IGNORED

Thoughts as our Season reaches half time

Jerseybean

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes unfortunately, no worse but supposedly with a better squad and a lot more players that he has bought, people said give him time well he's had that and still we seem to be inconsistent and if today is anything to go by going backwards.

With as many points? I'm sure I heard we are 7 points better off than we were at the same time last year.

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

With as many points? I'm sure I heard we are 7 points better off than we were at the same time last year.

On commentary I think they said 5 points, but that would have been before today.

And we're exactly half the points of last season at halfway point 

10 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Top 2 if he had never had that injury 

That would have meant the rest of the team playing consistently well, which they haven't.

We have troughs where no one plays well, and no reason to think Afobe would have made such a big difference even if he'd kept his form, which is not guaranteed at all.

We don't create many chances, we don't shoot enough.

Afobe was a big loss, but his absence is not the crux of the problem imo.

First thing to take into consideration is the expectation before the season kicked off, for many just being top half would have been enough given the amount of injuries to key players we had, add Kalas and Afobe being out for stretches as well. From here we can easily split this into two sections home and away performance. Away performances have been good generally, very good amount of points picked up on the road. At home however not enough points being picked up seemingly because we try and play the same way as we do away but the opposition mentality is different, we need to find a way to play effective football at home if we want a chance of top 6. 

Summary for me would be no need to panic yet, however there need to be at least signs of the football changing at home. 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

On commentary I think they said 5 points, but that would have been before today.

And we're exactly half the points of last season at halfway point 

It's 4 or 5 points.

What's this mean? Unless you mean 23 games etc?

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Top 2 if he had never had that injury 

Dunno about top 2- safer in the playoffs? I'd say yeah.

It's worth looking at those early season games even with Afobe- we still conceded some chances, we still tended to have less than 50% of the ball and we still converted at a higher than normal rate.

Better yes! Top 2 better- dunno!

2 hours ago, shelts said:

It’s always been our way to do it on the cheap . Afobe is a loss but surely we didn’t pin all our hopes on one player and even then not have a plan B.  Still unable to see a style of play that LJ is trying to play . Pretty disappointed. 

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01501663/filing-history

It may take a while granted, maybe but worth a read all the same! Last 3 seasons, so 2019, 2018 and 2017.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's 4 or 5 points.

It's worth looking at those early season games even with Afobe- we still conceded some chances, we still tended to have less than 50% of the ball and we still converted at a higher than normal rate.

The only injury that's really affected us is afobe at the moment jch of rovers would do no worse than famara who is average at best

3 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

The only injury that's really affected us is afobe at the moment jch of rovers would do no worse than famara who is average at best

I'd like to see us really try and get the best out of Weimann.

I don't think LJ does. Diedhiou was okay today, but in general I'd use him as a backup, a Plan B.

There's no doubt though, that Afobe has been a big loss- certainly has.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

List them?

Some yes, some no IMO.

Preston, some home attendances under 10k ffs I.e v Fulham earlier in the month home fans only.

Brentford, very small club but well run fair enough Il accept that one.

Swansea, playing a very youthful team due to having no money and very poor fanbase despite years to accumulate a better one in the Prem.

As it stands these clubs have overtaken us from last season and I dont find it acceptable. We arent little Bristol City anymore, we are a 20k + fans every game, playing in a world important City with a sound set up and financially secure. 

We are also in danger of being overtaken by QPR, Hull, Millwall, Blackburn etc. None of these clubs have a) anywhere near our number of fans b) as secure a set up as we have.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Preston, some home attendances under 10k ffs I.e v Fulham earlier in the month home fans only.

Brentford, very small club but well run fair enough Il accept that one.

Swansea, playing a very youthful team due to having no money and very poor fanbase despite years to accumulate a better one in the Prem.

As it stands these clubs have overtaken us from last season and I dont find it acceptable. We arent little Bristol City anymore, we are a 20k + fans every game, playing in a world important City with a sound set up and financially secure. 

We are also in danger of being overtaken by QPR, Hull, Millwall, Blackburn etc. None of these clubs have a) anywhere near our number of fans b) as secure a set up as we have.

Thanks.

Let's see- we are also above, e.g. Derby. I'd have to look down- Middlesbrough had 2 years of parachute payments but have very much hit the reset button.

Brentford- agreed. Preston...both have an identity and are well run for sure. Swansea are in year 2 and will be in Year 3 of Parachute Payments Also played in Europe and won one of the 3 major trophies in the last 6-7 years- something we've never done!

Hull and QPR but Hull moreso have been in and out of the PL in recent times- this gives something. Blackburn were PL perennials until Venkys' mismanaged them- but then again maybe they were always fighting gravity- Millwall I totally agree on.

Attendance can be a red herring though, but then I agree maybe we should be 2 places higher net. I dunno, top 6 should be the goal for this season in any case IMO.

I think a lot will depend on where we finish at the end of the season. 

I can't see that unless things radically improve with signings in Jan (when was the last time that happened?) That We will improve or even be in the same position as last season. Then what?

Are we happy just to coast along in the top half of the division always flattering to deceive; or do we twist next season; and make a fresh start.

I think the experiences of a team like Ipswich will weigh heavily on our senior management; when they got rid of McCarthy. 

However it's been 4 years Now, and when things start to drift slowly downhill; and year on year progression isnt being made; tough decisions may have to be made.

Happy enough so far, definitely not as good a team as last season, and we are struggling to find our best shape. Injuries have hindered us, Nagy, Hair and Pedro will take time to adjust to Championship football, so expectations of them need to be realistic. Was stunned that we signed Palmer, and so far, my reservations have proved to be correct. 
If we can get it together, no reason we can’t make the play offs, but I’d view that as a bonus rather than an expectation. Next season is when I hope we will push on as the younger players develop.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I read in another thread that he’s signed 64 players. Is anyone in a position to confirm that’s true? Staggering if so. 

Can't be far off that. With the exception of Korey he signed all 17 of the other players on duty today. 

How many keepers other than Bentley? Geifer,Steele,Lucic Marinovic,Nikki,Gilmartin.

Defenders other than today's include Matthews,Ekstrand,baker,pisano,dasilva,Webster,Magnússon

Midfield.. Walsh,Paterson,Watkins,Tomlin,hegeler,oneil,adelukan

Forwards..elsa,Taylor,duric engvall,Hinds

Then factor in all the loans...cotterill,Tammy,odemwingie,Woodrow,Kent,leko,diony,

Bound to be more I've missed but it's a fair old tally that's for sure. 

My concern is that over the last few seasons we've started pretty well, got everyone excited then dropped off from Jan onwards after an underwhelming transfer window.

Looks to me so far that it will be deja vu this season. Our league position has been good up to now but the alarm bells are already going off.

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's 4 or 5 points.

Yeah to clarify, I meant we have 35 points from half a season. Last season, we totalled 70. So, we're exactly tracking with 2018-19. I think most of us would be disappointed if we don't improve in the next 23 games.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks.

Let's see- we are also above, e.g. Derby. I'd have to look down- Middlesbrough had 2 years of parachute payments but have very much hit the reset button.

Brentford- agreed. Preston...both have an identity and are well run for sure. Swansea are in year 2 and will be in Year 3 of Parachute Payments Also played in Europe and won one of the 3 major trophies in the last 6-7 years- something we've never done!

Hull and QPR but Hull moreso have been in and out of the PL in recent times- this gives something. Blackburn were PL perennials until Venkys' mismanaged them- but then again maybe they were always fighting gravity- Millwall I totally agree on.

Attendance can be a red herring though, but then I agree maybe we should be 2 places higher net. I dunno, top 6 should be the goal for this season in any case IMO.

As I said, we have been given an open goal at the play offs due to Derby and Boro being in transition and the poor quality of relegated clubs. To not get play offs means 3 clubs overtake us from last season and I think if we dont at least mount a bloody good attempt at not letting that happen then its a failure of management from a position of strength.

As someone who only gets to home games and missed the Huddersfield fixture, I would say that it’s been a pretty frustrating and lacklustre season so far. The only real highlight was Brownhill’s last minute goal against Charlton. There has been little else to get me out of my seat.

My observation is that LJ still doesn’t know his best team or formation. A lot of the time we look unbalanced, we are still missing something midfield, and Afobe is a huge loss up front. We look less than the sum of our component parts, which is either the players underperforming, the coach not getting it right or both.

If Steve Lansdown is expecting a top 6 finish this season, then we need to start beating teams like Charlton and Luton. Lose those 2, then by New Years Day and Brentford, we will be looking down the table rather than up. The next few months could really be make or break for LJ. That or the talk of top 6 and playoffs was just that - talk.. However I think Lansdown knows that to make money the club needs to be in the Premier League, and if LJ can’t even reach the playoffs after the investment this season, he may have to look elsewhere for a coach who can achieve promotion.

Archived