IGNORED

Psychologist

Dr Balls

Anybody know if the club employs a Sports Psychologist?

If so, what the hell has he/she been saying to the players?

If not, there are at least 11 players, and probably more who look like they could do with one. Form may be temporary and class is permanent, but too many players are severely underperforming at the moment, and with fine margins in this division that can be the difference between pushing for the playoffs or staring at a relegation battle. It may well not be helped by changing selections and formations, but whatever LJ is saying to the players, it isn’t working either.

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Anybody know if the club employs a Sports Psychologist?

Search Bill Beswick Bristol City.

If so, what the hell has he/she been saying to the players?

Without being privy to the confidential posters would have to guess.

. It may well not be helped by changing selections and formations,

It would be generally accepted it is a not.

but too many players are severely underperforming at the moment, and with fine margins in this division that can be the difference between pushing for the playoffs or staring at a relegation battle. 

Underperforming yes. Severely underperforming suggests there is improvement to be made beyond a fine margin. A psychologist cannot help players to become what they are not realistically going to be.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Search Bill Beswick Bristol City.

Without being privy to the confidential posters would have to guess.

It would be generally accepted it is a not.

Underperforming yes. Severely underperforming suggests there is improvement to be made beyond a fine margin. A psychologist cannot help players to become what they are not realistically going to be.

Spoken like a psychologist!

What is clear is that confidence among the players is low for whatever reason, and many are not playing to their potential. LJ’s man management may be the most significant factor, given his reputation for streaky form both losing and winning, but you would hope that a psychologist might be able to help to some degree. Or perhaps he already is, and things might be even worse without him!

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

I have qualifications in psychology ..

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

What is clear is that confidence among the players is low for whatever reason, and many are not playing to their potential. LJ’s man management may be the most significant factor, given his reputation for streaky form both losing and winning, but you would hope that a psychologist might be able to help to some degree. Or perhaps he already is, and things might be even worse without him!

Some degree is not necessarily the degree people want. We (fans) expect players to be 100%, to be robots, they are not. If an individual is in the wrong environment that person is highly unlikely to fulfil their potential. That is how humans work.  

I am not expecting players to play at 100% all the time. That would be great but I agree is unrealistic. However the simple mistakes that they are regularly making is an issue. That suggests a lack of confidence either in themselves or what they are being asked to do.

Some players are not affected by adversity and keep “battling through”, which in many parts of life may not be the right answer, but at least demonstrates effort to spectators as a will to compete (Rowe and to an extent Weimann come to mind), while for a quite a few others you can see their heads drop as soon as anything goes wrong, as they are low on self-confidence, which is not good for an “elite” sportsperson.

On another thread it has been suggested that LJ overcoaching the players with his tactics is an issue, and I have to wonder if some of the players feel stifled by having to play in a way which is not natural or comfortable for them, hence the dips in form from players we know can do much better. That also might explain the supposed curse of “Ashton Gate” where good players “lose their talent” on walking through the door only to mysteriously find it again on leaving!

I'm sure it's something the club look at.

Even LJ himself said that some of the players are getting a bit anxious because they're in and out of the squad so often.  I guess it's just a mystery and difficult to identify who's responsible for that..

9 minutes ago, Roe said:

I'm sure it's something the club look at.

Even LJ himself said that some of the players are getting a bit anxious because they're in and out of the squad so often.  I guess it's just a mystery and difficult to identify who's responsible for that..

The "Tombola Kid" strikes again ?

14 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I am not expecting players to play at 100% all the time. That would be great but I agree is unrealistic. However the simple mistakes that they are regularly making is an issue. That suggests a lack of confidence either in themselves or what they are being asked to do.

Some players are not affected by adversity and keep “battling through”, which in many parts of life may not be the right answer, but at least demonstrates effort to spectators as a will to compete (Rowe and to an extent Weimann come to mind), while for a quite a few others you can see their heads drop as soon as anything goes wrong, as they are low on self-confidence, which is not good for an “elite” sportsperson.

On another thread it has been suggested that LJ overcoaching the players with his tactics is an issue, and I have to wonder if some of the players feel stifled by having to play in a way which is not natural or comfortable for them, hence the dips in form from players we know can do much better. That also might explain the supposed curse of “Ashton Gate” where good players “lose their talent” on walking through the door only to mysteriously find it again on leaving!

If I answered all of that it would be a excessively long post. 

You are identifying real and normal whys. One I mention being key skills v tasks and confidence.

Bristol City s player are elite v the normal populace they are not as pro players. Fans expectations are frequently unrealistic in regards to improvement.

Any sports psychologist would look at the team make up as well as each individual -- or they may be two different professional psychologists. Whoever it is would quickly understand the need for any team to work well together and improve performance requires stability and not constant change. What is our best team. Lets stick with that for starters!!

Archived