IGNORED

Can somebody please explain O’Dowda to me

The Nest Egg

15 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Really at a loss now to what he brings. Starting to remind me of Martyn Woolford to be honest. Poor football intelligence, doesn’t link up well with the others and no end product. Let’s hope that Eliasson doesn’t end up like Bolasie; leaving for first team football and then becoming a Premier League player...

He was signed under the pretense that he was a raw player and one for the future. Yet, he seems to just get into the team despite doing very little of note. Run up the wing a bit, turn around, make a short pass which sometimes doesn’t even go right. Is certainly not a natural finisher but even his crossing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time. As to why Johnson keeps trying getting  to shoehorn him at left wing back to play this turgid 3-5-2, God knows. Actually I think even she would struggle to comprehend why.

Please please please please someone enlighten me as the fact that he got a new contract is beyond me. Ask yourself; when he gets the ball, do you get up off your seat in anticipation or do you resign yourself to what is inevitably going to happen next?

I have to agree..I too was screaming at the tv about the lack of cutting edge he has in the final third!

He has not shown the same attacking quality he had early on in his City career.

It would seem he has not developed that side of his attacking game but he seems to get the nod over someone like Kasey (who was poor today) as his discipline getting back in to shape and working well off the ball seems to be more important.

Perhaps his attacking quality has been coached out of him....

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Come on.  But comes on with a team playing shit, played out of position, having been given no run in the team (or minutes of late), and he’s being called out.  Plenty of others in the queue today, ahead of Palmer.

You're definitely more sympathetic than me! I don't think any of that excuses playing daft first time balls when in space on a counter attack, or giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Minimum requirement is do the basics right and I think we could point to a host of examples of inexplicable bad decision making in his cameo.

But I agree that others are more culpable. But then O'Dowda out of position too. 

1 minute ago, 50cal said:

I have to agree..I too was screaming at the tv about the lack of cutting edge he has in the final third!

He has not shown the same attacking quality he had early on in his City career.

It would seem he has not developed that side of his attacking game but he seems to get the nod over someone like Kasey (who was poor today) as his discipline getting back in to shape and working well off the ball seems to be more important.

Perhaps his attacking quality has been coached out of him....

When was this? Always been the same for me, a safe nothing player with zero cutting edge, footballing ability or skill. 

Lets not forget Oxford fans were pissing themselves they got a few million for him, I guess they were right..

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're definitely more sympathetic than me! I don't think any of that excuses playing daft first time balls when in space on a counter attack, or giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Minimum requirement is do the basics right and I think we could point to a host of examples of inexplicable bad decision making in his cameo.

But I agree that others are more culpable. But then O'Dowda out of position too. 

You might be right, but it’s symptomatic of coming on as sub, away from home, when your team are playing shit.  It’s hard to get into, when you’re starved of possession, and the first thing your team mates do when you get the ball is make runs for a Hoddle-pass.  Nobody gives him a simple pass often enough.

Unless LJ wants to waste £3.5m, he needs to give him the sane gametime / run of games others (who’ve failed to deliver) have been given.

If at that point he hasn’t done enough, fair enough.

We cry out for his ability to turn a home game, yet he’s been given one start since Aug.  He’s started two games on the trot twice this season.  Others have been given much more opportunity.

Said from the beggining of the season that COD is a big ? Defence no, attacking no, passes no, shoot no and so on and on. We were the only Club that were interested in him. The team was not good today but COD is bad almost every game he starts. He scored a wondergoal vs Norwich last year, thats it. Maybe he can go out on loan in Januari. That he is before, Nagy, Wonderboy, Eliasson and others are.beyond me. Wake up LJ!!!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You might be right, but it’s symptomatic of coming on as sub, away from home, when your team are playing shit.  It’s hard to get into, when you’re starved of possession, and the first thing your team mates do when you get the ball is make runs for a Hoddle-pass.  Nobody gives him a simple pass often enough.

Unless LJ wants to waste £3.5m, he needs to give him the sane gametime / run of games others (who’ve failed to deliver) have been given.

We cry out for his ability to turn a home game, yet he’s been given one start since Aug.  He’s started two games on the trot twice this season.  Others have been given much more opportunity.

All fair points but my counter is look at the impact Elliasson had, and always does. He ran at players, won free kicks, simple passes, didn't commit fouls. If anyone deserves a regular slot it's him.

And we know that you can't fit Elliasson and Palmer in the same team (baffling that Johnson tried that at the end!)

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yet Johnson brings him on and plays him left wing, you'd think out of all the sub performances he would come on and make even a little impact.

It seems everytime he comes on he consistently gives the ball away and fouls and runs into trouble.

His confidence is absolutely shot imo, when hes on it he can be a real player but I really just dont see signs of that coming any time soon.

Same as COD, both can be real assets for us, but in this style of negative play and trying to survive in games and pinch goals, it isnt going to work for them.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

All fair points but my counter is look at the impact Elliasson had, and always does. He ran at players, won free kicks, simple passes, didn't commit fouls. If anyone deserves a regular slot it's him.

And we know that you can't fit Elliasson and Palmer in the same team (baffling that Johnson tried that at the end!)

All valid points too.

As I said after CoD had re-signed to the question what does he bring? He’ll bring LJ his P45.

Sums LJs reign up to me. CoD may well run around a lot and be the fastest player in training, with very pleasing mobility stats. No doubt  that qualifies him for Chief Busy Bee status in LJs mind. However, he brings F-all to the table in a real match.

Edging now towards having had enough. 

We’re stale.

As everything in Bristol Sport is measured in a consumer-type way, time to adopt the ‘product evloution’ analogy, we’re in the mature phase now with LJ on a downward spiral. 

Disappointing end to the project, but continual buying of lightweight mini-mes in midfield and ignoring the age old City problem of lacking a decent pool of strikers have finally caught up with us. 

Mark Ashton......cough....cough......Mark Ashton. 

O’Dowda is Ashton’s golden child. He was his parting gesture to Oxford when he left there to come here. Ashton has basically hung his hat on O’Dowda. 

And to think, Ashton wanted to put his eggs in O’Dowda’s one dimensional basket rather than pursue Ollie Watkins. 

Poor recruitment. 

2 hours ago, Flagon said:

At the moment I'm just glad he did sign a new contract so that we hopefully get something for him. 

No-one who can pay him half of what he's earning would actually want him. And if they did, they wouldn't want to pay for him.

TLDR he ain't going nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

No-one who can pay him half of what he's earning would actually want him. And if they did, they wouldn't want to pay for him.

TLDR he ain't going nowhere.

He’s got a very good agent who, no doubt, is already touting his talents around to bigger Clubs than us. 

Hoping Leeds and Forest have a bidding war come 1 January. 

Would be massively disappointed if our CEO in granting that contract extension hasn’t already got Clubs lined up for bids starting at £5 million. 

If you listen to Ashley Williams post match interview - he is clearly equally frustrated with the lack of quality in the final third.  He mentions, correctly, that the defence and Bentley did their jobs but it’s what he didn’t say about the final third - you can read his thoughts about that.

For far too long we have been very very weak in the final third - and too many ‘attacking midfielders’ don’t have the confidence or ability to drop a shoulder and shoot from distance or look for that killer pass.

We need two strikers, minimum, in Jan - but we still need some quality in the middle of the pitch!

Archived