle- what's the incentive (beyond what they should do as a matter of course but perhaps doesn't transpire) to really go out and put on a show, to bust a gut just before Christmas? Not saying they're taking the piss, but it can be difficult to inspire- to motivate.

Not just talking us either but a lot of clubs probably! Dare say quite a few clubs have the problem?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is that role so useful on the modern game, 2019 at this level?

Unsure on that one tbh. Not saying he wasn't a good player- he was. Just have my doubts though, lot less physicality and contact- or even certainly less than 15-20 years ago, let alone from what went before!

Bradley Johnson for blackburn

jake Livermore for wba

them type of players who ain’t afraid to let you know you ain’t going have time on the ball to dictate a game is what I ment by a tommy docherty midfielder 

Just now, Highguy said:

Bradley Johnson for blackburn

jake Livermore for wba

them type of players who ain’t afraid to let you know you ain’t going have time on the ball to dictate a game is what I ment by a tommy docherty midfielder 

Okay fair point. Think they have a reasonable amount about them technically too.

The thing is too, I noticed it today and some others in the match thread noticed it too- uneven application of referee and his approach to physicality contact. @hodge highlighted it quite well earlier.,

Definitely we need to press though- and to press well. I believe if LJ sets us up right we can, but he must set us up in the right way.

3 hours ago, Markular said:

350 fans went on the best part of a 370 mile round trip and were served up a plate of absolute steaming shite. I'm still wiping the remnants from the corner of my mouth. 

Well, as one of the 350, can I just say that no more than 349 thought they were served a plate of shite. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Agree totally with Big Tone that both sides showed too much respect, but if anything City showed less to begin with and started brightly. 5 at the back made us look a lot more solid and Moore was outstanding. Korey had a good game, and Diedhiou, with relatively little service, held the ball well and played some nice touches, despite the absolute battering he got from their defenders, wth no protection from the ref. Too many had off or at least inconsistent days, and when Brownhill is one of those the team suffers particularly. In hindsight the subs were probably not the right ones, but at the time it was a statement of intent, and on another day would have come off. So, in many ways it was a typical City away performance, and with a little more control we couldn't have got three points, we certainly deserved one.

From someone at the game - First half was not good, but we generally defended adequately and Wednesday created few good chances. Happy to be 0-0 at half time, Hunt shocking.

Second half, we eventually got going and started to worry Wednesday, could we do the steal as we have done a few times? Hold on for a point? Then came the bizarre substitutions, Palmer and Elliason were pretty anonymous, and removing the right back created space for them to attack. At the time I commented that it was a bad gamble, and immediately, Wednesday took charge again. 
It still took a very dodgy pen to beat us, so credit where it’s due. A battling, but hugely disjointed performance. 
I had lower expectations this season with so much change, and replacements who are inexperienced, or not played regularly. Will happen from time to time with our development policy, and we’ve not been helped by injuries.

Mixed feelings, not the time to remove LJ yet, but he does need to stop trying to be too clever.

Just watching the start of Strictly, Correction, the ice dancing rubbish, Holly reminds me of the Wednesday attack, a big pair up front, but maybe past their best.

Merry Christmas 

I watched the second half and although SW had most of the possession they didn’t look like scoring imho. 

The penalty was ‘soft’ (Sky pundits words, not mine) and after that we were chasing the game. Bentley pulled off another world class save to keep it 1-0. 

Obviously i’m disappointed with the defeat but it was to an in-form side who had just spanked Forest on their patch. They needed a dodgy pen to beat us. 

Next........

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I watched the second half and although SW had most of the possession they didn’t look like scoring imho. 

The penalty was ‘soft’ (Sky pundits words, not mine) and after that we were chasing the game. Bentley pulled off another world class save to keep it 1-0. 

Obviously i’m disappointed with the defeat but it was to an in-form side who had just spanked Forest on their patch. They needed a dodgy pen to beat us. 

Next........

Easier for them to do that and play that way as they are a side who like to, or are comfortable playing on the break...a bit like us in fact, a bit like Nottingham Forest too!

Possession- fact they had most of it vs us or 2nd half, isn't a good sign given they aren't a possession heavy side- yet it did nearly get us a point!

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Next........

Wednesday fans told our roving reporter @Curr Avon that their team were absolute crap today, it's just that City were even worse.

Next.... is Charlton; after that the prospect of another AG yawn inducer v Luton.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wednesday fans told our roving reporter @Curr Avon that their team were absolute crap today, it's just that City were even worse.

Next.... is Charlton; after that the prospect of another AG yawn inducer v Luton.

Well Charlton is a must not lose, and Luton a must win if we want to stay with the pack. Anything less than 4 points would be very poor.

Been saying it since god knows when, possession crap, passing crap, tactics crap, selection crap!

today I thought selection was better COD through the middle almost paid off right at the start, but you have to wonder if the experiment included the team in training.

Diedhieu actually controlled and used the ball how many times?
Midfielders bothered to make use of Weimann’s positioning - not! He gets into areas where he could make a difference but none of the team are keeping up!

Moore was a breath of fresh air. Why is LJ incapable of fielding a team that can play as a team?

I got more accuracy today sitting in front of the telly preparing the vegetables for dinner while watching the game - thank F I did not waste my time and money travelling to Sheffield!

we have the skill available, but not the figurehead to channel that skill - the Johnson has to go!

Brilliant Stadium, team full of potential - when does the organ grinder get fed up of the monkey that can’t perform?

3 hours ago, Chappers said:

From someone at the game - First half was not good, but we generally defended adequately and Wednesday created few good chances. Happy to be 0-0 at half time, Hunt shocking.

Second half, we eventually got going and started to worry Wednesday, could we do the steal as we have done a few times? Hold on for a point? Then came the bizarre substitutions, Palmer and Elliason were pretty anonymous, and removing the right back created space for them to attack. At the time I commented that it was a bad gamble, and immediately, Wednesday took charge again. 
It still took a very dodgy pen to beat us, so credit where it’s due. A battling, but hugely disjointed performance. 
I had lower expectations this season with so much change, and replacements who are inexperienced, or not played regularly. Will happen from time to time with our development policy, and we’ve not been helped by injuries.

Mixed feelings, not the time to remove LJ yet, but he does need to stop trying to be too clever.

Just watching the start of Strictly, Correction, the ice dancing rubbish, Holly reminds me of the Wednesday attack, a big pair up front, but maybe past their best.

Merry Christmas 

Never, EVER slag off my Holly. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Well Charlton is a must not lose, and Luton a must win if we want to stay with the pack. Anything less than 4 points would be very poor.

Charlton's last win was 12 games ago.

I saw a memorable 2-2 at the Valley long ago, I'd take that again on Boxing Day.

City and Luton are 2 of only 3 clubs (Brum is the other) to have lost their last 3 games.

I once witnesed a dull 0-0 at Luton with Jimmy Mann hitting the bar.

Unfortunately I would't be surprised at a similar scoreline at AG.

Anything can happen though - it's just it doesn't seem very likely to at the moment.

Archived