IGNORED

LJ - simple choice Stick or Twist

old_eastender

LJ - simple choice Stick or Twist?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Come on Dave, you can't just leave that there and not elaborate on it ?

Only mutterings that LJ isn’t getting the players he wants.

Personally, whether he is or isn’t, he has a big squad of enough quality to get top 6.

I bet Lee wasn’t moaning after Fulham, just like us fans weren’t.

Perhaps he’s as fickle as us? ?

Perhaps spoilt too!!!  Lose a couple and blame starts coming out!

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think the job MA has done at this club is very understated. I know many of our fans dont like him, hes certainly not everyone's cup of tea but he has turned this club into a solid Championship club, there is no getting away from that.

SL knew jack all about running a football club, he made some huge mistakes over the years. 

The greatest signing SL ever made was MA, someone that knows football and the industry inside out. Before MA arrived I always said SL needed a football man to run the club as it was clear SL had neither the expertise or the desire to run the club on a full time basis. 

I think I can remember a MA interview where he said SL ultimately signs off on the signings but he has never said no. Something was said about how SL has created an environment so that MA knows what the budget is, knows what kind of players SL wants us to bring in, knows what ponds to fish in and he and LJ work to those parameters so when they do present a potential signing to SL he ultimately signs it off as he knows the due process that he demands has been followed. 

This 100%

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Will you come up with hilarious nicknames for any new manager and players too?...

They'll doubtless be deserving of epithets though I doubt they'll be hilarious, as that isn't necessarily an epithet's purpose. 

Given in recent times we've endured being managed (sic) by Lousy Pint, McWinless and O'Dreadful I'm not holding out much hope....

6 hours ago, Sturny said:

Really? Every supporter I know in person said they’d like a change. I guess it’s different for everyone. Maybe they’re just not that vocal about it at the ground 

I’ll be surprised if there’s no loud boos if things go badly vs Luton 

Agree. I wouldn’t boo - I just don’t do it as I feel it’s not worth the harm it can cause to the team and I just never have - I’m more a head in hands man (!) - and out of the 8 or so I go with there’s probably one or two that would if it was really bad. But all of us would like change for the right man to be brought in and have done for a while. Don’t think you can gauge happiness with the amount of booing! 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Would love to know the true dynamic between MA and LJ.

We've heard stuff in the past that MA was controlling recruitment, but then we hear LJ saying he has final say (before it goes to SL for sign-off).  Recruitment appeared to have been improving, but we are seeing too many players not getting minutes.

Yesterday I heard more stuff about LJ and MA.

I don’t know how true it is, but for me, the squad is good enough for top 6.  LJ picks the team, the system, makes the subs etc.  Saying MA is to blame sounds massively buck-passing to me.  And I’m not MA’s biggest fan either.

This is in a nutshell why I think SL will stick with LJ. I said in an earlier post that part of the SL mantra is making this club profitable. SL will critique LJ in this area and say it's been a roaring success. Talent + Training = profit. LJ needs to be given huge kudos in this area. 

That's why there are 2 streams. The business of Bristol City is 2 fold. Player profit and League position. 

With MA at the helm for transfers regardless if what LJ says,  the club is doing exceptionally well. 

SL is not going to risk this structure by bringing in and experienced manager like  Sam A or Chris H,  as more than likely they would want to tear up/remove/change operations. 

This system is working, whether we like it or not and we are a long way from the tipping point whereby SL will pull the trigger on LJ

Stevo 

I've staunchly defended LJ in the past, but there's something about this run of defeats that feels different to others and the negativity is threatening to swirl into something far darker than previous.

Personally I really like LJ and think he's got a huge future in English football, I would love nothing more than for him to turn the recent form around but... it's starting to feel like it's run it's course a little. Those home defeats feel bigger for the way we didn't turn up, whilst yesterday was a kick in the crackers that came when we needed it least. 

Maybe I'm guilty of being sucked in by the air of despondency here, but something clearly needs to be given a rattle whether it be a bold transfer window or.... a change to the management... I'm glad it's not me running the club as it's a big decision to make. 

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Ive come round to the LJ must leave camp, but I just get the impression rightly or wrongly that there are some that have had a vendetta against the bloke before he ever came back to BS3. I'd also have to query what the **** has his height got to do with anything?

That vendetta has been clear since he played for us. A section of our fanbase have hated him from day one! 

16 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I've staunchly defended LJ in the past, but there's something about this run of defeats that feels different to others and the negativity is threatening to swirl into something far darker than previous.

Personally I really like LJ and think he's got a huge future in English football, I would love nothing more than for him to turn the recent form around but... it's starting to feel like it's run it's course a little. Those home defeats feel bigger for the way we didn't turn up, whilst yesterday was a kick in the crackers that came when we needed it least. 

Maybe I'm guilty of being sucked in by the air of despondency here, but something clearly needs to be given a rattle whether it be a bold transfer window or.... a change to the management... I'm glad it's not me running the club as it's a big decision to make. 

I was watching something on Sky Sports the other day and they were talking about Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and the trouble they find themselves in this season. The pundits said that as Howe has been there for a while things might be starting to go stale, the same training routines etc and that maybe they need a shake up by having a new manager or even just a big striker to get everyone at the club excited again and I couldn't help but think that what they were saying about Eddie Howe and Bournemouth the exact same applies to us. We need to freshen up somehow. 

35 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

That vendetta has been clear since he played for us. A section of our fanbase have hated him from day one! 

As a player to me he was a bit meh, like his team. Lots of running and sideways passes ! Certainly didn’t hate him in his playing days 
to some cos his dad was gaffer it was an easy out to any critics , there were occasions lee kept out another player in the same position.  Memory escapes me ! 

I didn’t want him as manager from day one , which I’ve been consistent with, has done a few good things , spotted a couple of good players , Eliason, Webster, Kalas Dasilva , traded well with players  selling Webster , flint , pack at the right time for good money .

i don’t buy into the way he sets his teams up , chopping and changing of teams and formations , injuries understandable , 

his talking himself up as an up and coming bright English manager , Yet no top clubs have came calling ? using new training methods , networks with top clubs and coaches   ( for his career progression ?)   The loans of young players from top clubs has dried up   

same cliches after each defeat/ draw against clubs in poor form   

cant address the long annual winless runs , fourth year in a row   Now , thought he might have learnt by now   

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Yep. Not wanting him as manager at the time is a fair enough opinion to hold, I wasn't overly enamoured with it myself.

However there is a minority who have let that cloud their opinion on the job he's actually done, any praise is through gritted teeth, and every defeat, no matter the form that preceded it, is evidence that he isn't good enough and should be sacked immediately.

11 hours ago, gazza1982 said:

There will be boos if we lose to Luton but that would happen if we were in the middle of a good run. The truth is the fans inside the ground have never been that vocal in the past about getting LJ sacked. 

Spot on - all the talk of ‘toxic atmospheres’ over the last few years is laughable - I’ve said it before, but Bristol City players, managers, head coaches and owners get a very easy ride - Ashton Gate doesn’t do toxic atmospheres ... Newcastle (when trying to get rid of Pardew) and Man City (when trying to oust Swales) - those were proper, evil, toxic arenas ... Bristolians aren’t capable of that, and that ain’t a criticism, we just don’t do it - the odd grumble and a few quiet boos ... we can do that 

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Name the last manager of the same stature or less to promote a team from the Championship? 

to be fair you could walk around Broadmead, The Galleries and Cribbs all day and you wouldnt find many blokes of 5 foot 6 or less. Even Kevin Keegan was taller. I'd still argue that his height had nothing to do with his abilities

On 26/12/2019 at 20:06, RedDave said:

Nowadays every manager is four games from fans wanting him sacked. Poor part of modern day football 

If you apply Boycott's two quick wickets rule, we're now two quick losses from 6 defeats in a row, 7 in 9 games. Surely that would make even the most hardy optimistic lose their rag?

You also have to credit our fans with identifying that performances had been questionable even during our unbeaten run.

On 27/12/2019 at 01:14, Mr Popodopolous said:

Luton, Shrewsbury, Wigan and Barnsley certainly all winnable. Though both of the latter seem to be picking up a bit, but winnable all the same!

You would absolutely expect some wins from those games. If not, then the rot has really taken hold.

36 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It is hard to imagine losing to Luton. Very very unlikely, if anything a Huddersfield type performance is due. Will lower the heat, but not cover the cracks.You would then expect a forward coming in early Jan as the last roll of the LJ dice. Unless we lose 3 or 4 of the January games, LJ will see the season out. He just signed a new contract so not a hope of an in season change unless it really is rock bottom and will depend on the person MA has identified as a replacement and their availability. But it is not a decision we have any say in or can change, it is down to one person. 

Totally agree. Losing to Luton would be incredibly damning, and damaging ahead of Brentford. But it just surely can't happen. It won't happen.

Unless... Hunt sent off after 10 minutes... ?

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

It is hard to imagine losing to Luton. Very very unlikely, if anything a Huddersfield type performance is due. Will lower the heat, but not cover the cracks.You would then expect a forward coming in early Jan as the last roll of the LJ dice. Unless we lose 3 or 4 of the January games, LJ will see the season out. He just signed a new contract so not a hope of an in season change unless it really is rock bottom and will depend on the person MA has identified as a replacement and their availability. But it is not a decision we have any say in or can change, it is down to one person. 

Hard to imagine losing to a side that took the lead three times against Fulham?

I dont find that hard to imagine at all.

However I also don’t find it hard to imagine us finding our mojo again and winning 3-0.

Our total unpredictability is what baffles me. But then I expect fans of many other clubs are feeling the same this season. Only the top two clubs have shown much semblance of solid reliability.

On 27/12/2019 at 14:23, BTRFTG said:

It's not as simple as stick or twist. 

If we bring somebody new in they still have to deal with getting rid of the mass of **** players WeeLee's amassed.

Don't agree, about a mass of shit players.

Long held a belief that the way he sets up the team does quite a few players- especially our CMs- few favours. Held this belief since at least the start of last season, possibly longer.

On 27/12/2019 at 08:07, JoeAman08 said:

What is funny is our next two are at home so makes them less winnable ? 

Think Luton might actually be the tougher game for us. They are fighting for points and expect that will be a tough one. Whereas Brentford our guys will probably have that underdog mentality and come out firing. At least based off the last few years. Anyway, the Luton game scares me a bit because AG will turn quickly if they frustrate us. 

Brentford are bang in form, worth looking at their last 16 games. 2nd only to WBA over a third of a season. 2 goals and 2 pts per game in that period. A point would be a good result! Oh and talking of WBA they went there and matched them, outplayed for reasonable spells just before Christmas.

Both could be highly difficult but for different reasons. 

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

Hard to imagine losing to a side that took the lead three times against Fulham?

I dont find that hard to imagine at all.

However I also don’t find it hard to imagine us finding our mojo again and winning 3-0.

Our total unpredictability is what baffles me. But then I expect fans of many other clubs are feeling the same this season. Only the top two clubs have shown much semblance of solid reliability.

If we do come out all guns blazing and win well, that should scotch the rumours about a sour dressing room!
Won’t hold my breath though, even though we don’t have Tomlin or Wilbs any more there’s a squad there that know how good or not the gaffer is! There has to be at least one that will have given LJ a mouthful and others will be in agreement, vocal or not.

On 27/12/2019 at 14:23, BTRFTG said:

It's not as simple as stick or twist. 

If we bring somebody new in they still have to deal with getting rid of the mass of **** players WeeLee's amassed.

Perhaps not, he’s coached playing well out of the best players we have, who can judge the **** players we don’t get to see?

36 minutes ago, dave36 said:

who can judge the **** players we don’t get to see?

Many are on show each week and one must conclude if the rest can't get into the team when those appearing are so poor, well, they must be truly awful, as invariably they transpire to be when making the odd appearance before being shipped out never to be seen again.

He's going nowhere. Unless, of course he gets poached by a Premier League team then we will be left with Jamie McAllister or Dean Holden to take over and Jamie McAllister will be the favourite. It's promotion from within to minimise the unstabling affect of a new manager and coaching regime. So forget Hughton or any other "names" it simply won't happen.

Be careful what you wish for.

On 29/12/2019 at 01:41, Swede said:

He's going nowhere. Unless, of course he gets poached by a Premier League team then we will be left with Jamie McAllister or Dean Holden to take over and Jamie McAllister will be the favourite. It's promotion from within to minimise the unstabling affect of a new manager and coaching regime. So forget Hughton or any other "names" it simply won't happen.

Be careful what you wish for.

If lee was such a highly sought after coach , why weren’t West Ham interested?

Archived