IGNORED

“Identity”

AshtonRobin21

The “Identity” that LJ so often mentions is telly starting to irritate me. I struggle to work out what our identity is. With constant formation changes our style of play seems to be highly inconsistent.

- In the Sheffield Wednesday game. Bar the one chance early on (Easier for COD to score than miss), we looked so defensive and couldn’t string a pass together. 

This often happens at home matches as well which is where we should be controlling the game. But often we look like we are the team looking for a quick counter attack to steal the points. 

- Each game I have no clue as to what our system or ‘Identity’ is. Some weeks we play with a number 10 and other times we don't even have one on the bench. In my opinion if we are playing with a 10 (Kasey), then you need to mould the side around them. You look at Leeds (Hernandez) and West Brom (Periera) their build up play is suited to these players and often they play the key final ball. We seem to lack that and it’s likely due to tinkering with the side and formation each week which removes any hope of consistency and familiarity to the system. 

- Often it seems as though LJ worries to much about minimising the other teams strengths as opposed to implementing our own. We go into some games (Millwall, West Brom) and we look so worried about the strengths that we possess that we don’t ever look to get going ourselves.

- D.N.A - I understand that this is to stop us signing players with bad attitudes or off field issues, however it also seems to me that we end up signing an awful lot of YES men. We lack a nasty element to our game, we seem too nice and roll over too easily. The Sheff Weds loss came down to gamesmanship on their part and they eventually won over the referee. We rarely win pens ourselves and that’s because we aren’t streetwise enough to play those games. It’s not great to watch but it is effective especially in close fought games. 

My main concern is that LJ has transferred his own style of play from his playing career into this side:

* Too many simple passes in a tight area of the pitch which eventually leads to a mistake.

* No key forward passes to split the opposition defence. Kasey seems to be the only one who attempts this. 

* Midfield seem content to sit in as opposed to drive forward. 

* The lack of a runner up front is leading to midfield passing themselves into trouble and squandering possession. 

25 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The “Identity” that LJ so often mentions is telly starting to irritate me. I struggle to work out what our identity is. With constant formation changes our style of play seems to be highly inconsistent.

- In the Sheffield Wednesday game. Bar the one chance early on (Easier for COD to score than miss), we looked so defensive and couldn’t string a pass together. 

This often happens at home matches as well which is where we should be controlling the game. But often we look like we are the team looking for a quick counter attack to steal the points. 

- Each game I have no clue as to what our system or ‘Identity’ is. Some weeks we play with a number 10 and other times we don't even have one on the bench. In my opinion if we are playing with a 10 (Kasey), then you need to mould the side around them. You look at Leeds (Hernandez) and West Brom (Periera) their build up play is suited to these players and often they play the key final ball. We seem to lack that and it’s likely due to tinkering with the side and formation each week which removes any hope of consistency and familiarity to the system. 

- Often it seems as though LJ worries to much about minimising the other teams strengths as opposed to implementing our own. We go into some games (Millwall, West Brom) and we look so worried about the strengths that we possess that we don’t ever look to get going ourselves.

- D.N.A - I understand that this is to stop us signing players with bad attitudes or off field issues, however it also seems to me that we end up signing an awful lot of YES men. We lack a nasty element to our game, we seem too nice and roll over too easily. The Sheff Weds loss came down to gamesmanship on their part and they eventually won over the referee. We rarely win pens ourselves and that’s because we aren’t streetwise enough to play those games. It’s not great to watch but it is effective especially in close fought games. 

My main concern is that LJ has transferred his own style of play from his playing career into this side:

* Too many simple passes in a tight area of the pitch which eventually leads to a mistake.

* No key forward passes to split the opposition defence. Kasey seems to be the only one who attempts this. 

* The lack of a runner up front is leading to midfield passing themselves into trouble and squandering possession. 

100% this

8 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Watch West Brom, watch Leeds, even watch Preston.  Their movement is done at pace and purpose.  I watched Leeds v Preston and Liverpool v Leicester last night.  Yeah I know it’s another level (in the Liv-Leic example), but firm passing, at pace, no need to check first, instinct or well drilled I don’t know but it was a joy to watch.  Even the pattern of play that goes RW > RB > CB1 > CB2 > LB was quick and opened up space for Robertson.  When we do it, inevitably it allows the opposition to get back in shape.

We look lost.

We haven’t always looked bad this season.  

Our identity is pass it around the back four, get it up to the wings, pass it around waiting for the opposition defence to part like the Red Sea so that we can pass it over the goal line and when that doesn’t happen (because all of the oppositions men are now behind the ball) we then pass it back to the defenders who pass sideways a few more times whilst trying to run down the clock before over-cooking it allowing the oppositions lone front man a clear run through on goal completely unchallenged to slot home and turn away in utter amazement that he has been given such a gift. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Watch West Brom, watch Leeds, even watch Preston.  Their movement is done at pace and purpose.  I watched Leeds v Preston and Liverpool v Leicester last night.  Yeah I know it’s another level (in the Liv-Leic example), but firm passing, at pace, no need to check first, instinct or well drilled I don’t know but it was a joy to watch.  Even the pattern of play that goes RW > RB > CB1 > CB2 > LB was quick and opened up space for Robertson.  When we do it, inevitably it allows the opposition to get back in shape.

We look lost.

Whilst we are particularly bad at the moment, I do think the constant TV coverage of the top teams does skew our expectations, yes, we know Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. are at a completely different level, but I’m sure since the advent of Sky, we have become more critical and impatient at players who are at the level they are, because they have limitations.

20 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Whilst we are particularly bad at the moment, I do think the constant TV coverage of the top teams does skew our expectations, yes, we know Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. are at a completely different level, but I’m sure since the advent of Sky, we have become more critical and impatient at players who are at the level they are, because they have limitations.

First couple of games with Nagy and Massengo all they wanted to do was try and drive us forward (everyone wondered how we got them), they seem to have been coached to take that good/exciting part away from their game.

We hardly have a bunch of limited players along the lines of some other teams in this league - yet constantly get outplayed by so called "worse" players/teams. It really does come down to the management imo.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We look lost.

Brentford and preston both play better football than us and its paying dividands.

Archived