IGNORED

Message to SL

Langford Red

If SL gives LJ the boot - he will just appoint another yes man.

SL likes being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and promotion is not a consideration. 

Every year, at the same time, our form drops off, and we do not strengthen in January.

So it will be this year.

No promotion until the club is sold - or rather the land for housing is bought and the club comes with it. 

A big factor in when SL sells will be the strength of demand for the new apartments and offices.

This is a test run, with a surprisingly large number of interested parties waiting in the wind.

The guy has spent chump change (to him) to buy everything the club once owned plus land, land and more land.

If you do the maths (use a calculator because the numbers are huge) - the amount SL has put into Bristol Sport is comparable to £25 per year for the average worker.

Let that sink in - he has put in peanuts (in his world) and owns 3 clubs, 2 stadiums, 2 x office blocks, 3 apt blocks, 100's of houses already being built and acres of building land. 1 hotel with PP for another, plus a train line which just needs the right shove to be re-opened.Plus shops, all the food and drink outlets and a £5m+ and growing non-sport income from AG.

Add more open-air concerts, weekly indoor events at the Flyers stadium (who builds a state of the art arena for UK basketball...concerts and conventions is what its for), bigger shopping outlets, more office space and lots more housing.

SL is the 10th richest man in the UK by NOT throwing money down the drain. The Football club is just for fun.

This was always the plan - hatched a long time ago, and the endgame is near.

Fried Rice or Hot Dogs?

6 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Sorry Steve 

But as long as LJ is in charge. You will never see Prem football at Ashton Gate

He does not know his best team 

Changes the team week in week out

His excuses are boring now!!!!!

I do not trust him in this Transfer window?

Get a man who knows this league

He has had long enough

Time for progression and to move on like all successful teams do

Lets face it... LJ's job is safe.

The premier league under SL, is not on the agenda..

SL is quite content to stay as we are , the word  (excuse)  is sustainability.

Safe yes, but prone to being more than a little frustrating,.

This is how Johnson could be sacked...

Lose at home to Luton by the odd goal, then with the pressure on, Brentford smash 6 past us in a total humiliation. 

Then, with 6 successive defeats, 7 out of 9, and a noteworthy drubbing, Lansdown would have no choice.

I mean, I except us to beat Luton, then lose  narrowly to Brentford, but if you told me the above happened, I'd not be stunned.

6 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Signings have been shocking. Is that ashton or Johnson?

I'd disagree.

What I would say is that it appears that he is increasingly incapable of managing those from above his playing level, or expertise dare I say?

I say managing- maybe that's an exaggeration- but creating a setup that gets the best out of them, let alone consistently, seems to be a big problem for him!

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd disagree.

What I would say is that it appears that he is increasingly incapable of managing those from above his playing level, or expertise dare I say?

I say managing- maybe that's an exaggeration- but creating a setup that gets the best out of them, let alone consistently, seems a big problem for him!

Odd isn't it? 

His father had similar issues managing above average/maverick players. 

Do think though his addiction to signing mini-mes in midfield is going to be his downfall. 

19 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Odd isn't it? 

His father had similar issues managing above average/maverick players. 

Do think though his addiction to signing mini-mes in midfield is going to be his downfall. 

Interesting,.

Are Nagy and Massengo Mini-Mes? Dunno...Massengo is from a top class academy in Monaco, Nagy is a solid midfielder for a reasonable national team and has Serie A experience.

Do you mean Mini-mes stylistically or physically? Because I'm unsure either is so relevant these days, at decent levels.

I don't think Brentford's midfield for example is land of the giants yet they're great to watch- as we may find out in under a week! 2 pts and 2 goals per game in the last 16, best form apart from WBA for 1/3 of a season now!

Leeds, Leeds- are they a bunch of 6 footers? Not sure! Bit of a mix probably but certainly not overwhelmingly so...

6 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Lets face it... LJ's job is safe.

The premier league under SL, is not on the agenda..

SL is quite content to stay as we are , the word  (excuse)  is sustainability.

Safe yes, but prone to being more than a little frustrating,.

Exactly this, we will carry on moaning and groaning, but most will do little about it apart from a few angry words; any signings/loans brought in the next window will just be "bedding in to the system"  excuses till the summer when "we go again"

42 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly this, we will carry on moaning and groaning, but most will do little about it apart from a few angry words; any signings/loans brought in the next window will just be "bedding in to the system"  excuses till the summer when "we go again"

You are right.

These phrases are becoming monotonous and tiresome.

11 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

LJ’s interviews are always the same. He talks about “our identity”, But I haven’t the slightest clue as to what our identity is. Or he goes on to single out individuals for errors. 

I saw the other day he mentioned that we haven’t had a proper striker since Kodjia or Tammy. How many transfer windows has he had to put this right?

LJ rarely takes responsibility for his own mistakes and instead passes the blame.

There are a number of factors that are hard to understand from a fans point of view:

- Our most creative player is regularly placed on the bench. Limited to minimal time on the pitch but yet is (mostly) effective each time he is playing.

- Reluctance to drop our bigger names when they are not performing well. Brownhill seems to do no wrong in LJ’s eyes but it’s clear to see he is out of form. Whether he is aware of January interest is up for debate.

- COD obsession, what LJ see’s is beyond me. A player who has 1 good game in every 10. Beats a player and then does a full circle with the ball and ends up with the player to beat again. Finishing is poor and assists are low.

- Home form is woeful. Any side looking to make a promotion push should have a solid foundation with their home form. Yet we look like we set up to play for a draw.

- Teams with smaller budgets overtaking us. Teams like Preston work within a tiny budget but look to be miles ahead of us. LJ and co are given a hefty budget each year, albeit from key player sells but spend it wildly (some good additions but also lots of player who are squad additions). We need more spending on players such a Dasilva, Kalas and Bentley who will be key components of our side.

-Would love to see us go for real quality over quantity each window. LJ often comes out and says that we only want a couple of deals. But come the end of the window we often have 7/8 new faces. Palmer/Szmodics is a prime example of this, why both? Adelakun, Szmodics, Bakinson, Watkins, Rodri all sparingly make our match day squad. 

The wages spent there and the fees could have got us one player of real quality in this league to make the difference. 

Is working for LJ a big enough attraction for the top players in this league? I would argue NO! 

- I get the impression that LJ struggles to manage experienced players who have played to a high standard. The Wilbs interview highlighted an arrogance LJ possesses. Tomlin didn’t work out (can understand that one), seems the likes of Ayling, Freeman, Bryan and Reid all felt that they could achieve more elsewhere. Where it seems that LJ often seems to go down the route of talented youngsters from youth teams of the bigger clubs who are more likely to listen to his every word instead of challenging decisions. Or targets players from lower leagues who haven’t experienced this standard of football before. Only my opinion, anyone else agree?

For us to make real progression in this league we need to be looking elsewhere. I’ve seen a few mention Chris Hughton’s name on here, and struggle to think of any reasons not to peruse this. I would be highly confident that if he was to take a job in this division his side would finish higher than us next season. 

You make some excellent points, AR. You mention teams with smaller budgets look to be miles ahead, which I do agree. You can also add in Brentford, who for me are a perfect example. Year on year they seem to produce outstanding results, and their scouting system is exceptional.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting,.

Are Nagy and Massengo Mini-Mes? Dunno...Massengo is from a top class academy in Monaco, Nagy is a solid midfielder for a reasonable national team and has Serie A experience.

Do you mean Mini-mes stylistically or physically? Because I'm unsure either is so relevant these days, at decent levels.

I don't think Brentford's midfield for example is land of the giants yet they're great to watch- as we may find out in under a week! 2 pts and 2 goals per game in the last 16, best form apart from WBA for 1/3 of a season now!

Leeds, Leeds- are they a bunch of 6 footers? Not sure! Bit of a mix probably but certainly not overwhelmingly so...

A bit of both, but predominantly I meant physically. Both Nagy and Hano are what I would describe as ‘lightweights’. 

You look across our midfield player options and they could all be moonlighting at Newmarket if there were a shortage of jockeys! All far too easy to overpower/out muscle by more physical teams - particularly in wet, windy and cold conditions which aren’t perfect for our ‘lightweights’ (did I see someone refer to LJ on Radio Bristol mentioning the cold - kind of proves the point if so) . Comes back to my view that if we want to play tippy tappy, fast, fluent football in this division we need to have the very best practitioners of that style, everyone needs to be on the same hymn sheet and on top form. As much as I would like to see this style of football, it’s a big ask...and one of that little olde Bristol City can’t deliver I fear.

The difference between me and LJ is that he thinks he can coach/drill that level of performance and consistency into players. I don’t and my evidence is the our regular collapses in form and the results against  more physical ‘power-play’ teams. 

All our worries will be laid to rest soon mind.... Pato’s likely to return from (the) Derby! 

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

If SL gives LJ the boot - he will just appoint another yes man.

SL likes being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and promotion is not a consideration. 

Every year, at the same time, our form drops off, and we do not strengthen in January.

So it will be this year.

No promotion until the club is sold - or rather the land for housing is bought and the club comes with it. 

A big factor in when SL sells will be the strength of demand for the new apartments and offices.

This is a test run, with a surprisingly large number of interested parties waiting in the wind.

The guy has spent chump change (to him) to buy everything the club once owned plus land, land and more land.

If you do the maths (use a calculator because the numbers are huge) - the amount SL has put into Bristol Sport is comparable to £25 per year for the average worker.

Let that sink in - he has put in peanuts (in his world) and owns 3 clubs, 2 stadiums, 2 x office blocks, 3 apt blocks, 100's of houses already being built and acres of building land. 1 hotel with PP for another, plus a train line which just needs the right shove to be re-opened.Plus shops, all the food and drink outlets and a £5m+ and growing non-sport income from AG.

Add more open-air concerts, weekly indoor events at the Flyers stadium (who builds a state of the art arena for UK basketball...concerts and conventions is what its for), bigger shopping outlets, more office space and lots more housing.

SL is the 10th richest man in the UK by NOT throwing money down the drain. The Football club is just for fun.

This was always the plan - hatched a long time ago, and the endgame is near.

Fried Rice or Hot Dogs?

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are talking absolute ******* rubbish!!!

16 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Sorry Steve 

He has had long enough

SL won't listen to fans because this is his "project" and his ego ( he is entitled to one incidentally) won't allow him to accept that he has got it badly wrong with his man. He may take notice if despite official attendances being around the 20k mark, match day revenue indicates 13-14,000 instead. The number in the ground versus Luton, which isn't an attractive match anyway, will be interesting to behold.

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

A bit of both, but predominantly I meant physically. Both Nagy and Hano are what I would describe as ‘lightweights’. 

You look across our midfield player options and they could all be moonlighting at Newmarket if there were a shortage of jockeys! All far too easy to overpower/out muscle by more physical teams - particularly in wet, windy and cold conditions which aren’t perfect for our ‘lightweights’ (did I see someone refer to LJ on Radio Bristol mentioning the cold - kind of proves the point if so) . Comes back to my view that if we want to play tippy tappy, fast, fluent football in this division we need to have the very best practitioners of that style, everyone needs to be on the same hymn sheet and on top form. As much as I would like to see this style of football, it’s a big ask...and one of that little olde Bristol City can’t deliver I fear.

The difference between me and LJ is that he thinks he can coach/drill that level of performance and consistency into players. I don’t and my evidence is the our regular collapses in form and the results against  more physical ‘power-play’ teams. 

All our worries will be laid to rest soon mind.... Pato’s likely to return from (the) Derby! 

Interesting argument. 

Was going through a few teams yesterday (briefly) and I don't see that great height and physicality in evidence in many of the top sides!

Granted wiki or Sofascore might give some wrong details but it's worth a look, for comparisons sake at West Brom, Leeds, Brentford, Fulham and us! Especially at midfield and wide players.

All of them play nice football - Fulham are underachieving granted. Maybe our issue is a lack of correct pressing to go with some of this.

Now we can make a case that WBA and Leeds are both better and with better managers than us, Fulham have better players only. Brentford though. What's their secret?

They play like and generally compete on pretty equal terms with the first three, yet their budget much lower and markedly than us.

Sorry Steve 

He has had long enough

If LJ didn’t get sacked three years ago, he’s certainly not going to get sacked now. It doesn’t matter how many threads are started on forums, or posts on social media.

Our business during the upcoming transfer window will be pivotal to how the rest of the season pans out. If SL does decide a change is needed, it will not be until the end of the season IMHO.

What bamboozles me is when steve craved the bristol bears in the premiership he went out and got aguably one of the best coaches in the world of rugby pat lam and succsess was almost instant he craves the same for the football and yet persists with lj and a team of coaches with nothing on there cvs between them iam not confident me or steve will ever see this dream come true in our life times

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

If LJ didn’t get sacked three years ago, he’s certainly not going to get sacked now. It doesn’t matter how many threads are started on forums, or posts on social media.

Our business during the upcoming transfer window will be pivotal to how the rest of the season pans out. If SL does decide a change is needed, it will not be until the end of the season IMHO.

I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure he would outlast another 10-11 game losing run this time, purely because the expectations of the club/owner have increased since then (in SL's own words). Even if it were a temporary change to allow Jamie Mac or Dean Holden to see out the rest of the season, imo there isn't that level of patience anymore. 

4 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Not so sure myself. Three years ago, LJ got off the hook on the basis he was an up and coming Manager who needed time and experience and - although this was never confirmed - I suspect due to issues he had inherited with the culture of the staff and dressing room meaning some individuals were not pulling in the same direction as him.

Nowadays he has three years more experience and he has presumably been involved in all the transfers and staffing appointments. I don’t think there are sufficient mitigating factors to excuse a similar losing streak a second time around. 

@Red Army 87 @LondonBristolian Excellent points gents, let’s hope we don’t get to the point where a sustained losing streak gives SL a decision to make.

I just think that LJ is integral to SL’s vision of buying young players and looking to sell them on at a big profit. I can’t see many bigger name managers wanting to work within those parameters.

No doubt that if we get two poor results out of the upcoming home games then the pressure on LJ will only intensify.

Archived