IGNORED

Players more responsible than LJ

Eddie Notgetinya

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Agreed, but the argument seems to be being made that players have no responsibility at all and if they fail to apply their basic skills on the pitch it's all down to the manager.

Whatever the club and whoever the manager is I find it increasingly irksome how little responsibility the modern player takes and how often fans seem to accept and encourage that.

Bang on. Scream for managers to be sacked whilst the players get off scot-free.

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

What is the point of this post, or is it just another waste of time

Probably to add a bit of perspective to the LJ out comments on here.

I think the OP is spot on. The players need to take responsibility for their performances on the pitch at the moment. 

We've seen this group have ability and skill but right now some of them are getting the basics wrong. It's as if they've never played football before.

I think the point is that of course players have responsibility for their performances, but if those poor performances have become a pattern then it is the managers responsibility to manage/change the pattern. 

After a couple of years of seeing poor or at least uninspiring performances, (despite sometimes having good periods of results) regardless of personnel it’s not unfair to be questioning whether the manager is able to get the best out of his players. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Which will lead to tombola references. They are adults but it seems they need take no responsibility for their performance, nor do they need to be self motivated.

I wonder if I can persuade my boss that if I perform badly it's nothing to do with me, it's all his fault, and that he should spend his working hours motivating me because I am incapable of motivating myself?

Nice work if you can get it!

Of course, you could ask the question... Why are there SO MANY under performing at the same time? We are making changes (4 today, was it?) most games, and still the majority are off-form. A bit weird if it's not tactically related.

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Bang on. Scream for managers to be sacked whilst the players get off scot-free.

To be clear - I wasn't calling for Johnson to be sacked - merely pointing out that we live in a blame culture - and that there is a difference between responsibility and accountability. 

22 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

To be clear - I wasn't calling for Johnson to be sacked - merely pointing out that we live in a blame culture - and that there is a difference between responsibility and accountability. 

Oh of course, LJ will carry the can because that's what happens. It's just frustrating that so many fans, not just at City, never look beyond the manager when things go wrong.

5 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Paid thousands of pounds per week and can’t retain the ball to save their lives - that shouldn't need coaching at professional level. 

That's the norm for our players. It's by no means an anomoly. Just watch almost any game on catchup. We simply don't keep the ball. 

I know of no team in this division worse than us at retaining possession. 

Either they're not as good as LJ thinks they are, or his coaching and direction is leaving them robbed of the freedom to play as they want, completely bound by strict instruction on what to do and when. 

They seem scared. 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yet these players keep playing ? are they responsible for being selected? One example is O’Dowda what has he actually done to get 106 appearances for us? 

Some weren’t up for it today like Brownhill and Weimann but I know that is closer to a one off than a trend. It was the same with Paterson. Same with Pack. Same with Diedhiou to an extent but he has had 4-5 good games in a row for me. Players continue to play after a run of 5-6-7 performances of 5 or 6 out of 10. But O’Dowda, Smith and Brownhill are mates so they were selected today(LJs words pregame). 

Re Weimann, no idea if he was or wasn’t up for it.  He wasn’t at Charlton Farm on Tuesday as he was ill (flu-type bug), so might’ve been suffering from that.  If so, shouldn’t have played.

Thats not the point of my post.  It’s more LJ and MA keep suggesting they need two strikers.  What does that do to the confidence of your top-scorer?  Especially when you contradict that with the fact that Weimann must always play.

cant help can it?

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Usually agree with you fella...but most of our goals conceded have resulted from individual error...not down to wrong instructions.

If the opposition didn't have the ball in the first place - because we haven't lost the ball for the 50th time - maybe the opposition would have less time to draw mistakes from us. 

Archived