IGNORED

Can somebody please explain O’Dowda to me

The Nest Egg

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was thinking if we go 4 at the back then LJ is bound to bring off Moore. And thought if i had to take one of the 3 centre backs off then it'd be Williams, as he'd not been as good as the other 2 today imo. Hadn't thought Moore would do well against Harris like he did at right back.

So Williams, Hunt and then I thought O'Dowda and Weimann had to come off, so not sure which one out of those 2!

Might’ve been better subbing 4 off and only bringing 3 on ???

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a good squad on paper (someone on twitter said we don’t play on paper!).

A good squad doesn't necessarily make a good team and that seems to be our problem. On paper we have a more than capable squad for this division but still seem to be trying to work out our best TEAM. We all said "wait till we get all our injured players back" but only Afobe and Dasilva are still out and we seem to have gotten worse as opposed to getting better. We were bereft of ideas today and as regards the passing.......that was shocking. 

For my money the first change was made too early. We were comfortable (ish) at 0-0. As soon as he made the double switch and changed the system we were wide open again in midfield. If he wanted to go for the win then Eliason should have come on around the 80th minute mark in place of Hunt. The Earlier change should have been to replace CoD or Smith with Nagy. and put Brownhill as AM behind the front 2.

I actually think O'Dowda has the attributes to be a good player, which is probably why we (and his agent) persist, but his main problem is he has zero interest in winning football matches, so his skillset amounts to very little.

Not sure I can recall a more gutless City player, he can run around a bit if you need to tick those boxes, but turns back and passes inside at the first sight of trouble, he plays it safe so often he's a waste of an attacking selection.

I suppose he is useful in the press but he's virtually become an attacking non-entity which is remarkable for a player of his attributes. I used to bemoan Paterson but Paterson takes on players and tries to win football games.

The nicest thing I can say about O'Dowda is he tries hard not to lose football games, sadly he has very little interest in winning them. The pass inside to the opposition at 1-0 down with players ahead of him summed up his cowardice.

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

For my money the first change was made too early. We were comfortable (ish) at 0-0. As soon as he made the double switch and changed the system we were wide open again in midfield. If he wanted to go for the win then Eliason should have come on around the 80th minute mark in place of Hunt. The Earlier change should have been to replace CoD or Smith with Nagy. and put Brownhill as AM behind the front 2.

You’re right, we were marginally better second half.  O’Dowda got put through and didn’t cut it back.  Rowe crosses for Hunt to see his header off the line.

But again, it gets thrown in a bin for a drastic change rather than a subtle tweak.

Now when did I title a thread “sledgehammer to crack a walnut” ?

Most of us would’ve taken 0-0.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

The nicest thing I can say about O'Dowda is he tries hard not to lose football games, sadly he has very little interest in winning them. The pass inside to the opposition at 1-0 down with players ahead of him summed up his cowardice.

That bit epitomised it for me.  Chance to stretch his legs....checked back.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

I actually think O'Dowda has the attributes to be a good player, which is probably why we (and his agent) persist, but his main problem is he has zero interest in winning football matches, so his skillset amounts to very little.

Not sure I can recall a more gutless City player, he can run around a bit if you need to tick those boxes, but turns back and passes inside at the first sight of trouble, he plays it safe so often he's a waste of an attacking selection.

I suppose he is useful in the press but he's virtually become an attacking non-entity which is remarkable for a player of his attributes. I used to bemoan Paterson but Paterson takes on players and tries to win football games.

Spot on @Olé  

His attributes on paper (as previously mentioned it’s not played on paper) are everything you want- tall, quick, etc. But he rarely drives us forward, creates anything nor does he seem to have the football brain to be part of the squad. 
Ive never rated him, he has always frustrated me and I’m amazed it’s taken this long for others to really see this. 
the fact he started today didn’t surprise me, but instantly frustrated me- and the early chance summed him up. 
The fact he then stayed on for 90 minutes was quite remarkable and must serious harm morale of others, like Szmodics, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer etc. 

sadly I can’t see anyone wanting him, nor bidding for him. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on in both posts JD.

He us back to square one. I thought he’d go back to a back 3, but never envisaged O’Dowda starting today with Brownhill, Nagy, Massengo and Smith to choose from.

I think the Afobe thing was key, the 5212 with Palmer meant the opposition worried about us!!

That no longer works!!

What I can’t understand is we now appear to have a squad that has players inflexible in certain formations, or players incompatible with each other, or both!

He really needs to pick an 11 in a system and stick to it....coach it, drill it, go with the courage of his convictions.

The problem is, Davefevs, that I don't believe that he has a clue what he is doing. He cannot stop tinkering/changing on a match/weekly basis.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You’re right, we were marginally better second half.  O’Dowda got put through and didn’t cut it back.  Rowe crosses for Hunt to see his header off the line.

But again, it gets thrown in a bin for a drastic change rather than a subtle tweak.

Now when did I title a thread “sledgehammer to crack a walnut” ?

Most of us would’ve taken 0-0.

0-0 was the only result I could see us getting. We were toothless in attack and never really troubled the keeper all game.

As I said, in the match day thread before the game. O'Dowda...Oh Blimey!

As any City fan, I want our players to perform well, consistently. But, for fks sake, LEE WAKE UP, this guy  brings absolutely nothing to the table in so many ways.

I keep wanting him to turn in a decent performance, but, I'm also hoping for a lottery jackpot win, both unfortunately,seem to be rather unobtainable.

Us, in the stands, can see a lot more I feel than those, supposedly higher educated in the ways of football management.

Think this was the last game COD started for City. He will probably go out on loan in january and then be sold. Or maybe LJ see it different. What we supporters see also the other Cityplayers see, I wonder how LJ explain the starting eleven for the other players. It cant be right for the mood in the team when you know you are better than COD bur you are on the bench. When Ryan Kent was here, we had to play him. Liverpool-City, agremant. Dont think its written in contract that COD should start a certain amount of games. Had always get behind LJ but in this case think he is on the wrong track. Really hope we can win the next two games, we are still fighting for top six.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Matty Taylor is far from the best but light years in front of COD and he would have gobbled up that early chance yesterday. 

Yep we said that at the time.  Taylor's finish was from a very similar position (after some good individual work too) against man city in the week. 

I'm not trying to portray him as the messiah, I just think we let the wrong one go out on loan. 

Taylor at least brought effort and aggression with him onto the pitch every single time.  And occasionally brought finishes with him too... o'Dowda brings none of those, yet gets a starting place? Just baffling 

All these players mentioned Brownhill, COD, Patterson, Taylor , Adelakin , Schmodics and Eisa have the ability but have not been showing it under Johnson (two got sent out on loan and one sold) perhaps that's where the problem lies. I'm sure a better manager could get the best out of these players and at least know the best positions to play them. 

18 hours ago, Redpool said:

League One player. 

COD would be lucky too get a gig playing for Rovers. He should of scored and his lack lustre kick was stupid. After that I new we had our chance to get a good start and it was thrown away.

. I feel sorry for the city supporters that travelled probably 4 hours and my hat goes off to them. I won’t mention this gentleman’s name but he was at my dads wake last Tuesday in the Whitchurch legion and he goes to every city away game and I was thinking of this poor gent when watching it on tele in OZ.

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

COD would be lucky too get a gig playing for Rovers. He should of scored and his lack lustre kick was stupid. After that I new we had our chance to get a good start and it was thrown away.

. I feel sorry for the city supporters that travelled probably 4 hours and my hat goes off to them. I won’t mention this gentleman’s name but he was at my dads wake last Tuesday in the Whitchurch legion and he goes to every city away game and I was thinking of this poor gent when watching it on tele in OZ.

Cannot disagree with any of that. Hats off to those who did travel.

4 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think this was the last game COD started for City. He will probably go out on loan in january and then be sold. Or maybe LJ see it different. What we supporters see also the other Cityplayers see, I wonder how LJ explain the starting eleven for the other players. It cant be right for the mood in the team when you know you are better than COD bur you are on the bench. When Ryan Kent was here, we had to play him. Liverpool-City, agremant. Dont think its written in contract that COD should start a certain amount of games. Had always get behind LJ but in this case think he is on the wrong track. Really hope we can win the next two games, we are still fighting for top six.

Lj likes him and hes not long signed a new contract, he is being played out of position as per lj over thinking/managing everything ....

Im  not his biggest fan but he wasnt any worse than quite a few of them yesterday   

9 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Cannot disagree with any of that. Hats off to those who did travel.

I am fairly sure that the majority of City fans who attend these Yorkshire, televised matches are actually living up that way. I went to Barnsley on the Friday night game, and there was one coach in the car park, and I didnt recognise a single person in the away end as a regular away goer.

Thing with O'Dowda is Leeds apparently wanted him, forest almost certainly wanted him, Fulham bid for him. So it seems teams rate him. 

I think there have been a few good performances from him this season, but yesterday was very poor. I don't think the tactics helped. This strange formation that all our midfielders seem to play poorly in.

I remember Stoke at home where he was pretty much our best player. Even went up front at the end and chased everything and helped us see out the game.

Some away performances like Fulham and that game where he crossed it for Djuric to score. Was he quicker back then? Looked it to me.

I found last season that he performed much better with Dasilva behind him and wide left. As Dasilva could advance up the pitch himself to feed O'Dowda on the wing. Where he would be one on one and could take on his marker.

With Rowe or even when with Kelly behind him he received the ball too deep and would often have to go backwards.

5 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Lj likes him and hes not long signed a new contract, he is being played out of position as per lj over thinking/managing everything ....

Im  not his biggest fan but he wasnt any worse than quite a few of them yesterday   

Most of the players were not good vs SW but its rare that COD are good when he is playing. Wonder what position is best for COD in the team.

Archived