Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Newquay-Red

Can somebody please explain O’Dowda to me

Really at a loss now to what he brings. Starting to remind me of Martyn Woolford to be honest. Poor football intelligence, doesn’t link up well with the others and no end product. Let’s hope that Eliasson doesn’t end up like Bolasie; leaving for first team football and then becoming a Premier League player...

He was signed under the pretense that he was a raw player and one for the future. Yet, he seems to just get into the team despite doing very little of note. Run up the wing a bit, turn around, make a short pass which sometimes doesn’t even go right. Is certainly not a natural finisher but even his crossing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time. As to why Johnson keeps trying getting  to shoehorn him at left wing back to play this turgid 3-5-2, God knows. Actually I think even she would struggle to comprehend why.

Please please please please someone enlighten me as the fact that he got a new contract is beyond me. Ask yourself; when he gets the ball, do you get up off your seat in anticipation or do you resign yourself to what is inevitably going to happen next?

Edited by Newquay-Red
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I really rated ODowda, and thought that prior to his injury last year, would go on to great things. 
But after watching that performance, he really should be nowhere near the 1st team. Absolutely shocking “performance “

I called him out as shite at the start of last season and got shot down by some, he is utterly dreadful, totally uninterested and for me should have gone as soon as he didn’t want to sign the contract.

completely unacceptable performance from a so called professional footballer today.

• Like 7

Was useless but cant just slate his performances, most of that team were awful and have been really lacklustre.

Palmer brings less than Tomlin did.

Smith ain't the same as he was in league one, gets bullied and is slow in possession.

Weimann aimless running as well as COD.

Bentley, Taylor Moore and Fam to a certain extent only ones who played okay for today. Okay but not enough.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Really at a loss now to what he brings. Starting to remind me of Martyn Woolford to be honest. Poor football intelligence, doesn’t link up well with the others and no end product. Let’s hope that Eliasson doesn’t end up like Bolasie; leaving for first team football and then becoming a Premier League player...

He was signed under the pretense that he was a raw player and one for the future. Yet, he seems to just get into the team despite doing very little of note. Run up the wing a bit, turn around, make a short pass which sometimes doesn’t even go right. Is certainly not a natural finisher but even his crossing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time.

Please please please please someone enlighten me as the fact that he got a new contract is beyond me. Ask yourself; when he gets the ball, do you get up off your seat in anticipation or do you resign yourself to what is inevitably going to happen next?

Just been given a bumper new deal, the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever.

• Like 5

Never really understood the hype around him, was disappointed when he signed a new deal. Looks as if he could be a threat, but his end product is useless. Gets into some promising areas then just loses possession, falls over, or picks the wrong pass. Awful 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

Just been given a bumper new deal, the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever.

Had no fight prior to his big pay-day as well.

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Was useless but cant just slate his performances, most of that team were awful and have been really lacklustre.

Smith ain't the same as he was in league one, gets bullied and is slow in possession.

Bentley, Taylor Moore and Fam to a certain extent only ones who played okay for today. Okay but not enough.

Thought 3 CBS did well today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

Completely true. 50:50s are 90:10s when O’Dowda is involved. Hesitates and jumps out of challenges constantly. 

Complete waste of a squad player.

A typical Johnson player whose Opta stats probably speak to a far better player than who actually turns up and has no positive influence on play.

12th-10th all day long. We really aren’t geared up to achieve anything more.

• Like 1

I'm surprised more hasn't been said about how poor Palmer was again today. Another game with a heavy negative impact!

I bet you O'Dowda is in for his height. LJ doesn't want aerial weakness. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm surprised more hasn't been said about how poor Palmer was again today. Another game with a heavy negative impact!

I agree ref Palmer, don’t see much in him at all and completely lightweight. If only Tomlin had his head straight when with us as he is twice the player Palmer is.

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

There’s playing poor and giving 110%, and there’s playing poor and going through the motions.  There were a couple out there today who put in a shift but it just didn’t come off for them.  We aren’t good enough to carry 1 or 2.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Come on.  But comes on with a team playing shit, played out of position, having been given no run in the team (or minutes of late), and he’s being called out.  Plenty of others in the queue today, ahead of Palmer.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

There’s playing poor and giving 110%, and there’s playing poor and going through the motions.  There were a couple out there today who put in a shift but it just didn’t come off for them.  We aren’t good enough to carry 1 or 2.

Feel like we are carrying more than one or two at the moment. Need 9-10 players to be on their game not 4-5.

When we recover the ball it seems that the players just go back and put us under pressure.

Also the lack of a plan B under LJ is so so evident this season, cant win playing one way.

O’Dowda is a strange one. In theory, he has all the attributes (just enough pace, great physique, decent technical ability) to be an excellent player in this league but he’s never got close to performing consistently. 

Because of the physicality he has he’s a classic example of a player with potential, who keeps getting picked because of that potential but who actually achieves very little. If he doesn’t start delivering soon you wonder if he ever will. He’s an infuriating player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He was a joke today - not alone as Palmer, Brownhill and Weimann all equally as poor. 

I think when Brownhill and Weimann both have an off day we're bound to struggle

15 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

He was signed under the pretense that he was a raw player and one for the future. Yet, he seems to just get into the team despite doing very little of note. Run up the wing a bit, turn around, make a short pass which sometimes doesn’t even go right. Is certainly not a natural finisher but even his crossing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time. As to why Johnson keeps trying getting  to shoehorn him at left wing back to play this turgid 3-5-2, God knows. Actually I think even she would struggle to comprehend why.

I have to agree..I too was screaming at the tv about the lack of cutting edge he has in the final third!

He has not shown the same attacking quality he had early on in his City career.

It would seem he has not developed that side of his attacking game but he seems to get the nod over someone like Kasey (who was poor today) as his discipline getting back in to shape and working well off the ball seems to be more important.

Perhaps his attacking quality has been coached out of him....

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Come on.  But comes on with a team playing shit, played out of position, having been given no run in the team (or minutes of late), and he’s being called out.  Plenty of others in the queue today, ahead of Palmer.

You're definitely more sympathetic than me! I don't think any of that excuses playing daft first time balls when in space on a counter attack, or giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Minimum requirement is do the basics right and I think we could point to a host of examples of inexplicable bad decision making in his cameo.

But I agree that others are more culpable. But then O'Dowda out of position too. 

1 minute ago, 50cal said:

I have to agree..I too was screaming at the tv about the lack of cutting edge he has in the final third!

He has not shown the same attacking quality he had early on in his City career.

It would seem he has not developed that side of his attacking game but he seems to get the nod over someone like Kasey (who was poor today) as his discipline getting back in to shape and working well off the ball seems to be more important.

Perhaps his attacking quality has been coached out of him....

When was this? Always been the same for me, a safe nothing player with zero cutting edge, footballing ability or skill. 

Lets not forget Oxford fans were pissing themselves they got a few million for him, I guess they were right..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're definitely more sympathetic than me! I don't think any of that excuses playing daft first time balls when in space on a counter attack, or giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Minimum requirement is do the basics right and I think we could point to a host of examples of inexplicable bad decision making in his cameo.

But I agree that others are more culpable. But then O'Dowda out of position too. 

You might be right, but it’s symptomatic of coming on as sub, away from home, when your team are playing shit.  It’s hard to get into, when you’re starved of possession, and the first thing your team mates do when you get the ball is make runs for a Hoddle-pass.  Nobody gives him a simple pass often enough.

Unless LJ wants to waste £3.5m, he needs to give him the sane gametime / run of games others (who’ve failed to deliver) have been given.

If at that point he hasn’t done enough, fair enough.

We cry out for his ability to turn a home game, yet he’s been given one start since Aug.  He’s started two games on the trot twice this season.  Others have been given much more opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Flagon said:

At the moment I'm just glad he did sign a new contract so that we hopefully get something for him. 

Enough to cover the cost of the ink.

• Haha 1

Said from the beggining of the season that COD is a big ? Defence no, attacking no, passes no, shoot no and so on and on. We were the only Club that were interested in him. The team was not good today but COD is bad almost every game he starts. He scored a wondergoal vs Norwich last year, thats it. Maybe he can go out on loan in Januari. That he is before, Nagy, Wonderboy, Eliasson and others are.beyond me. Wake up LJ!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You might be right, but it’s symptomatic of coming on as sub, away from home, when your team are playing shit.  It’s hard to get into, when you’re starved of possession, and the first thing your team mates do when you get the ball is make runs for a Hoddle-pass.  Nobody gives him a simple pass often enough.

Unless LJ wants to waste £3.5m, he needs to give him the sane gametime / run of games others (who’ve failed to deliver) have been given.

We cry out for his ability to turn a home game, yet he’s been given one start since Aug.  He’s started two games on the trot twice this season.  Others have been given much more opportunity.

All fair points but my counter is look at the impact Elliasson had, and always does. He ran at players, won free kicks, simple passes, didn't commit fouls. If anyone deserves a regular slot it's him.

And we know that you can't fit Elliasson and Palmer in the same team (baffling that Johnson tried that at the end!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yet Johnson brings him on and plays him left wing, you'd think out of all the sub performances he would come on and make even a little impact.

It seems everytime he comes on he consistently gives the ball away and fouls and runs into trouble.

His confidence is absolutely shot imo, when hes on it he can be a real player but I really just dont see signs of that coming any time soon.

Same as COD, both can be real assets for us, but in this style of negative play and trying to survive in games and pinch goals, it isnt going to work for them.