IGNORED

LJ - simple choice Stick or Twist

old_eastender

LJ - simple choice Stick or Twist?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Go please............stop pussyfooting as a football club, we are always the bridesmaid, only decent time in last  20 years was with Cotts

Each to their own of course, however.

This is an interesting statement and possibly one that fails to take account of many factors. That bit aside, I'm assuming you didn't enjoy a fair chunk of the era referred to/described below?

I can only assume you were away for the steady then in some ways thrilling rise from bottom of League One September 2005 and indeed rock bottom in December 2005, up to top 2/top 3 of the Championship about 2 years later! Was brilliant...a great feelgood factor around the ground and our highest League position in a generation.

Throw in a good JPT Cup run and an FA Cup run-  then a near miss vs Man City when they were starting to get alright under Sven in 2007, and some notable scalps in the League and it certainly was not a bad 3-4 years under GJ!!

That's before we even debate the standards and the differences in these when comparing eras.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know- I'm not denying this, I'm just saying aht successful/proven/respected managver isn't the panacea it might seem.

However, with the much improved infrastructure, resources etc maybe it is the way to go- I dunno.

Cotts was successful and paid off in a big way- in League One, where we were the big fish and had the pick of players, save for Sheffield United and possibly not even that when it comes to the pick! I think impatience possibly got the better of him here, his financial resources were always going to improve a year, or two down the line looking back now.

Interesting, how do you mean? In terms of SL's club SL's rules and his rules only?

Yeah SL’s club and his rules. Not club actually.... business. I just get the impression he’s still very hands-on and very much in control. I don’t get the impression MA or LJ have any real authority when it comes to sanctioning signings. I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

Yeah SL’s club and his rules. Not club actually.... business. I just get the impression he’s still very hands-on and very much in control. I don’t get the impression MA or LJ have any real authority when it comes to sanctioning signings. I could be wrong. 

I could be wrong too but I always thought our decline in the Championship to bottom of League One, kicked in when SL took less of a hands on approach and handed over more responsibility to JL. Coincidence or not, it didn't seem ideal...

I thought SL took less of a hands on approach since his move to Guernsey and just with age- could be wrong.

That bit is very interesting though- the bolded bit- then again, agents and transfer policy can pay off somewhat but Im unsure about the signing sanctioning- depends if we're talking individuals or wages really, clearly the latter might need highup sign off? Maybe it's also increasingly the way of the modern game, would be interesting to see how clubs do it.

Stick, for now. Two big home games coming up. Two unconvincing performances, or fail to win both and I think it's time to shake hands and move on.

That's not to say LJ hasn't been a success, he's guided us from near the bottom of the Championship near the top in incremental improvements which is no mean feat, but the players look clueless at the moment and you start to wonder whether another manager would give Eliasson quite so much time to watch his team-mates from the bench, for instance.

I chose stick because I don’t want us to sack him with no plan, or just get any old replacement in.

he has shown he can (eventually) turn around a streak and we are better placed than this time last season so if he does turn it around then we still have a season to salvage. Recent performances against WBA and Fulham prove we CAN perform so we’re not a complete lost cause right now

11 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Anything to do with Williams arrival?

No. Williams has been a model pro in the dressing room.

Players are feeling they are not being allowed to play to their strengths by instruction and is detrimental to the team and morale.

Attempts have been made to circumvent the 'chain of command' and relay these concerns, but at the moment, nobody wants to listen or act, leading to more frustration.

Calling players out by name has not gone down well with some, whilst the person instructing those players to play in a certain way that is not their natural style, has been up to now, exempt from scrutiny from above.

And there has been no sign of that changing as of this moment.

12 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Stickig for now but five winnable games are coming up. Less than three wins from now up until 5pm on the day of the Barnsley fixture and I supect I will vote the other way.

Wasn’t the last four games winnable or at least 2 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss which would of netted 7 points out of 12.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Wasn’t the last four games winnable or at least 2 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss which would of netted 7 points out of 12.

What is funny is our next two are at home so makes them less winnable ? 

Think Luton might actually be the tougher game for us. They are fighting for points and expect that will be a tough one. Whereas Brentford our guys will probably have that underdog mentality and come out firing. At least based off the last few years. Anyway, the Luton game scares me a bit because AG will turn quickly if they frustrate us. 

1 hour ago, gazza1982 said:

People said that the last time we went on a horrendous run but in truth it never happened.

Indeed. People constantly make the mistake of thinking that OTIB and other social media sources are representative of the wider fanbase, when they really aren't.

I guarantee that there will be not nearly as much clamour for changing manager amongst those in the ground as there is on here, not even close.

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

This is what makes the situation a lot more frustrating. We could beat our winless streak under LJ again and nothing would likely come of it 

So you think only 13 points above the relegation play off positions is good. It is frustrating and very disappointing as 4 losses on a trot is not good and many are making excuses on psychology which is crap. The players are paid good money to perform. Excuses that we are waiting until the transfer window in January is now getting a bit thin. I hope SL wakes up from his nightmare tomorrow and makes a decision that will make City supporters happy and optimistic 

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Indeed. People constantly make the mistake of thinking that OTIB and other social media sources are representative of the wider fanbase, when they really aren't.

I guarantee that there will be not nearly as much clamour for changing manager amongst those in the ground as there is on here, not even close.

Really? Every supporter I know in person said they’d like a change. I guess it’s different for everyone. Maybe they’re just not that vocal about it at the ground 

I’ll be surprised if there’s no loud boos if things go badly vs Luton 

13 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Right , putting aside that anything that we think is pointless, until Steve Lansdown runs out of patience, what I think is the likely scenario.

Johnson will get until the end of the season to have a go. I think he will be supported in January and also given an idea that promotion has to be the goal. If he then falls short of even playoffs, he will be moved on. While we have improved every year, we still throw away good positions by these ridiculous loosing runs. With the Rugby and Basketball doing well, I've no doubt he (Lansdown) would like to get promoted. I also think it has made sense to give the Manager a chance to build over time, chopping and changing rarely works (unless you're Watford). BUT, there has to come a time when ambition has to come over loyalty. 

Exactly how I see it. 

25 minutes ago, City oz said:

So you think only 13 points above the relegation play off positions is good. It is frustrating and very disappointing as 4 losses on a trot is not good and many are making excuses on psychology which is crap. The players are paid good money to perform. Excuses that we are waiting until the transfer window in January is now getting a bit thin. I hope SL wakes up from his nightmare tomorrow and makes a decision that will make City supporters happy and optimistic 

Or you could look at it as 5 points off the play-offs? 

24 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Really? Every supporter I know in person said they’d like a change. I guess it’s different for everyone. Maybe they’re just not that vocal about it at the ground 

I’ll be surprised if there’s no loud boos if things go badly vs Luton 

There will be boos if we lose to Luton but that would happen if we were in the middle of a good run. The truth is the fans inside the ground have never been that vocal in the past about getting LJ sacked. 

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

No. Williams has been a model pro in the dressing room.

Players are feeling they are not being allowed to play to their strengths by instruction and is detrimental to the team and morale.

Attempts have been made to circumvent the 'chain of command' and relay these concerns, but at the moment, nobody wants to listen or act, leading to more frustration.

Calling players out by name has not gone down well with some, whilst the person instructing those players to play in a certain way that is not their natural style, has been up to now, exempt from scrutiny from above.

And there has been no sign of that changing as of this moment.

Interesting, very interesting.  So the restrictive, turgid, uninspiring play is a message from LJ?  He actually wants us to play sh!t!?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Each to their own of course, however.

This is an interesting statement and possibly one that fails to take account of many factors. That bit aside, I'm assuming you didn't enjoy a fair chunk of the era referred to/described below?

I can only assume you were away for the steady then in some ways thrilling rise from bottom of League One September 2005 and indeed rock bottom in December 2005, up to top 2/top 3 of the Championship about 2 years later! Was brilliant...a great feelgood factor around the ground and our highest League position in a generation.

Throw in a good JPT Cup run and an FA Cup run-  then a near miss vs Man City when they were starting to get alright under Sven in 2007, and some notable scalps in the League and it certainly was not a bad 3-4 years under GJ!!

That's before we even debate the standards and the differences in these when comparing eras.

Quite true Mr P. Was living in Malaga enjoying Spanish La Liga, Barca, Real etc, kept up to date on Satellite but missed the action at the gate from 2005 -2009

Contrast with the Rugby Club. SL got one of The best and most respected Coaches in the game and started from there. City are not going to attract anywhere like that level but could attract a manager with experience and technical / tactical noise with our evidence of backing a manager and giving time. However we would be back to starting a project again. I have a feeling the current project has hit its zenith. 

4 hours ago, City oz said:

Indeed. But LJ had credit in the bank based on last season, gradual improvements over recent years and our good start to the season, at least in terms of results.

His credit is fast running out on recent results. I’m not one for a snap decision based on four losses but improvement has to start now.

I also don’t believe the board are as patient  with LJ as others think. They will give him a bit of time to turn it round but I suspect not as long as some expect.

18 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Contrast with the Rugby Club. SL got one of The best and most respected Coaches in the game and started from there. City are not going to attract anywhere like that level but could attract a manager with experience and technical / tactical noise with our evidence of backing a manager and giving time. However we would be back to starting a project again. I have a feeling the current project has hit its zenith. 

My bold: I've believed this for a while.  We have had peak LJ. Thanks for all he's done but time for a change if we are serious about improving. We'll just go round in circles if he remains here.  Time to be bold and appoint someone with the nous to take us to that next level.  

30 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Absolutely. Critically though, welded a team with power, pace and passion. 

No rugby fan, but having watched Exeter,  the first time Bristol got promoted you could see the team were going to be out muscled/fought in the Premiership. 

The new Coach recognised our weakness and sorted it. 

Why the hell doesn’t SL compare and contrast the football team with the rugby team and learn lessons. Surely part of the Bristol Sport ‘project’ is applying learning across the sports. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I could be wrong too but I always thought our decline in the Championship to bottom of League One, kicked in when SL took less of a hands on approach and handed over more responsibility to JL. Coincidence or not, it didn't seem ideal...

I thought SL took less of a hands on approach since his move to Guernsey and just with age- could be wrong.

That bit is very interesting though- the bolded bit- then again, agents and transfer policy can pay off somewhat but Im unsure about the signing sanctioning- depends if we're talking individuals or wages really, clearly the latter might need highup sign off? Maybe it's also increasingly the way of the modern game, would be interesting to see how clubs do it.

I think the job MA has done at this club is very understated. I know many of our fans dont like him, hes certainly not everyone's cup of tea but he has turned this club into a solid Championship club, there is no getting away from that.

SL knew jack all about running a football club, he made some huge mistakes over the years. 

The greatest signing SL ever made was MA, someone that knows football and the industry inside out. Before MA arrived I always said SL needed a football man to run the club as it was clear SL had neither the expertise or the desire to run the club on a full time basis. 

I think I can remember a MA interview where he said SL ultimately signs off on the signings but he has never said no. Something was said about how SL has created an environment so that MA knows what the budget is, knows what kind of players SL wants us to bring in, knows what ponds to fish in and he and LJ work to those parameters so when they do present a potential signing to SL he ultimately signs it off as he knows the due process that he demands has been followed. 

Would love to know the true dynamic between MA and LJ.

We've heard stuff in the past that MA was controlling recruitment, but then we hear LJ saying he has final say (before it goes to SL for sign-off).  Recruitment appeared to have been improving, but we are seeing too many players not getting minutes.

Yesterday I heard more stuff about LJ and MA.

I don’t know how true it is, but for me, the squad is good enough for top 6.  LJ picks the team, the system, makes the subs etc.  Saying MA is to blame sounds massively buck-passing to me.  And I’m not MA’s biggest fan either.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would love to know the true dynamic between MA and LJ.

We've heard stuff in the past that MA was controlling recruitment, but then we hear LJ saying he has final say (before it goes to SL for sign-off).  Recruitment appeared to have been improving, but we are seeing too many players not getting minutes.

Yesterday I heard more stuff about LJ and MA.

I don’t know how true it is, but for me, the squad is good enough for top 6.  LJ picks the team, the system, makes the subs etc.  Saying MA is to blame sounds massively buck-passing to me.  And I’m not MA’s biggest fan either.

Come on Dave, you can't just leave that there and not elaborate on it ?

Archived