IGNORED

Players more responsible than LJ

Eddie Notgetinya

Yet these players keep playing ? are they responsible for being selected? One example is O’Dowda what has he actually done to get 106 appearances for us? 

Some weren’t up for it today like Brownhill and Weimann but I know that is closer to a one off than a trend. It was the same with Paterson. Same with Pack. Same with Diedhiou to an extent but he has had 4-5 good games in a row for me. Players continue to play after a run of 5-6-7 performances of 5 or 6 out of 10. But O’Dowda, Smith and Brownhill are mates so they were selected today(LJs words pregame). 

46 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Paid thousands of pounds per week and can’t retain the ball to save their lives - that shouldn't need coaching at professional level. 

We are utterly dreadful at retaining possession when trying to go forward, and it's a large part of why we're not good to watch.

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yet these players keep playing ? are they responsible for being selected? One example is O’Dowda what has he actually done to get 106 appearances for us? 

Some weren’t up for it today like Brownhill and Weimann but I know that is closer to a one off than a trend. It was the same with Paterson. Same with Pack. Same with Diedhiou to an extent but he has had 4-5 good games in a row for me. Players continue to play after a run of 5-6-7 performances of 5 or 6 out of 10. But O’Dowda, Smith and Brownhill are mates so they were selected today(LJs words pregame). 

Brownhill has been poor all season bar a few games for me. It seems like his head maybe turned. Diedhiou played well considering the service he got. O’Dowda completely agree with

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Never understood this 'blame the players' argument. LJ picks them, buys them, trains them. It's down to LJ.

Yes but by that logic, SL picks LJ so it’s his fault. Of course that’s where the buck ultimately stops, but at a more relevant level to today’s performance I think it’s fair to call out some of the players. 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think they are well motivated. Just given wrong instructions, wrong tactics. I don't see a lack of effort.

Any professional should be able to look after the ball and give it to a player wearing the same colour though surely? Giving it away time and time again when the passes aren’t even hard to make is unacceptable 

24 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Yes but by that logic, SL picks LJ so it’s his fault. Of course that’s where the buck ultimately stops, but at a more relevant level to today’s performance I think it’s fair to call out some of the players. 

And that's true. If LJ can't get us playing better then SL may at some point have to consider getting in someone who he feels can do better. It's like if players aren't good enough then LJ shouldn't be playing them. 

25 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Any professional should be able to look after the ball and give it to a player wearing the same colour though surely? Giving it away time and time again when the passes aren’t even hard to make is unacceptable 

We've seen us look after the ball and pass it well in games in the past. So therefore I see it as a problem with team selection and tactics rather than players being incapable of looking after ball. But then any players that can't look after ball shouldn't be in the side. 

LJ gets credit from me when it goes well, but also gets blame when it goes badly. He is the one that picks the team.

37 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Brownhill has been poor all season bar a few games for me. It seems like his head maybe turned. Diedhiou played well considering the service he got. O’Dowda completely agree with

For me Brownhill has never played his natural position with us as a box to box midfielder in a 3. He is always asked to be more of the holding midfielder or on the right. 

Diedhiou and Weimann have had no service for ages and have done well with scraps really. Both doing their part to get us up the pitch

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

And that's true. If LJ can't get us playing better then SL may at some point have to consider getting in someone who he feels can do better. It's like if players aren't good enough then LJ shouldn't be playing them. 

We've seen us look after the ball and pass it well in games in the past. So therefore I see it as a problem with team selection and tactics rather than players being incapable of looking after ball. But then any players that can't look after ball shouldn't be in the side. 

LJ gets credit from me when it goes well, but also gets blame when it goes badly. He is the one that picks the team.

How far back do we want to go? We've averaged <50% this season, so clearly not now!

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

LJ can always drop the ones you blame. Plenty of players in our squad.

Which will lead to tombola references. They are adults but it seems they need take no responsibility for their performance, nor do they need to be self motivated.

I wonder if I can persuade my boss that if I perform badly it's nothing to do with me, it's all his fault, and that he should spend his working hours motivating me because I am incapable of motivating myself?

Nice work if you can get it!

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How far back do we want to go? We've averaged <50% this season, so clearly not now!

Well in games like today where LJ sets us up to defend and try to keep a clean sheet, we aren't going to pass it well.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Which will lead to tombola references. They are adults but it seems they need take no responsibility for their performance, nor do they need to be self motivated.

I wonder if I can persuade my boss that if I perform badly it's nothing to do with me, it's all his fault, and that he should spend his working hours motivating me because I am incapable of motivating myself?

If they aren't good enough then maybe LJ shouldn't have signed them.

To me it's tactical. I bet if he picks a different system and has a more positive attitude to todays game rather than setting us up to get 0-0 then we keep the ball better.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think this could become a recurring theme in football tbh, at decent and well paid levels.

Not making any excuses for LJ here but...

1. Player is paid a nice wage- more than most fans I dare say.
  2. Has a nice lifestyle.
  3. In this instance and various places at least, has quite a nice city and though they probably live in the sticks, rurality all in the vicinity- it's a fairly nice bit of the world basically.
  4. Near Christmas- do we want to risk injury
  5. Paid regardless.

Not easy is it- what motivational tools does a manager use?

Not saying they've downed tools but isn't easy.

2 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Paid thousands of pounds per week and can’t retain the ball to save their lives - that shouldn't need coaching at professional level. 

That's the difference between responsibility and accountability......they may be responsible for the losses....but LJ is accountable for them! 

4 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

That's the difference between responsibility and accountability......they may be responsible for the losses....but LJ is accountable for them! 

Agreed, but the argument seems to be being made that players have no responsibility at all and if they fail to apply their basic skills on the pitch it's all down to the manager.

Whatever the club and whoever the manager is I find it increasingly irksome how little responsibility the modern player takes and how often fans seem to accept and encourage that.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If they aren't good enough then maybe LJ shouldn't have signed them.

To me it's tactical. I bet if he picks a different system and has a more positive attitude to todays game rather than setting us up to get 0-0 then we keep the ball better.

Unless you are arguing that, for instance, none of the players concerned is capable of better, your first sentence doesn't apply.

Good players can have bad games. When they do maybe they should man up and take some responsibility?

What a team needs most when they've lost 3 on the bounce is SUPPORT. Not us so called fans getting on their backs. It is even more shameful that the same two players names are being singled out for criticism. If I were able to, I would've gone into that dressing room at Hillsborough and given a motivational speech after the defeat today. I would've put a metaphorical arm around all the players and told them that we are a team and that we will win, lose or draw as a team and that everyone has to take plaudits and brickbats alike.

I would then add, that that having been said O'Dowda and Brownhill you were f*****g sh**e today!

Archived