IGNORED

Managerial Alternatives

bcfcnick

If a vacancy arises of course.  I like LJ but I think alternatives have to be considered for three  reasons:-

1) Season after season there is an inevitable succession of poor results accompanied by dismal football.   Home and away the team is set up to start as if we are a lower league team with a defensive mindset trying to steal a win. There is the impression that LJ stumbles across a winning streak formula more by accident than design.

2) The odd tactics of a  back 5 protected by a midfield 3 instructed to protect the three centre backs results in two stranded forwards getting zero service or chasing scraps where gaining or retaining possession is against the odds. It just isn't a recipe for consistent success or attractive football.

3) A bloated squad with a failure to get the best out of players that were recruited under LJ and were far from cheap punts.  

In fairness LJ got the best out of Joe Bryan, Aden Flint, Lloyd Kelly and Bobby Reid but he inherited them rather than bought them in. So has he guided Mark Ashton well in terms of recruitment?  Adam Webster was a great bit of recruitment but there is a long list of players who have disappointed.  Are they failing due to being poor signings or because LJ isn't getting the best out of them?  Undoubtedly there have been some wasteful signings but I think with the likes of Nagy and Palmer I think it's team set-up and the way they are instructed to play. 

Palmer driving forward in the opponents half is a danger to the opposition,  but picking up possession in front of our three centre backs then he's a danger to us. If players are going to be picked they need to be played in positions that play to their strengths rather than areas that expose their weaknesses.

Three potential managerial candidates ...

Chris Hughton  -  the sort of character who would appeal to SL but would CH be tempted? Probably depends on whether he would be pledged the resources  to make him confident he could get back into the Premiership and replicate what he did with Newcastle and Brighton.

Slavisa Jankovitch  - wouldn't necessarily sort out the poor defence but it's been shown that attacking intent with the right recruitment can get teams dominating the Championship

Richie Wellens -  not proven at this level but if it's a case of choosing a distinctly average and experienced manager at Championship level then I'd rather take a chance on up and coming manager / coach who plays entetrtaining attacking football.

Interested in the choices of others ...

1 minute ago, bcfcnick said:

If a vacancy arises of course.  I like LJ but I think alternatives have to be considered for three  reasons:-

1) Season after season there is an inevitable succession of poor results accompanied by dismal football.   Home and away the team is set up to start as if we are a lower league team with a defensive mindset trying to steal a win. There is the impression that LJ stumbles across a winning streak formula more by accident than design.

2) The odd tactics of a  back 5 protected by a midfield 3 instructed to protect the three centre backs results in two stranded forwards getting zero service or chasing scraps where gaining or retaining possession is against the odds. It just isn't a recipe for consistent success or attractive football.

3) A bloated squad with a failure to get the best out of players that were recruited under LJ and were far from cheap punts.  

In fairness LJ got the best out of Joe Bryan, Aden Flint, Lloyd Kelly and Bobby Reid but he inherited them rather than bought them in. So has he guided Mark Ashton well in terms of recruitment?  Adam Webster was a great bit of recruitment but there is a long list of players who have disappointed.  Are they failing due to being poor signings or because LJ isn't getting the best out of them?  Undoubtedly there have been some wasteful signings but I think with the likes of Nagy and Palmer I think it's team set-up and the way they are instructed to play. 

Palmer driving forward in the opponents half is a danger to the opposition,  but picking up possession in front of our three centre backs then he's a danger to us. If players are going to be picked they need to be played in positions that play to their strengths rather than areas that expose their weaknesses.

Three potential managerial candidates ...

Chris Hughton  -  the sort of character who would appeal to SL but would CH be tempted? Probably depends on whether he would be pledged the resources  to make him confident he could get back into the Premiership and replicate what he did with Newcastle and Brighton.

Slavisa Jankovitch  - wouldn't necessarily sort out the poor defence but it's been shown that attacking intent with the right recruitment can get teams dominating the Championship

Richie Wellens -  not proven at this level but if it's a case of choosing a distinctly average and experienced manager at Championship level then I'd rather take a chance on up and coming manager / coach who plays entetrtaining attacking football.

Interested in the choices of others ...

Good suggestions. I’d add Tim Sherwood and Quique Sanches Flores. Both talented with a point to prove.

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

Any suggestions of your own?

Any suggestions of your own?

No , personally I would keep LJ to the summer and if we don't get to the play offs I think I would get rid of him, I certainly wouldn't suggest Richie wellens as an alternative!!!

Archived