IGNORED

Best ever boxing day at the gate.

Oh Louie louie

We beat millwall 4 times in the 97 season.

i do recall that lady sitting on the encloser wall and showing some festive sprit that was defo at home to brighton in the late 80s.

I thought that grimsby game was late in the season cause us and watford were miles ahead at one point and it was a six pointer.

That 4 1 against millwall i recall cramb having a cracking game.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We played everton in the cup a few days after that swindon game if im right.

Torpey played a blinder in the swindon game.

He had a cracker v Everton too. Him up against David Unsworth was a really old school centre forward v centre half battle where they both battered seven bells out of each other and just got up and got on with it. No rolling around, just two hard men competing - it was a joy to watch.

Didn’t the Rovers fixture in mid 90s (95?) get called off due to that crazy frozen rain. Never seen anything like that before or since. Remember having to do my paper round in my dads golf shoes as the spikes were only thing that made it safe to walk. 

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

Didn’t the Rovers fixture in mid 90s (95?) get called off due to that crazy frozen rain. Never seen anything like that before or since. Remember having to do my paper round in my dads golf shoes as the spikes were only thing that made it safe to walk. 

8 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

i think the rovers game was called off on the morning i can vaguely remember the weather being terrible and dangerous conditions on the streets 

Wasn`t that one a NY Day game?

23 hours ago, MrBibs said:

There were even Plymouth fans in the grandstand (I’m sure we used to call it that rather than the Williams) as me any my mates got grief off them for celebrating - we weren’t much more than kids at the time.

Many years ago away supporters were allocated the end block of the then grand stand closest to the open end on big games. I remember in those years sitting at the block furthest away in the grand stand which was closest to the east end. This block had a great atmosphere late 70s early 80s. The end of the enclosure directly in front was also a good spot.

I've been looking through the record books. In the years following WW2, City's Boxing Day fixtures were against Plymouth, Torquay, Exeter, Swansea & Newport. When we got out of Div 3 South, the fixtures became the likes of Derby and Reading. In the seventies, WBA was frequently a late December games. We went there New Years Day one season and next season, but still the same calendar went there on Boxing Day.year

Also looking at the records.

Best post war home game result on Boxing Day is 1978 against Coventry City.

We won 5-0 with hat-trick from Joe Royle, Peter Cormack and Tom Ritchie.

A good December. Beat Derby 1-0, Liverpool 1-0, and Coventry all at home. Two away draws at Leeds 1-1 and Chelsea 0-0.

We finished 13th in Div One that season.

13 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Not sure if it was Boxing Day or New Years Day or if it was Brighton or Brentford, but some birds got their tits out in the Members area. Think it was 5-3, cracking game, but the tits are all I can remember

88 or 89 ?‍♂️

Yeh!!!  plenty of life in the old uns!

Probably a bit droopy for me though.

6 hours ago, 77 punk said:

i think the rovers game was called off on the morning i can vaguely remember the weather being terrible and dangerous conditions on the streets 

It certainly was for Rovers fans! If I'm correct, this is when they got totally clattered in the city center?

Of the Boxing Day fixtures, none at the Gate standout for me (Millwall saw scintillating football but the atmosphere was largely dormant if memory serves right?), though there's been some decent aways - West Brom around 93 I think, vast open terrace with at least 3,500 City going mental as we hung on to a jammy 1-0 win (Tinnion I think scoring against the run of play?). Cracking atmosphere that day! 

17 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Not sure if it was Boxing Day or New Years Day or if it was Brighton or Brentford, but some birds got their tits out in the Members area. Think it was 5-3, cracking game, but the tits are all I can remember

88 or 89 ?‍♂️

87/88 season; "Joe Jordan became Player/Coach due to his vast experience. He would not play in every game, but would appear for tough fixtures. An example of this occurred at Christmas 1987 when Brighton visited. They were unbeaten for 17 games, but were 3-0 down at half time. They then staged a come back and scored twice, so Jordan came on as substitute. He scored a goal and laid on another for an emphatic 5-2 win. Brighton went on to win automatic promotion".

1 hour ago, 22A said:

87/88 season; "Joe Jordan became Player/Coach due to his vast experience. He would not play in every game, but would appear for tough fixtures. An example of this occurred at Christmas 1987 when Brighton visited. They were unbeaten for 17 games, but were 3-0 down at half time. They then staged a come back and scored twice, so Jordan came on as substitute. He scored a goal and laid on another for an emphatic 5-2 win. Brighton went on to win automatic promotion".

That's the game! JJ was brilliant that afternoon

Archived