IGNORED

Sick on a page

ohhhshauntaylor

Below is some form of thoughts on LJ and our squad and transfers. 
where do we go next? 

I’ll start by saying I’m by no means a LJ out guy, nor is this an LJ our post.... BUT 

How much longer can he expect to be supported with transfers etc. 

The “identity” he talks about and has done through his tenure isn’t visible- what is it? We don’t have a settled formation, he talked about the need for 3 windows to get his squad where he wanted it- he’s had 6 now-with the 7th you’d hope already planned out-  looking at differing options. 

We had the “young and to be developed type” that only really brownhill has come out of- maybe Moore also given this seasons form  

The initial international recruitment drive saw us get Hegelar and Djuric- both failed. 
And less we forget Giefer also  

We then went British- and championship proven- Hunt, Weimann, etc. 

Then this summer we saw departures of the likes of Pack and Webster, replaced with the youth of Massengo, and the midfielder he apparently so craves- Nagy. 

5 months in and it’s clear that Nagy looks more like a Hegeler type player who is not up to the pace and physicality of this league, or the speed of the game- injuries haven’t helped but his cameos after Birmingham and home to QPR seem like a distant memory, the injury situation didn’t help, but apart from Huddersfield where we blues them away, he’s looked lost, slow, and like a shorter version of Hegeler IMO  

Szmodics and Palmer are 2 players who don’t seem to get any form of a run in the team- when we cry out for creativity. 

szmodics was a focus point of our ore season, he’s had 1 random start upfront, and 3 cameo appearances from the bench, yet again today he’s at home  

So who next in January? 

A striker is clearly wanted- but it’s apparent that Afobe was low down the list- so who do we need, and does LJ know what he wants as his ideal 11? 

so what’s the next plan- we have Palmer who is there to “unlock the door” but needs player ahead of him to aid that- it’s clear now that’s not Weimann and Fam in a 2, Semenyo is no where near ready and clearly not trusted. 

today for me summed up LJ- it’s over complicated, he has too many clubs in his bag to coin his phrases. 

I think you're harsh on some of the signings. 

Hegeler in a central 3, or possibly more often as part of a back 3, could've been not bad IMO. Injuries of course another big factor here but technically he was decent. 

Djuric a useful Plan B, could've got on the end of Eliasson's deliveries quite well...once again, injuries played a role.

Nagy in a central 3, again feel it'd improve him (and the team for that matter). 

I don't think Palmer and Weimann gave had a proper chance as a combination, ie Palmer free role behind Weimann.

Certainly seems a lot better (on paper)  than Palmer-Diedhiou. Would've thought Palmer could create in a freeish role and pick the early runs that Weimann can make.

The reality is that without Eliasson we seem to have little attacking intent. Palmer & Weimann looks like it should work but by all accounts was woeful at WBA. Doesn’t help that Palmer’s confidence seems to have gone.

There are plenty of decent players at the club now but the longer this season has gone on, the more I get the impression that LJ doesn’t know how to build them into a team. We have no consistency.

LJ has been with us for 4 years. We have improved in that time in that we are no longer relegation battlers, but we remain very brittle ,and realistically promotion seems as far away as ever, as we won’t make the top 2, and even if we made the playoffs our record is so bad, we would never win them.

We have many little technical players, but don't set up in a way to pass the ball. We can keep bringing in more players, but unless they are set up correctly then it's pointless.

I know we still have two key men- DaSilva and Afobe- injured but I would try this at Charlton on Boxing Day...

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Moore Rowe

Nagy Smith/Massengo

Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Weimann

OR failing that, how about- and it may seem a bit negative on the right:, granted

Pereira Kalas Moore Rowe

Nagy Smith/Massengo

Hunt Brownhill Eliasson

Weimann

Hunt and Pereira can combine both defensively and offensively, Eliasson on the left can do his thing, but also drift inside. Brownhill central yet higher can both support and link with Weimann, but can also funnel back to help a three.

Hunt pushed higher can also unleash him a bit more offensively, Pereira while technically decent can be quite conservative too, in phases. I do wonder about Brownhill behind Weimann- central, check, higher check, goal threat, check- yet ability to filter into a CM three also more easy than with Palmer or Paterson there!

I think that we could have the Liverpool squad and LJ ruin them.

In recent times are style is typified by

a) Lack of passion

b) Lack of movement when we have possession

c) Lack of organisation where LJ makes changes every week not only to personnel but also to the system

d) Lack of any creation with constant slow sideways passing

e) No plan B

f) No excitement

g) inability to compete physically because our midfield are all midgets and we get out muscled. (We are really missing the strength and heading ability Pack)

All of these points are directly attributable to LJ and the board. They put this squad together.

The squad is imbalanced, it is clear that they are not playing for LJ. Our position in the table is false because we have won whilst not playing well or developing any sort of way to breakdown good defences.

In recent times we see very few clubs (even the conservative ones) keep a manager for longer than 4 years unless the results and progress are great. Things get stale, players lose belief and motivation and fans get tired of the same old story.

I think that LJ has done a good job under difficult circumstances but has run out of ideas and inspiration.

Too many very good players are performing well below par. This can only be because they are not motivated, don't understand the tactics and or have lost confidence because we survive by not doing anything wrong.

I think it is wrong of the club to say that promotion is our goal because our actions simply don't back this up.

I think many fans will buy season tickets no matter what whether we are winning or losing BUT I think the current totally boring passionless home displays we have seen this season will drive fans away. It is just too boring

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know we still have two key men- DaSilva and Afobe- injured but I would try this at Charlton on Boxing Day...

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Moore Rowe

Nagy Smith/Massengo

Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Weimann

OR failing that, how about- and it may seem a bit negative on the right:, granted

Pereira Kalas Moore Rowe

Nagy Smith/Massengo

Hunt Brownhill Eliasson

Weimann

Hunt and Pereira can combine both defensively and offensively, Eliasson on the left can do his thing, but also drift inside. Brownhill central yet higher can both support and link with Weimann, but can also funnel back to help a three.

Hunt pushed higher can also unleash him a bit more offensively, Pereira while technically decent can be quite conservative too, in phases. I do wonder about Brownhill behind Weimann- central, check, higher check, goal threat, check- yet ability to filter into a CM three also more easy than with Palmer or Paterson there!

Mate youve just lrft out one of the leaders at the back in williams and weinmann only chases shadows big Dave is the only one that looks like scoring when we do attack?

19 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Mate youve just lrft out one of the leaders at the back in williams and weinmann only chases shadows big Dave is the only one that looks like scoring when we do attack?

In fairness, I'm possibly thinking in the medium to long term with a Kalas and Moore partnership. Age of that pair can help with a higher line in due course IMO. Williams for Moore or for Kalas?

I like Diedhiou but from a technical standpoint, think Weimann a more natural fit. With players such as Palmer and in some ways, Eliasson (he also has assisted Diedhiou, notably Reading at home) hopefully able to be on the wavelength of Weimann in terms of the runs he makes.

Just would be interested to see if Weimann as lone striker,  I say lone striker but with the close technically capable support could take us to a new level.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness, I'm possibly thinking in the medium to long term with a Kalas and Moore partnership. Age of that pair can help with a higher line in due course IMO. Williams for Moore or for Kalas?

I like Diedhiou but from a technical standpoint, think Weimann a more natural fit. With players such as Palmer and in some ways, Eliasson (he also has assisted Diedhiou, notably Reading at home) hopefully able to be on the wavelength of Weimann in terms of the runs he makes.

Just would be interested to see if Weimann as lone striker,  I say lone striker but with the close technically capable support could take us to a new level.

Yes fair comment weinmann being played too wide fammy is needing someone closer to him to take the weight off him as some of stated hes not got a great first touch.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can’t see what harm giving Palmer and weimann some games together as they linked up at start season with afobe playing maybe they can find that spark that had 

granted was poor against wba 

6 hours ago, Highguy said:

Can’t see what harm giving Palmer and weimann some games together as they linked up at start season with afobe playing maybe they can find that spark that had 

granted was poor against wba 

They got 45 mins away to the best team in the league, with Bailey Wright and COD in defensive roles....... so they deserve a decent run I agree! 

The quality of the squad has definately improved over his tenure, the main issue I think most have is that the quality of football at AG has been very poor for about 18 months to 2 years now and despite the personnel and formation changing considerably over that time the same issue persists. It's difficult to say what we are as a team when playing at home,

Are we overly negative? No.

Are we overly positive? No.

Are we possesion based? No

Are we long-ball / direct? No

Do we try and get in behind teams? No.

What is the plan? What are our strengths? What are we actually trying to do?

We seem to pick up points purely by the quality of players which by  law of averages will score goals / make something happen on their own enough to make sure we aren't ever in any sort of trouble rather than by being set-up tactically to score goals in a certain manner.

This isn't a crisis by any stretch and we won't be in any danger of relegation but until LJ solves some of these riddles he is going to find himself under increasing pressure.

47 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

The quality of the squad has definately improved over his tenure, the main issue I think most have is that the quality of football at AG has been very poor for about 18 months to 2 years now and despite the personnel and formation changing considerably over that time the same issue persists. It's difficult to say what we are as a team when playing at home,

Are we overly negative? No.

Are we overly positive? No.

Are we possesion based? No

Are we long-ball / direct? No

Do we try and get in behind teams? No.

What is the plan? What are our strengths? What are we actually trying to do?

We seem to pick up points purely by the quality of players which by  law of averages will score goals / make something happen on their own enough to make sure we aren't ever in any sort of trouble rather than by being set-up tactically to score goals in a certain manner.

This isn't a crisis by any stretch and we won't be in any danger of relegation but until LJ solves some of these riddles he is going to find himself under increasing pressure.

Dunno about 2 years, probably more like early last season IMO.

However, agree with a lot of your points. Definitely we like a defining common thread, an identity.

Cohesion and fluency just isn't there.

Archived