IGNORED

“Identity”

AshtonRobin21

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Watch West Brom, watch Leeds, even watch Preston.  Their movement is done at pace and purpose.  I watched Leeds v Preston and Liverpool v Leicester last night.  Yeah I know it’s another level (in the Liv-Leic example), but firm passing, at pace, no need to check first, instinct or well drilled I don’t know but it was a joy to watch.  Even the pattern of play that goes RW > RB > CB1 > CB2 > LB was quick and opened up space for Robertson.  When we do it, inevitably it allows the opposition to get back in shape.

We look lost.

We haven’t always looked bad this season.  

At its best players enter flow states where they react instinctively due to recognising the pattern of play and its responses. It is rehearsed. Done again and again in training till it is internalised

On 27/12/2019 at 11:13, BRISTOL86 said:

Turgid

Lifeless

Limp

Pedestrian

Predictable

Dull

Pretty much sums up our identity in the last two years. 

Lot of people on social media now seem to be losing patience with LJ. Logging on to this forum, you know things must be bad when more people start agreeing with, or echoing ....my opinions 

I still find it bizarre the amount of fans who still seem to talk like this is the best we should accept as Bristol City fans. All I hear is "remember where we came from" etc....which really does frustrate me . Successful clubs want to keep getting better, demand improvement....and when i say improvement, I don't mean finishing a season 3 points better off then the year before 

I'd rather take a gamble on a new manager, like a Hughton or Moyes....and show some real intent. There's no guarantee it will work....but surely it's better then sticking with this manager and having another couple of years of what we just had 

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Lot of people on social media now seem to be losing patience with LJ. Logging on to this forum, you know things must be bad when more people start agreeing with, or echoing ....my opinions 

I still find it bizarre the amount of fans who still seem to talk like this is the best we should accept as Bristol City fans. All I hear is "remember where we came from" etc....which really does frustrate me . Successful clubs want to keep getting better, demand improvement....and when i say improvement, I don't mean finishing a season 3 points better off then the year before 

I'd rather take a gamble on a new manager, like a Hughton or Moyes....and show some real intent. There's no guarantee it will work....but surely it's better then sticking with this manager and having another couple of years of what we just had 

Agreed. 

I'd prefer to concentrate on our footballing ethos, entertainment value, our ability to get the best from the players we have. If we can achieve the latter we have succeeded. 

An over-emphasis on whether we are 2 places higher than last year is, for me, pretty meaningless and doesn't feature in my "have I enjoyed the season?" assessment at all. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

DNA, identity... However you want to dress it up, it's all a load of b*ll*cks. You either play the game well or you don't. It's as simple as that. 

If he was intelligent he'd realise we don't have an identity, and it's counter-productive - and mildly insulting to our intelligence - to keep on mentioning it. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

If he was intelligent he'd realise we don't have an identity, and it's counter-productive - and mildly insulting to our intelligence - to keep on mentioning it. 

I feel similar. It makes Mr Johnson look foolish.

You can't lose an identity. Then get it back. Then lose it.

The buzz words are the Emporers new clothes. It made Mr Johnson for a period look like a modern progressive coach till the lack of substance caught up with him.

He is making it up reactively as he goes along as many do. There is no big plan and philosophy that bears any scrutiny guiding Bristol City's football. The bullshit is unnecessary.

It's interesting that the people who are defending LJ still don't post on subjects like this. This in the main ( amongst other things) is the reason why some fans would like a change. It's not the last four results, it's the fact our football is  dire. We have no philosophy. We look completely clueless. And it doesnt look like improving. Look at Brentford, win,lose or draw you know how they will play.

Jealous of ******* Brentford.....is that really what its come too?!

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

We've been in positions of 1st and 2nd and fallen away I couldn't care where we have finished up because each season its been a case of totally bottling it. ..I can't honestly see what people see in him as a manager it's nothing personal but hes just boring he doesn't bring that energy that you need.. Chris wilder is my manager of the year hes had league 1 and championship players and been consistent!!

You are right we need new energy because I don't think Johnson can get the higher profile player to play at his best or even set them up to produce a good game.

He might get a win against Luton but it won't change my mind in anyway because it won't improve.

On 27/12/2019 at 11:02, AshtonRobin21 said:

My main concern is that LJ has transferred his own style of play from his playing career into this side:

* Too many simple passes in a tight area of the pitch which eventually leads to a mistake.

* No key forward passes to split the opposition defence. Kasey seems to be the only one who attempts this. 

* Midfield seem content to sit in as opposed to drive forward. 

* The lack of a runner up front is leading to midfield passing themselves into trouble and squandering possession. 

All very true and explains really why we rarely look even 'half decent' at home.  The above means we rarely 'work' an opposition keeper and I recall his old man GJ saying you know how well you've played by how you have worked the opposition keeper.  Our stats in many games are like 1 or 2 shots on target !  This is why the 'Our identity business' is meaningless words.  Let's think, how many games in last two seasons have we worked a keeper.  Stoke last season, Huddersfield this one perhaps ?  

I am not a LJ out man, or this and that, just want them to sort out my match day experience as being worth the day out. I would rather us lose a game having a go than watch turgid games like Millwall, Blackburn, Wigan and so on.

On 27/12/2019 at 21:06, Maesknoll Red said:

Whilst we are particularly bad at the moment, I do think the constant TV coverage of the top teams does skew our expectations, yes, we know Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. are at a completely different level, but I’m sure since the advent of Sky, we have become more critical and impatient at players who are at the level they are, because they have limitations.

We have all seen City play with speed, fluency and accuracy - note “seen” - past tense, it don’t happen any more, despite brilliant recruitment!

3 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Jealous of ******* Brentford.....is that really what its come too? Yes. City 0 Brentford 4

Better side than us- quite evident to anyone who watches Championship football regularly.

They're 3rd in the table for a reason! They matched and in parts outplayed WBA at the Hawthorns for a reason.

Not excusing today but once the early goal and red card came, it was going one way and one way only.

@Cowshed

Interested in your thoughts on this.

I see a lot on this forum about how we're weak and lack physicality. Well Brentford weren't exactly the land of the giants today. The early goal and 11 v 10 were possibly significant factors granted!

Suppose my question is, is the physicality element or lack (perceived or otherwise) such a strong factor for us, do you think?

I really think LJ believes we’re a passing team, when all we generally do is knock the ball around between the back four/five most of the time.  Once we get in threatening forward positions, our players often seem to suddenly lose any ability to find a team-mate if they’re more more than a couple of yards away and even within that range, they can often still find it easier to give it to an opposing player than their own. 

A shame he wasn’t already on a touchline ban today, as he would then have seen from the stands what a real passing side looks like!  None of the repetitive, cagy passing around the defence that we resort to regularly.  When Brentford’s defenders were on the ball, you could clearly see they were always looking to move the ball forwards quickly and had players ahead of them who were constantly on the move and in space to provide outlets and their pass accuracy was so much better than we’re used to with City.  I know we were a man down today, but Brentford generally have the beating of us, so even when we have 11 against 11, they usually look like they’ve got an extra man.

Their positive passing ethos seems to be drummed into their players; whatever their position on the pitch and hats off to them for that.  I always hate to see us get a dicking but have to admit Brentford are great to watch and they fully deserve any success they get for playing football the right way.

LJ really needs to stop banging on about our ‘identity’, because its laughable when you come up against a side with a real, rock solid identity that we saw today. After all his time in charge, we still haven’t got a bleedin clue what ours is, so maybe he should just come clean and admit we haven’t actually got one, except maybe careless, or fragile!

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Cowshed

Interested in your thoughts on this.

I see a lot on this forum about how we're weak and lack physicality. Well Brentford weren't exactly the land of the giants today. The early goal and 11 v 10 were possibly significant factors granted!

Suppose my question is, is the physicality element or lack (perceived or otherwise) such a strong factor for us, do you think?

Its a factor but it is a perception based upon what we view physicality as. Physical does not have to be crunching tackles it can be how space is controlled the way a team presses, drops to make its interventions. City's tempo out of possession is inconsistent, it lacks definition and fluency - A point of the topic. Identity is also what you do without the ball.  

For period in 2017 Mr Johnson mentioned busy Bees - Out of possession it was high tempo and aggressive , it was physical via lungs and energy without the need for bigger players putting weight about. 

2 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

A lot of clubs have tried to copy Pep. Unfortunately most have got it all wrong and play a slow and pointless possession game that just isn’t effective. There has been quite a few times this season when I think we are one of them.

Bristol City possession stats are below 50%. Nearly a third of passes are long balls. The pass accuracy is low at 73%. The Keepers is 54%. Average pass length is above average. 

Bristol City play even less like Man City out of possession.

Be assured If Lee Johnson is copying any team it is not Manchester City.

Archived