IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday...yes a BIG club, but not a great club?

Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Ian66 said:

That’s an interesting comment....why do you think anything has happened to our crowds?.....basically whilst I’d love to claim that we are the better supported club, it’s probably about even and crowds will reflect what’s happening on the pitch....as a big Uni City there are lots of neutral on the day supporters and if you’d rocked up this year in Sheffield where would you be most likely to go on a Saturday?

there is also a small matter of prices ....our chairman has taken the view of “I’ll give you a premium product but you’ll be paying premium prices” whereas United have been a lot more creative with student offers and kids season tickets fo a quid with every adult one (which apparently led to big “attendances” and loads of empty seats as people bought a quid one to put their feet on

id still say averaging 22,000 plus with out recent on field performances is not to be sniffed at and nearly every away game sells out 

Always had great away support, I thought historically you always had much better support than Utd, I thought you were closer to 30,000 than 20,000 average in the past, got to agree your prices must put many off

1 hour ago, Ian66 said:

Id still say averaging 22,000 plus with our recent on field performances is not to be sniffed at and nearly every away game sells out 

Thought you would be averaging higher at home based on historical attendances but yeah we have a long way to go before we match your away attendances. Not even sure a spell in the prem would increase ours that much.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Firstly, debt write offs don't count as income under FFP. So that £70m (what time span BTW, was it £70m in one hit or over multiple seasons) is or could be a bit of a red herring.

FFP isn't measured on debt though, as you surely know. If it was then a great many sides would fail, including us. Have you appraised yourself of the FFP regs? All on the EFL website!

What that write off would save us though, potentially, is/was interest payments. There is no obligation to pay the debt except on demand..certainly to SL. How many Championship clubs in the same boat though? The bulk!

Your owner though has a gross sense of entitlement, based on his actions. 

Him aside though, your fans don't seem to believe you need to stick within the limits. Is it because you're a big club? 'Rules are for the little people to abide by, the' small' clubs.'

Is D-Taxis a real company? What about Chansiri? Elev8 tbh seems to be one. 

If your club don't like it, why not **** off to the Conference North or below? :sub:

Wow.....what planet are you on.....perhaps we should have gone bust and left loads of small local businesses, St Johns ambulance etc up shit creek.......then perhaps we could have taken the moral high ground like you seem to be doing....and yes, our chairman does think we shouldn’t have to stick to the rules.....because they are clearly rigged in favour of the relegated clubs and many others have ignored them in the past without punishment.....Bournemouth, Villa and Wolves to name but 3

as for your last statement....your chairman would shit his pants if we were to exit the championship as you suggest.....not only would your gate receipts take a big hit, what makes you think TV revenues would be anywhere near where they are now if the championship games were Barnsley v Burton every week?

4 hours ago, Ian66 said:

The most bizarre thing about this thread is someone deciding they have a balanced view of an entire club based on a few posts on an Internet forum

most people also take a view based on personal experiences and there will always be 1 or 2 ********* who give a bad impression which can turn in to overall hatred for that club

Obviously I’m biased but there is no seance of entitlement at Hillsborough.....I’ve been watching since 1970.....in that time we slid down the the bottom edge of the 3rd tier......climbed back up very slowly to the top in the early 80’s.....were decided European entry by Liverpool’s antics.....won our only trophy in my lifetime (and still the last team outside the top tier to do that) before a massive fall to the 3rd tier again including being personally sued for libel by our chairman....on the edge of going under....winning play off final including taking 40,000 to Cardiff for the final ....losing play off finals and semi finals and all the usual trials and tribulations that most clubs go though.

we have a joke amongst ourselves that we are “massive”....we know it winds other fans up when we say it and when you know that you make hay don’t you.......and through all these trials and tribulations we’ve maintained an astonishing support especially away......having said that a fair proportion of that away ‘support’ are coke heads and dick heads and I’d rather we took half as many

Agree 66, supported Wednesday as we moved north with dads job in 1965. Went to Wembley in 66. Obviously I am Robins first and Wednesday second but always a bit of my heart is still in the Kop where I stood as a 15 year old. Far superior to the Bramall Lane bunch, tough call in 1965 as had to paint my rattle blue and white !!

10 minutes ago, Ian66 said:

Wow.....what planet are you on.....perhaps we should have gone bust and left loads of small local businesses, St Johns ambulance etc up shit creek.......then perhaps we could have taken the moral high ground like you seem to be doing....and yes, our chairman does think we shouldn’t have to stick to the rules.....because they are clearly rigged in favour of the relegated clubs and many others have ignored them in the past without punishment.....Bournemouth, Villa and Wolves to name but 3

as for your last statement....your chairman would shit his pants if we were to exit the championship as you suggest.....not only would your gate receipts take a big hit, what makes you think TV revenues would be anywhere near where they are now if the championship games were Barnsley v Burton every week?

Nice deflection of certain aspects.

When I'm home I'll look at the debt writeoff and see how it feeds in. 

Well perhaps I went a little far but I do believe in the strictest punishments possible for FFP breaches. I'm consistent with my view on it.

Clearly bankruptcy, suspension or expulsion isnt the way forward. I've read on varied sites though that in 2010 you got let off some Co-op debt. 

I'd enforce them to the letter unlike Shaun Harvey. I'd have EFL accountants dispute every financial trick or piece of creative accounting- INCLUDING Chansiri, D-taxis and possibly Elev8 sponsorships. What's the trading status of the first 2 and possibly the third.

The points penalties I'm season,  I'd do my damndest to have these enforced. Ground sale and leaseback to a related party would either be banned, excluded from the calculations like with UEFA regs or not allowed until an EFL appointed valuer has done a report with that figure the one used.

If projected accounts showed a breach but player sales in the summer, I'd insist on a paper trail otherwise it would be disputed and a points penalty possible if insufficient proof forthcoming.

Trust me, you and varied other clubs getting off a bit lightly compared to what I'd like to see happen. If I had my way. I'd seek to enforce to the letter, no exceptions, no tricks. I'd demand disclosure to the fullest extent as allowed by the EFL regs. I'd challenge things like ground valuations in these transactions using current and historic evidence and to the fullest extent possible, pin down clubs and demand explanation and justification. 

Most clubs stick to them, make efforts to. Do you think most clubs want to sell who they do?

Wolves didn't breach FFP. If you read the regs in full, read Wolves 3 year account  read Maguire and Swiss Ramble they possibly avoided it by £2-3m. Bournemouth were punished under the old regs, part of the reason new ones came in.

Aston Villa, I'm very disappointed that they didn't get hammered. They were possibly even more egregious than yourselves! Could yet happen. 

On the other hand, Parachute Payment system absolutely needs reforming. Don't like the big loss limit differential either- chairmen such as yours have some good points points.

There needs to be a deterrent to clubs dragging out beyond the end of the season though. One way or another, your fate must be settled by May. Big clubs also stick to the regs. Leeds, and possibly Nottingham Forest to name two. West Brom may also.

Interesting your post though. Deflect, deny, attack. Not once have you debated on the finer points of the regs or the losses to name two.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've a single, hopefully simple genuine question though. No point scoring here. 

IF an independent panel/the EFL found Chansiri guilty and banned him, what would happen then?

I don't think it will happen though but if it did. Financial gameplan? 

You've a weird obsession tbh. And given you've no actual finance background you're opinions are wholly subjective shite. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I pop onto Owlstalk from tIme to time and have posted this thread on there........:shocking:.

Tbf......Owlstalk is just the same as otib with the same kind of posters and similar views. I guess most football club forums are pretty much alike.

Bejesus don’t tell me there’s a equivalent of you on there ?

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IF an independent panel/the EFL found Chansiri guilty and banned him, what would happen then?

Perhaps we’ll just go bankrupt and start up a new club called swfc (2020) in the same division......remind me what punishment you had for doing that?

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Banned him from what?

48 minutes ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

You've a weird obsession tbh. And given you've no actual finance background you're opinions are wholly subjective shite. 

Deflect, deny, attack. 

Perhaps you would care to outline a good counter argument. 

This reinforces the arrogance and entitlement of your club though- by which I mean Chansiri.

Subconsciously possibly, you believe the rules are wrong, rather than your club.

This only hardens my views towards what should happen to your club. 

25 minutes ago, Ian66 said:

Perhaps we’ll just go bankrupt and start up a new club called swfc (2020) in the same division......remind me what punishment you had for doing that?

Banned him from what?

There was paper talk that suggested he could be charged personally too and banned from owning Sheffield Wednesday.

I don't think it'd happen but it could be fascinating to see from a legal and financial angle, an existing owner banned.

Just now, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Mr P, I'm not looking to argue you with on your own board so I will wish you a happy Christmas etc. 

I've proven the lauded Kevin Maguire wrong on twitter as his knowledge is flawed, as is yours. 

Your mate mkowl didn't enter a debate on valuation with my mate on Twitter.

I won't argue on here either, so yeah Merry Christmas etc. 

I look forward to seeing that Twitter exchange. Link? 

10 minutes ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

And still more successful ever than you'll ever be

You can't actually say "ever be' now can you because no one has a clue what the future holds. Pretty generous comments on this thread about Wednesday so don't go all big spuds there's no need. In the context of relevance we are mutually irrelevant until the next game or we are both going for a playoff spot which I don't think we will find ourselves. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

?

I wonder if in the next few years if things become more entrenched we may see a new type of football related trouble...owners rucking with others who they believe have fiddled the system.

The funniest thing about owners rucking is that Steve Gibson is the biggest gobshite complaining about how much we’ve spent......he wasn’t complaining when he took £10million of it off us for Rhodes though

The EFL should say, “you’re right Mr Gibson, they have spent too much, transfer back that £10 million and Jordan Rhodes is your player again”

Are they that much bigger than us? Over the past few years their average attendance isnt that much greater than ours and that can be attributed to their historic successes. 

We all know that if this club had a sniff at any success we could easily sell 40k tickets just like them.

Clubs like Leeds, Villa etc you can say they should be Premier League clubs (yes I know Villa got promoted) I think Sheff Wed fall just outside of that bracket and that's almost the kind of bracket we find ourselves in.

Archived