IGNORED

Spurs Investigation

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Still ongoing into the incident yesterday, but they say they have viewed CCTV footage with lip readers, spoken to people in the area it came from and cannot find any evidence.  Some speculation that maybe the player misheard “cheat, cheat, cheat” (not from Spurs officially, but someone who was there).

Spurs say they are giving the evidence to the police and will continue to investigate, they are speaking to Chelsea players again, to try and clarify things.

Hopefully it will be an instance of misheard chanting.

On BBC, a report that government could get involved.

I detest racism just the same as any other form of abuse. But would a government interference be warranted? Should it not be left to the two clubs and local police?

We are still suffering from all the outdated laws that were brought in as a result of the hooligans. Some of which were based on false information by an establishment that closed ranks and lied about Hillsborough and other events.

Finally, I repeat, all forms of abuse are unwanted. If two English clubs could employ two POW's only three years after the Second World War and for them to be totally accepted and respected by the fans, we can't be as bad as we are sometimes accused.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

On BBC, a report that government could get involved.

I detest racism just the same as any other form of abuse. But would a government interference be warranted? Should it not be left to the two clubs and local police?

We are still suffering from all the outdated laws that were brought in as a result of the hooligans. Some of which were based on false information by an establishment that closed ranks and lied about Hillsborough and other events.

Finally, I repeat, all forms of abuse are unwanted. If two English clubs could employ two POW's only three years after the Second World War and for them to be totally accepted and respected by the fans, we can't be as bad as we are sometimes accused.

See OP. Let’s see what actually transpires. 

50 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Still ongoing into the incident yesterday, but they say they have viewed CCTV footage with lip readers, spoken to people in the area it came from and cannot find any evidence.  Some speculation that maybe the player misheard “cheat, cheat, cheat” (not from Spurs officially, but someone who was there).

Spurs say they are giving the evidence to the police and will continue to investigate, they are speaking to Chelsea players again, to try and clarify things.

Hopefully it will be an instance of misheard chanting.

Lip readers will always be a unreliable source because they can never be sure

So Spurs fans are being ‘investigated’ for alleged racist abuse - fair enough, spot on, totally agree - but the gas just get a slap on the wrist fine for homophobic abuse by their fans - why no investigation there? Not highlighting this just cos it’s the gas, but are double standards at play here? I dunno, the modern world is infuriating and confusing but surely the powers that be should treat all forms of abuse equally and investigate them equally? 

The only way to deal with racism is to educate racists.  Fining clubs and banning fans will do no good at all.  It’s important to listen to people with racist views and convince them that they are wrong, however difficult that may be.  You can’t change someone’s views by hitting them with a big stick...

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The only way to deal with racism is to educate racists.  Fining clubs and banning fans will do no good at all.  It’s important to listen to people with racist views and convince them that they are wrong, however difficult that may be.  You can’t change someone’s views by hitting them with a big stick...

Agree with this. That said, prosecution and bans should be part of the equation too IMO. Case by case basis?

Heard a curious line on the news about 5 mins ago. PFA said racism at football should be treated as a criminal offence or similar.

A curious line, as I assumed it is/would be in any case!

I was at the game, although not that close to the scene of the "crime".   There was definitely very loud chants of "cheat, cheat, cheat"  and booing of Rudiger after the Son incident.  As we all know there are some players, regardless of race or colour who will get abuse during games based on their own unsporting behaviour.  Rudiger's behaviour was awful during the game. So many on the ball and off the ball incidents where he poked, pushed, obstructed and verbalised  Spurs players.  He is definitely no saint.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So Spurs fans are being ‘investigated’ for alleged racist abuse - fair enough, spot on, totally agree - but the gas just get a slap on the wrist fine for homophobic abuse by their fans - why no investigation there? Not highlighting this just cos it’s the gas, but are double standards at play here? I dunno, the modern world is infuriating and confusing but surely the powers that be should treat all forms of abuse equally and investigate them equally? 

The homophobic chanting was investigated after being reported, and found to have happened, hence the fine and instructing the club to draw up an action plan.  I believe that the cctv showed that it was a group of younger fans who were responsible (no idea if the images were clear enough for them to be prosecuted), whereas with Spurs, they haven't yet found any hard evidence - hence the ongoing investigation.

Racism is abhorrent, and makes me sick, and if what allegedly happened to Rudiger is proven, then I would advocate a life ban to the supporter.    I appreciate that I may be going off on a tangent,  and I do not  agree with Mourhino very often.............   But I have to say Rudiger's over the top reaction to Son's tap on his Noggin was sad, embarassing and has no place in professional or amateur football.  IMHO.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Investigation closed, neither the police or Spurs could find any evidence of the alleged racist chanting.  

Investigation closed, neither the police or Spurs could find any evidence of the alleged racist chanting.  

At the time I thought it was strange that no other players heard it, the stewards didn’t hear it and professional lip readers studied each face in that section of the crowd and found no evidence of it. It did however distract attention from the cheating by the player involved that contributed to Song being sent off.  

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

At the time I thought it was strange that no other players heard it, the stewards didn’t hear it and professional lip readers studied each face in that section of the crowd and found no evidence of it. It did however distract attention from the cheating by the player involved that contributed to Song being sent off.  

The Spurs fans in that area were adamant that they were chanting ‘cheat, cheat, cheat’ and the player concerned misconstrued that as monkey chants ... not sure why this wasn’t more widely reported, or perhaps it was ?!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Spurs fans in that area were adamant that they were chanting ‘cheat, cheat, cheat’ and the player concerned misconstrued that as monkey chants ... not sure why this wasn’t more widely reported, or perhaps it was ?!

If it was reported fairly at the time that wouldve been okay, but despite many witnesses stating to the contrary, it was portrayed at time as a definite ‘racist’ incident.

On 23/12/2019 at 22:19, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Especially when it's not the racist being hit with the stick.

3 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

But a singular person was not accused so that’s absolutely irrelevant. 

I wouldn’t say it’s ‘absolutely irrelevant’ - a single entity was accused - a football club, in the same way a person is a single entity - I think if you were wrongly accused of being racist you’d want action taken, yet you don’t think Spurs should do likewise - strange, but everyone’s different, fair enough ...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It should have been reported on every news channel for a couple of days imo but it doesn't seem to suit the media narrative that football has a massive racist element (I am not saying there isn't racism in the game, but when you add up all the numbers of fans through turnstiles, and actual racist reports what is the percentage)? You can also bet now that the majority of people will automatically class Spurs fans as racist, and this is some sort of cover up etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wouldn’t say it’s ‘absolutely irrelevant’ - a single entity was accused - a football club, in the same way a person is a single entity - I think if you were wrongly accused of being racist you’d want action taken, yet you don’t think Spurs should do likewise - strange, but everyone’s different, fair enough ...

What action? For a player mis-hearing? Possibly Chelsea or Rudiger could be expected to apologise to Spurs but I don’t think Spurs will care. I’d imagine they’d rather not put players off highlighting racism in the future.

16 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

What? Why would there be?

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

If it was reported fairly at the time that wouldve been okay, but despite many witnesses stating to the contrary, it was portrayed at time as a definite ‘racist’ incident.

Absolutely agree. Instead the allegation was reported as a “racist incident” as the headlines on the BBC news, it formed the bulk of the post match analysis with Gary Neville telling us how appalling it was and there were calls for the government to get involved.  We were told how can we criticise other countries when we “clearly have a racist problem”. Now we are told it apparently never happened yet this will get little or no press coverage. The damage to football’s reputation has already been done by this false allegation. 

Archived