IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday...yes a BIG club, but not a great club?

Mr Popodopolous

I'm not talking about size here, clearly they've got a history.

In the past on here, there has been a bit of a Sheffield Wednesday love in almost. Pretty favourable anyway.

Can't say I've ever shared it. My antipathy has only grown lately.

ON the pitch, very soft penalty. Went down a few times softly as well. 

Fans seem an arrogant, entitled bunch. 

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/286413-the-penalty-is-an-absolute-nonsense/

Possibly reflective of their club too? 

Plus of course FFP pushing, accounts delaying, (possible) ground inflating, questionable company creating,  EFL legal action threatening antics in recent times!

Decent sized club but what's so great about them? To me, they are approaching Aston Villa of last season type status. 

Don't get the past praise etc for them.

Fair point, big club certainly. Decent to big, probably big for sure.

Jusr find them quite odious- well odious a bit strong, but quite dislikable IMO. Just remember a couple of years ago there was a bit of a love in on here. 

Suppose was wondering if people still think the same. Owlstalk certainly seems a rather arrogant reflection.

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In the past on here, there has been a bit of a Sheffield Wednesday love in almost. Pretty favourable anyway.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/286413-the-penalty-is-an-absolute-nonsense/

Plus of course FFP pushing, accounts delaying, (possible) ground inflating, questionable company creating,  EFL legal action threatening antics in recent times!

Decent sized club but what's so great about them? To me, they are approaching Aston Villa of last season type status. 

Cowl on page one could be speaking for a lot of posters on here, and that's from someone who has no axe to grind.

I recall going there about 1990 and they had to win to either go up or win the leauge.

City took a coach and a half up there and the away end was full of wednesday.

There was about 40000 there that night.

Been in decline for years now, but if they picked up they would fill that ground easy.

They were 1 of the best supported teams in the land in those days, without a doubt.

The most bizarre thing about this thread is someone deciding they have a balanced view of an entire club based on a few posts on an Internet forum

most people also take a view based on personal experiences and there will always be 1 or 2 ********* who give a bad impression which can turn in to overall hatred for that club

Obviously I’m biased but there is no seance of entitlement at Hillsborough.....I’ve been watching since 1970.....in that time we slid down the the bottom edge of the 3rd tier......climbed back up very slowly to the top in the early 80’s.....were decided European entry by Liverpool’s antics.....won our only trophy in my lifetime (and still the last team outside the top tier to do that) before a massive fall to the 3rd tier again including being personally sued for libel by our chairman....on the edge of going under....winning play off final including taking 40,000 to Cardiff for the final ....losing play off finals and semi finals and all the usual trials and tribulations that most clubs go though.

we have a joke amongst ourselves that we are “massive”....we know it winds other fans up when we say it and when you know that you make hay don’t you.......and through all these trials and tribulations we’ve maintained an astonishing support especially away......having said that a fair proportion of that away ‘support’ are coke heads and dick heads and I’d rather we took half as many

15 minutes ago, Ian66 said:

The most bizarre thing about this thread is someone deciding they have a balanced view of an entire club based on a few posts on an Internet forum

most people also take a view based on personal experiences and there will always be 1 or 2 ********* who give a bad impression which can turn in to overall hatred for that club

Obviously I’m biased but there is no seance of entitlement at Hillsborough.....I’ve been watching since 1970.....in that time we slid down the the bottom edge of the 3rd tier......climbed back up very slowly to the top in the early 80’s.....were decided European entry by Liverpool’s antics.....won our only trophy in my lifetime (and still the last team outside the top tier to do that) before a massive fall to the 3rd tier again including being personally sued for libel by our chairman....on the edge of going under....winning play off final including taking 40,000 to Cardiff for the final ....losing play off finals and semi finals and all the usual trials and tribulations that most clubs go though.

we have a joke amongst ourselves that we are “massive”....we know it winds other fans up when we say it and when you know that you make hay don’t you.......and through all these trials and tribulations we’ve maintained an astonishing support especially away......having said that a fair proportion of that away ‘support’ are coke heads and dick heads and I’d rather we took half as many

Take no notice owl, always found you to be a good bunch, what has happened to your crowds though over the years, you were always much better supported than your neighbours 

On 22/12/2019 at 23:40, Mr Popodopolous said:

I read some of the posts on here and I think...'arrogant and entitled'... that's how it comes across.

Toys thrown out pram...' why can't we be like Sheffield Utd and Norwich...blah blah blah'...?

It's wrong to criticise Nuhiu if you're not going to say the same thing about Diedhiou, Eliasson and several others in our team.

Players go down "easy" all the time, in all teams, it's the modern game.

TBH  the only team I've been a bit pissed off with in recent weeks is Blackburn. I thought they were a proper cynical lot.

On 22/12/2019 at 23:40, Mr Popodopolous said:

No different to us when we go down to league one. We think we’re far too big for that level. I’m sure most clubs at that level hate us as we come across as entitled to at a higher level. 
All football clubs / fans are the same in this regard. Don’t think that we’re any special, especially when you read people demanding that we go out and signs top end striker etc to enable us to get to where we belong.

Ive always thought of Sheffield wednesday as a huge club and their history certainly says that we are not even compatible to them. 
we’ve spent most of our history floating between the middle 2 divisions and they’ve spent most of their time in the top flight. That is where their sense of entitlement comes from, and I’d have to say I agree

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Take no notice owl, always found you to be a good bunch, what has happened to your crowds though over the years, you were always much better supported than your neighbours 

That’s an interesting comment....why do you think anything has happened to our crowds?.....basically whilst I’d love to claim that we are the better supported club, it’s probably about even and crowds will reflect what’s happening on the pitch....as a big Uni City there are lots of neutral on the day supporters and if you’d rocked up this year in Sheffield where would you be most likely to go on a Saturday?

there is also a small matter of prices ....our chairman has taken the view of “I’ll give you a premium product but you’ll be paying premium prices” whereas United have been a lot more creative with student offers and kids season tickets fo a quid with every adult one (which apparently led to big “attendances” and loads of empty seats as people bought a quid one to put their feet on

id still say averaging 22,000 plus with out recent on field performances is not to be sniffed at and nearly every away game sells out 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Regardless of size though, that's not really the point I am/was driving at.

A lot of people really do think " Big is Better" but that's not always the case. in reality size doesn't matter, as long as  use what you've got in the right way!

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I guess I just dislike sharp financial practice and boastful forums haha.

Maybe my OP was a tad harsh, written late at night as it was- they are a big club, clearly, but fair to extrapolate fans views based on a forum? I dunno. 

Regardless of size though, that's not really the point I am/was driving at.

Wasn’t there a case of a £70m + debt that you had a few years ago that “went away” ?

6 minutes ago, Ian66 said:

Wasn’t there a case of a £70m + debt that you had a few years ago that “went away” ?

I'd happily take it to the Championship FFP or SWFC Charged thread tbh. 

Your club just seems entitled- perhaps social media amplifies, looking at Twitter another interesting case study. Chansiri definitely does! Companies that aren't trading paying sponsorship[ is a laugh, DRC of £22.25m to a sale price of £ 60m is another, delaying accounts yet another and threatening to sue the EFL...well I've got strong views on that one!

Reading your forum though, quite happy to pull out what I see as the arrogant posts in general- FFP aside.

To add, Sheffield Wednesday fans who visit here are pretty balanced IMO, and certainly you are no exception.

On 23/12/2019 at 00:37, Natchfever said:

Wednesday biggest club in Sheffield 

It's fairly even. But I would say since the turn of the century United have done more than Wednesday. Even if they spent many years in L1, they still won most the derbies, finished higher than them most of 00s and have had stints in the Prem.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd happily take it to the Championship FFP or SWFC Charged thread tbh. 

Your club just seems entitled- perhaps social media amplifies, looking at Twitter another interesting case study. Chansiri definitely does! Companies that aren't trading paying sponsorship[ is a laugh, DRC of £22.25m to a sale price of £ 60m is another, delaying accounts yet another and threatening to sue the EFL...well I've got strong views on that one!

Reading your forum though, quite happy to pull out what I see as the arrogant posts in general- FFP aside.

To add, Sheffield Wednesday fans who visit here are pretty balanced IMO, and certainly you are no exception.

You’ve written a lot there whilst still managing to avoid answering my question?

43 minutes ago, Ian66 said:

You’ve written a lot there whilst still managing to avoid answering my question?

Firstly, debt write offs don't count as income under FFP. So that £70m (what time span BTW, was it £70m in one hit or over multiple seasons) is or could be a bit of a red herring.

FFP isn't measured on debt though, as you surely know. If it was then a great many sides would fail, including us. Have you appraised yourself of the FFP regs? All on the EFL website!

What that write off would save us though, potentially, is/was interest payments. There is no obligation to pay the debt except on demand..certainly to SL. How many Championship clubs in the same boat though? The bulk!

Your owner though has a gross sense of entitlement, based on his actions. 

Him aside though, your fans don't seem to believe you need to stick within the limits. Is it because you're a big club? 'Rules are for the little people to abide by, the' small' clubs.'

Is D-Taxis a real company? What about Chansiri? Elev8 tbh seems to be one. 

If your club don't like it, why not **** off to the Conference North or below? :sub:

Archived