Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CityCity

Kasey Palmer

Recommended Posts

Can somebody put together a montage of all of Palmers touches yesterday when he came on?

 

Not the easiest of games to come into but this is a regular occurrence. 1 good game in every 5 or 6 appearances and the others are  literally woeful 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's one of those players who needs a consistent run of games to get to optimum fitness and sharpness. Pointless signing, LJ has to many midfield options centrally and doesn't know his best team or tactics.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for Kasey. 
 

we heard last season that he would only be signed IF LJ could have a full pre season with him- this didn’t happen and he was unveiled on the famous roof a few days before we started our season. 
 

After the whole team horror show vs Leeds, he was then praised by LJ at Birmingham for completing 90 minutes, and was instrumental in that game (Afobe debut) and assisted the Rowe goal. 
 

I was at both Derby and Birmingham and he was starting to slot in nicely to the team, but since then it’s been inconsistent run outs, and I think he is a player who needs to be played and given a run in the team. 
 

yesterday, he like many others was poor, but let’s look at where he was initially played- Left of a 3, with COD central- that made no sense to me and with just Fam ahead of him, he was always going to be isolated. 
 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He just doesnt fit into a 'Johnson' team. He needs runners around him and he needs to be used in a team which has more possession, where he can be about 30 yards further up the pitch from where he plays for us currently.

Instead, he ends up on the edge of his own box still trying to force that killer pass.

I feel sorry for him. Yesterday when he came on and tried to slide Fammy in...Fammy just stood still and it looks like an awful pass.

Bizarre signing given the expense.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Until Afobe got injured he was one of our best players.

Is that his epitaph?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring in the right type of striker(s) next month and Kasey will 'feed' them - easier said than done....I know, but the lad is a real talent.

I am certain that had Benik stayed fit we would be praising Kasey not criticising.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmer is a luxury player when we play to his strengths like start of the season he’s a different class but unfortunately we don’t seem to do that anymore since the afobe injury
Palmer seems to be one of them players that’s needs it be loved by the manager and atm he getting no love from LJ so confidence is gone but he still putting himself about each time he’s on the pitch and having extra training sessions on day off to work his way back in the side so can’t knock him for not trying just needs a run of games and a striker to make runs for him to find 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Did you know Palmer’s wife Has a Sister and she is engaged to be married to Derrick Williams 

Why would anyone know that?       :dunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Plenty of excuses for him on here but still no explanation why he can't make a simple 5 yard pass

 He’s one of the best passers in our team Doesn’t help that when he looks up he has no runners or no one wanting the ball maybe

was you saying he can’t make a simple pass after the charlton game? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Plenty of excuses for him on here but still no explanation why he can't make a simple 5 yard pass

To be fair yesterday nor could Brownhill, smith, O’Dowda and about 4 others.

I don’t mind Palmer losing the ball further up the pitch if he’s doing some skill or defence splitting pass to break the lines, as if 1/3 of them come off it’s a great chance for a goal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grifty said:

To be fair yesterday nor could Brownhill, smith, O’Dowda and about 4 others.

I don’t mind Palmer losing the ball further up the pitch if he’s doing some skill or defence splitting pass to break the lines, as if 1/3 of them come off it’s a great chance for a goal.

But the problem is he has to drop Deep to get the ball so he then loses the ball in an area we don’t want him coming and getting it

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Highguy said:

 He’s one of the best passers in our team Doesn’t help that when he looks up he has no runners or no one wanting the ball maybe

was you saying he can’t make a simple pass after the charlton game? 

He is in the team to make great passes which is what he's done about 4 times all season, he was truly awful when he came on yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

He is in the team to make great passes which is what he's done about 4 times all season, he was truly awful when he came on yesterday

The only time we entered their half when Palmer was on he played a through ball that ended up just inside their box and guess what fam is just stood there staring at him and odowda reluctantly chased 25 yards to pressure the cb on the ball
how can you expect him to pass to someone when we don’t have players wanting the ball or making any runs to receive it 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Astounds me how this point is missed by so many fans 

I don't think it's missed, more deliberately ignored because it doesn't suit their argument.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like he could only play with Afobe. Now he is injured the guy seems totally lost.. as a professional footballer you have to be able to adapt your game to be able ‘click’ with more than just one player.. it would suggest to me that Palmer isn’t quite as good as we thought he was to be honest. Not writing the lad off but it does make you wonder.. obviously we need a striker who runs the channels Palmer clearly thrives off playing those passes but as i said he needs to adapt to what we currently have upfront.

Edited by bris red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to change the team to fit him in, which is unusually a huge problem for Lee. We should be playing 4-2-3-1 anyway as that fits our players MUCH better, we’d have Eliasson and Kasey on the pitch without sacrificing anyone to accommodate them. That makes too much sense for Lee though, so it’ll be back to 5-3-2 changing to 8-4-9 at 63 minutes with Maenpaa at LB.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Did you know Palmer’s wife Has a Sister and she is engaged to be married to Derrick Williams 

Rather embarrassingly, I'm going to dispute this. Derrick Williams is going out with a girl from Somerset and her sister is going out with Bobby Reid, neither have anything to do with Kasey Palmer. I haven't done a DNA test but I've got a few mutual friends with the Yeovil girls.

I've also got exclusive rights to the Williams wedding and all shots will be published in Heat Magazine - Bristol City Alumni Special. 

  • Haha 2
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Very strange signing simply doesnt fit with lj's forever revolving line ups , pointless signing never understood it after we singed ss...

It was a bit like under Ward when we wanted Thorpe, but couldn’t get him, so we went Akinbiyi and Anderson, only for Thorpe to become available.  Ward then tried to shoe-horn all 3 in.

I feel sorry for Kasey.  Given limited minutes since Afobe’s injury, and he is struggling (he is a far better player than we are seeing).  We appear to have players incompatible with each other in certain systems.  That is why our squad is bloated....and now why some players aren’t really given fair crack of the whip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what he’s ever actually done to get the praise. Occasional great moments, but way too often he goes missing and has a tendency to give away stupid free kicks. After last season I was amazed that we signed him permanently, he might come good in time, but right now he’s too much of a show pony. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Astounds me how this point is missed by so many fans 

I presume you're suggesting that Palmer should play for the U23s until Afobe is match fit again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Based pre and post contract performances I think we could have another Lee Tomlin on our hands

Money could have been must better spent

Not in the same class as Tomlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Not quite sure what he’s ever actually done to get the praise. Occasional great moments, but way too often he goes missing and has a tendency to give away stupid free kicks. After last season I was amazed that we signed him permanently, he might come good in time, but right now he’s too much of a show pony. 

Maybe because when it gets the ball 9/10 your on edge of your seat as you know something going happen not pass sideways or backwards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Maybe because when it gets the ball 9/10 your on edge of your seat as you know something going happen not pass sideways or backwards 

Somethings going to happen alright,9/10 times he’s giving the ball away

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't read through whole thread but for me the answer to KC Palmer's form is obvious......Benik Adobe's injury. 

Before he was linking up well with Benik and there clearly was a connection. His form has dipped since then. Not an excuse for me more a observation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Not in the same class as Tomlin

At 23, Tomlin was just establishing himself at Peterborough.

I like Palmer, but I can’t deny he’s off-form at the mo’.  But he’s also had no run of games since August!!!  Maybe he doesn’t deserve to???  But he is talented, why isn’t he showing it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At 23, Tomlin was just establishing himself at Peterborough.

I like Palmer, but I can’t deny he’s off-form at the mo’.  But he’s also had no run of games since August!!!  Maybe he doesn’t deserve to???  But he is talented, why isn’t he showing it?

I like to think that I have already answered your last question.

He needs courage to play his natural game  but has taken a lot of stick recently and perhaps that’s inhibiting him . 
 

He’s either trying to hard or the game passes him by when he is thrown on and expected to instantly be on the same wavelength as the attackers in front of him . 
 

It has become something of a vicious circle and LJ needs to get to grips with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is just out of form then I do not think we carry him until he finds his mojo. If he is pissed off for being in and out of the team then it is down to him to make himself undroppable - and if LJ does then drop him he should be banging on his door asking why. LJ might at least put him squad number back in the tombola drum.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Somethings going to happen alright,9/10 times he’s giving the ball away

Your forgetting that 1 time he doesn’t give the ball away he creates something that makes up for losing it 9 times 

how many times have we actually conceded from Palmer giving the ball away? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Highguy said:

Your forgetting that 1 time he doesn’t give the ball away he creates something that makes up for losing it 9 times 

how many times have we actually conceded from Palmer giving the ball away? 

That’s like saying if a forward scores 1 in every 10 chances that one goal makes up for all the misses 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/12/2019 at 18:54, Davefevs said:

At 23, Tomlin was just establishing himself at Peterborough.

I like Palmer, but I can’t deny he’s off-form at the mo’.  But he’s also had no run of games since August!!!  Maybe he doesn’t deserve to???  But he is talented, why isn’t he showing it?

I can’t remember watching a City team with such little movement in quite a long time. And if people aren’t moving, the likes of Palmer who will perhaps hold on to the ball that bit longer waiting for an opening or a run, end up looking even worse. 

If I was him, I’d be glad I was sat on the bench.

I have absolutely no problem with players losing the ball when they are trying to do something positive and make something happen.

Too many of our players consistently play it safe, hide behind opponents , take a touch and go sideways/backwards, looks like you’re “doing okay” - much easier than trying to do something positive and then have the crowd berate you for it. 

 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we paid 3.5 million for kasey palmer which for bristol city is a lot of money, he can not get a starting place in the team which i think is shambolic and one of our managers many problems

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Palmer and would give him a run but agree a static midfield and forward line means he needs to adapt his game not run at players and lose it.

The strangest thing is why we signed a player who we rarely played when on loan.

I don't get all this "needs a pre-season" because LJ already admitted he worked hard all summer and certainly came in firing.

He's young but he's special - remember Charlton and this is without Benik. We have to find a way to make him work.

Edited by Dullmoan Tone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

personally I think DaSilva offers more,might not have that defence splitting pass but does get forward and a plus is he can defend aswell. everytime we get a maverick type player at city it ends up going one way and I can see kasey palmer ending up the same regardless of  how good he is sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmer doesn’t work hard enough. He also try’s the glory ball far too often and needs to do the basics better. Also seems like a big confidence player and at the moment he looks lacking in it. I don’t blame LJ for not starting him but i also wonder how he is managing him on the training ground because KP looks a bit lost to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans understandably bemoan our ponderous and turgid attacking play ( or lack of) and lack of pace in the team. That being the case, Pamer is just the type of player we need as he has the pace and power to get past opposition players and can also pick a defence splitting pass.

Unfortunately, one of the bye products of the pedestrian way we build from the back is that it gives the opposition so much time in which to get players behind the ball and close us down. As a result, when Palmer receives the ball he is often back in our third of the pitch, or under pressure with defenders around him, or a combination of both. Palmer needs to get the ball in the opposition half and in a bit of space in which to run.

The problem with a Palmer type player is that not everything he tries will  come off and when it goes awry then fans will be on his back. City fans seem happier with midfielders who do little but do little wrong, as long as they are triers and put in some effort.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Fans understandably bemoan our ponderous and turgid attacking play ( or lack of) and lack of pace in the team. That being the case, Pamer is just the type of player we need as he has the pace and power to get past opposition players and can also pick a defence splitting pass.

Unfortunately, one of the bye products of the pedestrian way we build from the back is that it gives the opposition so much time in which to get players behind the ball and close us down. As a result, when Palmer receives the ball he is often back in our third of the pitch, or under pressure with defenders around him, or a combination of both. Palmer needs to get the ball in the opposition half and in a bit of space in which to run.

The problem with a Palmer type player is that not everything he tries will  come off and when it goes awry then fans will be on his back. City fans seem happier with midfielders who do little but do little wrong, as long as they are triers and put in some effort.

Think that also comes down to LJ's tactics a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/12/2019 at 08:15, bris red said:

It seems like he could only play with Afobe. Now he is injured the guy seems totally lost.. as a professional footballer you have to be able to adapt your game to be able ‘click’ with more than just one player.. it would suggest to me that Palmer isn’t quite as good as we thought he was to be honest. Not writing the lad off but it does make you wonder.. obviously we need a striker who runs the channels Palmer clearly thrives off playing those passes but as i said he needs to adapt to what we currently have upfront.

Is it palmers fault if no one is capable of making the runs Afobe did?

You can’t make defence splitting passes to put strikers in on goal if there’s no striker there! He wants to create and he can’t because no one in front of him is intelligent enough and then there’s the lack of consistency to the team selection.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...