IGNORED

SACK HIM

pillred

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I can’t see any experienced manager wanting to come here really, yes we’re on the up but we certainly aren’t an attractive proposition in this league when compared to some. 

Add to that Lansdown seemingly preferring to go with younger coaches for less money and that’s the route I can see him going for

It’s all academic now, and I was roundly ridiculed for suggesting it in the past, but Warnock would definitely have come here, so I’m not sure why you “can’t see any experienced manager wanting to come here”?

You will probably say you would never have wanted Neil as our manager, but your earlier post on this thread says you would “love us to go for someone with a track record and experience.” And Warnock would obviously meet your criteria.

Putting him aside though, I agree with @Sturny - I think a proper, proven manager would love to be manager of Bristol City - what a great City in which to live, what a great club owner who stays loyal even when the team goes on long losing runs and regularly plays badly and anyone looking in from the outside would be tempted by the amount of dosh LJ was given to spend, and squander on notable occasions ... the set up at Bristol City would definitely attract a top notch (at this level) manager, but whether SL would be prepared to invest in such a person is entirely another talking point ...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s all academic now, and I was roundly ridiculed for suggesting it in the past, but Warnock would definitely have come here, so I’m not sure why you “can’t see any experienced manager wanting to come here”?

You will probably say you would never have wanted Neil as our manager, but your earlier post on this thread says you would “love us to go for someone with a track record and experience.” And Warnock would obviously meet your criteria.

Putting him aside though, I agree with @Sturny - I think a proper, proven manager would love to be manager of Bristol City - what a great City in which to live, what a great club owner who stays loyal even when the team goes on long losing runs and regularly plays badly and anyone looking in from the outside would be tempted by the amount of dosh LJ was given to spend, and squander on notable occasions ... the set up at Bristol City would definitely attract a top notch (at this level) manager, but whether SL would be prepared to invest in such a person is entirely another talking point ...

Neil Warnock certainly fits that bill I agree, would I have had him as our manager a couple of years ago? I’m not sure tbh, yes he’d have got us out of the league but I doubt we’d have done anything in the premier league, and we may well have ended up like his Cardiff side this season. 

That being said, I’d have him over LJ!

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Neil Warnock certainly fits that bill I agree, would I have had him as our manager a couple of years ago? I’m not sure tbh, yes he’d have got us out of the league but I doubt we’d have done anything in the premier league, and we may well have ended up like his Cardiff side this season. 

That being said, I’d have him over LJ!

Yep, but as I’ve said on here for years, if I was SL I’d have used Warnock to get us out of this division then I’d have given him a handsome pay off for his efforts, recognised he isn’t a premier league manager, and appointed a proven gaffer at the next level - the constant ‘Warnock hasn’t achieved anything in the premier league’ rhetoric is a bit boring - I don’t want him to achieve anything up there - I just want him to get our club promoted - and he’s proved he can do that, again, and again, and again, and again .... etc 

You don't have to go that far back to realise that we will be in League Two before Landdown even entertains the idea of parting company with Johnson.

During the record losing run a couple of years ago when the world and his wife were calling for Johnson to go, Lansdown went on Radio Bristol and basically said, "I put the money in. It's my club".

It was my club when Lansdown was supporting Rovers. But if any point in history should show you that he doesn't give a **** what we think, that should be it.

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

You don't have to go that far back to realise that we will be in League Two before Landdown even entertains the idea of parting company with Johnson.

During the record losing run a couple of years ago when the world and his wife were calling for Johnson to go, Lansdown went on Radio Bristol and basically said, "I put the money in. It's my club".

It was my club when Lansdown was supporting Rovers. But if any point in history should show you that he doesn't give a **** what we think, that should be it.

It is a matter of record that LJ’s position was considered during that losing run, and he narrowly survived - a decision vindicated by survival and then considerable league position improvement every season since. Of course such facts don’t suit your agenda. It’s utter, negatively biased nonsense to suggest Lansdown would accept relegation to League Two under Johnson.

Like it or not, he DOES put in the money and that DOES give him the right to the final say on who the manager is - and he’s not compelled to do what we want....which is just as well really, because this forum broadly supported the appointment of O’Driscoll while turning our noses up at Cotterill.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve posted comments a lot like this in the past.

But we used to say 3 points off top.

Then we said 3 points off third.

Now we’re saying 3 points off the play offs.

The trend is only one way, and too often a promising spell has been followed by a disappointing one. The inconsistency is too consistent for me now.

As you rightly say, City fans have been saying those comments the last two years prior to this one 

People are finally starting to wake up and see LJ for what he is. Decent coach, awful manager 

5 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

You win

See below..

6 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think you have a point about LJ. Seems he's looked on as a good player coach. Maybe he should give Pep a call and ask for Arteta's job!

Not an entirely unreasonable suggestion but only if a far better chappy is standing in the wings.

5 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Top trumps, I said get rid when he was first appointed 

Not so fast sunshine..Not appointing him in the first place trumps the lot.?

However, since he has been around for as relatively long as he has and we should consider and credit steady progress I think we should be careful what we wish for. At least for now. I do get the frustration though but this season is far too important to hit the panic button just yet; change now and I think we are more likely to see City going backwards first unless of course someone of huge stature could be persuaded. 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, but as I’ve said on here for years, if I was SL I’d have used Warnock to get us out of this division then I’d have given him a handsome pay off for his efforts, recognised he isn’t a premier league manager, and appointed a proven gaffer at the next level - the constant ‘Warnock hasn’t achieved anything in the premier league’ rhetoric is a bit boring - I don’t want him to achieve anything up there - I just want him to get our club promoted - and he’s proved he can do that, again, and again, and again, and again .... etc 

With (often)  very poor football.

Youv'e got quite the blindspot about certain types of managers, I think. You very often sell the positives of Warnock, but also in the past McCarthy and Keane while glossing over their flaws.

11 hours ago, havanatopia said:

See below..

Not an entirely unreasonable suggestion but only if a far better chappy is standing in the wings.

Not so fast sunshine..Not appointing him in the first place trumps the lot.?

However, since he has been around for as relatively long as he has and we should consider and credit steady progress I think we should be careful what we wish for. At least for now. I do get the frustration though but this season is far too important to hit the panic button just yet; change now and I think we are more likely to see City going backwards first unless of course someone of huge stature could be persuaded. 

Your huge or big stature. Doesn't necessarily work here!

Pulis...a terrible fit granted but has proven himself competent in the top 2 divisons but certainly at the time we appointed him, the third tier. 

That went well!! 

Coppell was very much proven, building on a reasonable foundation and appointed in March 2010. Quit us and indeed for a time football...

That went well!! 

O'Driscoll while not of Coppell's level for sure, was highly regarded and rightly so for his work at Doncaster. Sacked by Nottingham Forest Boxing Day 2012, a point off playoffs having beaten Leeds. Did solid work at Bournemouth too and a strong footballing ethos. 

That went well!!

12 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

As you rightly say, City fans have been saying those comments the last two years prior to this one 

People are finally starting to wake up and see LJ for what he is. Decent coach, awful manager 

I'm seeing LJ for what I've always seen him as. A good but flawed coach who - on the credit side -  has improved us season upon season, got us great memories from a League Cup run, developed several players into being worth multi-millions but - on the negative side - has struggled for consistency, not always got the best from players and not shown he can do quite what is needed to get us into the play-offs.

It might well be time to make a change but nobody can look at this track record here and call him an "awful manager" and he has certainly proved all of us - me included - who were calling for his head during the losing streak to be completely and utterly wrong. If we lost at home to Luton and he left as a result then it might not be the worst thing in the world and we might get a manager who could improve us but LJ would still have done a very good job over the last four years - in the time I have supported City only Gary Johnson, Joe Jordan and Steve Cotterill could really be seen to have done any better and he has certainly picked up from where the latter left us. 

My feelings right now are not dissimilar to how I felt at the end of Cotterill's tenure. I'm grateful for what he's done, he'd leave with my thanks and good wishes but I'm reaching a point where I'd quite like hm to leave with those thanks and good wishes and give someone else the chance to build on the foundation he's built before poor results and morale undermine what he has actually achieved. 

Personally, I don’t agree with sacking managers as soon as a few successive defeats come along. I agree with the patience SL has shown but I can see that the excuses are becoming repetitive. The body language is very poor from players and management. Maybe the time is right for fresh thoughts and a different approach

The Luton game is now massive for LJ. They really need to come out of the traps quickly and get early goals. More of the dross which we’ve largely had to put up with at home this year and the crowd will turn on him. And Luton will know that. 

13 hours ago, Superjack said:

Is that what he said? Nob

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm seeing LJ for what I've always seen him as. A good but flawed coach who - on the credit side -  has improved us season upon season, got us great memories from a League Cup run, developed several players into being worth multi-millions but - on the negative side - has struggled for consistency, not always got the best from players and not shown he can do quite what is needed to get us into the play-offs.

It might well be time to make a change but nobody can look at this track record here and call him an "awful manager" and he has certainly proved all of us - me included - who were calling for his head during the losing streak to be completely and utterly wrong. If we lost at home to Luton and he left as a result then it might not be the worst thing in the world and we might get a manager who could improve us but LJ would still have done a very good job over the last four years - in the time I have supported City only Gary Johnson, Joe Jordan and Steve Cotterill could really be seen to have done any better and he has certainly picked up from where the latter left us. 

My feelings right now are not dissimilar to how I felt at the end of Cotterill's tenure. I'm grateful for what he's done, he'd leave with my thanks and good wishes but I'm reaching a point where I'd quite like hm to leave with those thanks and good wishes and give someone else the chance to build on the foundation he's built before poor results and morale undermine what he has actually achieved. 

Basically what I said but done with a bit more tact!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With (often)  very poor football.

Youv'e got quite the blindspot about certain types of managers, I think. You very often sell the positives of Warnock, but also in the past McCarthy and Keane while glossing over their flaws.

Yep, but no manager is perfect and the three you’ve mentioned above have all been very successful 

27 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

This type of thread is why I rarely visit or post on this forum after a defeat. 

I think this article sums up how some City fans deal with a setback.....

https://fanbanter.co.uk/video-bristol-city-fans-fight-each-other-in-the-away-end-at-charlton/

Unsubstantiated, but I was told all members of the same family and the aggressive one has health issues.

Not sure if anyone has better information. Doesn't make it any better, but if the rumours are true this could have happened anywhere.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Warnock- yes,

McCarthy- Mixed.

Keane- Toss can be argued there.

Yep, obviously Warnock’s record number of promotions is there for all to see and I agree Keane’s managerial career is up for debate - although he did win the championship as a gaffer ... but I wouldn’t necessarily agree that McCarthy’s track record can be adequately described as ‘mixed.’

In his first season as a manager (at Millwall) Mick McCarthy finished 3rd in the championship.

As ROI boss he took his country to the World Cup finals where they were the 5th best performing European team.

In his first full season as Sunderland manager he took them to the championship play offs and in his second season he promoted them to the premier league as champions of the championship.

At Wolves he joined a club reeling with financial issues and they’d just had to sell most of their first team players - McCarthy immediately put together a squad from the youth team, lower league signings and free transfers and took Wolves into the championship play offs in his first season there. In his second season at Molineux, Wolves finished 7th and in his third season he took them up into the premier league as champions of the championship. He kept them up for three seasons in the premier league.

And in his spell as gaffer at Ipswich he had less than £5m in total to spend on buying players across the six years he was at Portman Road - less than £1m per season - yet he kept them competitive in the championship. And where are they now?

Obviously Mick had some blips but I think his overall record as a manager deserves a better word than ‘mixed’ to describe his achievements throughout a superb career.

But, that’s just my opinion - it’s all up for debate ...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, obviously Warnock’s record number of promotions is there for all to see and I agree Keane’s managerial career is up for debate - although he did win the championship as a gaffer ... but I wouldn’t necessarily agree that McCarthy’s track record can be adequately described as ‘mixed.’

In his first season as a manager (at Millwall) Mick McCarthy finished 3rd in the championship.

As ROI boss he took his country to the World Cup finals where they were the 5th best performing European team.

In his first full season as Sunderland manager he took them to the championship play offs and in his second season he promoted them to the premier league as champions of the championship.

At Wolves he joined a club reeling with financial issues and they’d just had to sell most of their first team players - McCarthy immediately put together a squad from the youth team, lower league signings and free transfers and took Wolves into the championship play offs in his first season there. In his second season at Molineux, Wolves finished 7th and in his third season he took them up into the premier league as champions of the championship. He kept them up for three seasons in the premier league.

And in his spell as gaffer at Ipswich he had less than £5m in total to spend on buying players across the six years he was at Portman Road - less than £1m per season - yet he kept them competitive in the championship. And where are they now?

Obviously Mick had some blips but I think his overall record as a manager deserves a better word than ‘mixed’ to describe his achievements throughout a superb career.

Blimey I didn't appreciate how good McCarthy's record has been.

I think Ipswich fans might be having a rethink....

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Might be worth analysing wage bills over net spend or both for a fuller picture. 

McCarthy...had a similar wage budget to Sheffield United and a bigger one I suspect though would have to check, than Brentford, Millwall and Preston in 2017/18. All finished above! Works both ways, you see. 

All very well too citing his  undoubted achievements but what you neglect to mention is that when they sold Waghorn, and Garner- while releasing McGoldrick they lost a lot of goals. Let alone assists! 

McCarthy never had to have a season without all 3 at once. Plus Celina- another useful player. Plus of course Webster. 

Unconvinced he keeps them up without in 2018/19.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might be worth analysing wage bills over net spend or both for a fuller picture. 

McCarthy...had a similar wage budget to Sheffield United and a bigger one I suspect though would have to check, than Brentford, Millwall and Preston in 2017/18. All finished above! Works both ways, you see. 

All very well too citing his  undoubted achievements but what you neglect to mention is that when they sold Waghorn, and Garner- while releasing McGoldrick they lost a lot of goals. Let alone assists! 

McCarthy never had to have a season without all 3 at once. Plus Celina- another useful player. Plus of course Webster. 

Unconvinced he keeps them up without in 2018/19.

For what’s it worth I’d take McCarthy here in a heartbeat. Apart from an excellent track record at Championship level, he strikes me as the sort of manager who would get a consistent level of performance and the best out of the players at his disposal - which is exactly what we’re not doing at the moment.

Archived