IGNORED

LJ My squad is to big!

REDOXO

39 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Totally sensible if he uses him. Rodri will be leaving the club in 3 weeks, odd choice having him on the bench over Szmodics. Adelukan gotta be one of the biggest waste of time signings in recent memory, still has 2 years left on his deal too I think 

Surely you don't expect every signing to be a success? Adelakun seemed to be a signing worth making at the time considering he was out of contract. Many clubs were chasing him. He has all the attributes it seems on the ball, so the potential is there.

The last 3 windows have been fantastic. Many incredible signings. We will always make the odd one that doesn't work out, but as long as they're very cheap mistakes then surely we can accept those. 

Szmodics way well still end up a success. Leeds came in for him last minute. Huddersfield and Hull apparently interested in a loan for him. He must be a decent player for those clubs to be after him.

Rodri? Well we were desperate. Maybe you could say we might as well have not bothered with that one. Though he did help win us the Charlton game, he was fantastic in that one game.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I really think we have a few we will struggle to shift.

Unless we're creative with it, that is- part payment of wages, or loan fee and cover some wages, or maybe I dunno going out and actively offering fringe players to clubs, loan with option to buy etc.

Without that, I worry about the squad size a bit. Certainly when it comes to bringing in one, or at max, two more.

Our squad us even bigger when you think that Morrell, Walsh, O’Leary, Vyner, Paterson, Taylor are all out on loan.  Tinnion does a great job with the 18,19, 20 year olds, but I think we need to start seriously considering the model for the older ones.  Ok, Taylor’s transfer deal scuppered late on, so loan, but what is the plan for the first 4?

O’Leary - to be deputy for Bentley next season - I’m ok with that

Morrell - no idea

Walsh - out of contract in summer, but no idea

Vyner - no idea

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely you don't expect every signing to be a success? Adelakun seemed to be a signing worth making at the time considering he was out of contract. Many clubs were chasing him. He has all the attributes it seems on the ball, so the potential is there.

The last 3 windows have been fantastic. Many incredible signings. We will always make the odd one that doesn't work out, but as long as they're very cheap mistakes then surely we can accept those. 

Szmodics way well still end up a success. Leeds came in for him last minute. Huddersfield and Hull apparently interested in a loan for him. He must be a decent player for those clubs to be after him.

Rodri? Well we were desperate. Maybe you could say we might as well have not bothered with that one. Though he did help win us the Charlton game, he was fantastic in that one game.

I dont expect that, far from it, but I do think our squad is extremely bloated with signings we didn’t really need & players that aren’t good enough or for whatever reason now aren’t favoured.

Szomodics to have no game time is a very odd one. To sign him and Palmer together, especially with Paterson still here, was odd. 3 players that don’t fit a formation we are favouring. 

I guess I’m saying I see it as more of a quantity over quality thing with signings at the moment. We have an insane amount of CBs and CMs, yet some still think we need yet another central midfielder. 

I don’t get how the club can now see that we are too bloated with players and need to shift some out before any more can come in or ‘trade’. Surely this would’ve been taken into account when signing players?

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our squad us even bigger when you think that Morrell, Walsh, O’Leary, Vyner, Paterson, Taylor are all out on loan.  Tinnion does a great job with the 18,19, 20 year olds, but I think we need to start seriously considering the model for the older ones.  Ok, Taylor’s transfer deal scuppered late on, so loan, but what is the plan for the first 4?

O’Leary - to be deputy for Bentley next season - I’m ok with that

Morrell - no idea

Walsh - out of contract in summer, but no idea

Vyner - no idea

Personally I'd keep all 4 of the young loanees.  If nothing else there is value in the market and tbh see them as useful to have in the squad, good enough to compete.

Don't think we'll see the best of them, or the squad in general as it goes unless he changes his mindset.

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Clearly. But let's not pretend that that game very nearly ended up being another Barnsley balls up. 

Bit of an overstatement. 

Their "blatant pen" was their striker making contact after O'Dowda pulled out of a challenge.

Other than that there was 1 shot that went close.

My worry is that in 50 plus years of supporting City there has always been a core of 4-5 players I’d have been gutted to lose in any sell-off/culling exercise.

Presently, only Bentley and, possibly, Taylor Moore would fall into a ‘must keep’ category. 

For the time that LJ has spent with us that is truly appalling.

On 03/07/2018 at 17:22, Nomad said:

For me the squad became quite bloated (esp after the Jan window) so integration could have been a major issue, not because of any clique but just sheer numbers - you can't be mates with everyone.

The squad was getting bloated back in July 18 (see above). God knows why LJ has been allowed to bring in so many more since. Trouble is that off loading the bloat is a lot harder than adding it (bit like the bloat around my midriff).

It is pretty clear to most on OTIB that Johnson has not got a scooby doo ref team selection and tactics wise. The “cosmic” comment just sums him up. He is on another planet! The actual squad is actually a pretty good one IMO. Just a few too many pointless signings which many have already mentioned (the long list) on here.

I would like to see what an experienced tactically adept coach could do with this squad. Yes we need a front man with goals (how many shots on target have we had in recent games?) but so do most teams in the Championship. A good manager/coach is one that mentors young talent, not throws them under the bus. Time for change.

But it will never happen - more ZZZZZs at Luton home game. Wake me up if you are sat next to me....

LJ's squads have always been bloated ever since he's been here.  Maybe he's finally realised he needs to focus on picking out the quality that he truly believes in and trusting the rest of the squad spots to youth. 

The likes of Walsh, Morrell and Vyner shouldn't be out on loan at the moment imo.  It's not like they're teenagers, they're 22.

Archived