Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Taunton_BCFC

They don’t deserve us.....

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Over 21,000 sold for Sunday and I’d expect not many from Luton! Fair play everyone! Let’s raise the roof, until city bore us stupid........

Haven’t checked but Luton my surprise you... been travelling in numbers all over this season 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Over 21,000 sold for Sunday and I’d expect not many from Luton! Fair play everyone! Let’s raise the roof, until city bore us stupid........

There will be nowhere near 21,000 in the ground. We will be lucky to get over 17,000 I should think. (still over double the blue few average...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite my frustration with our abject manager and poor displays, the team have still been better than our home support this year.

The worst home support, man-for-man, since I've been going in the 80s.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Despite my frustration with our abject manager and poor displays, the team have still been better than our home support this year.

The worst home support, man-for-man, since I've been going in the 80s.

So you can imagine what the players attitude might be towards us, can't you?

Imagine being a player and reading this forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/12/2019 at 16:00, Taunton_BCFC said:

Over 21,000 sold for Sunday and I’d expect not many from Luton! Fair play everyone! Let’s raise the roof, until city bore us stupid........

What do you mean they don’t deserve us? Our home support has been poor because too many people are over reliant on Section 82, hopefully the whole ground will be bouncing tomorrow which will spur on the players, not holding out for much though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

So you can imagine what the players attitude might be towards us, can't you?

Imagine being a player and reading this forum.

If I'm a plumber I don't need my customer to encourage me to do a good job. If you're a pro, you perform. That's your job. 

The crowd just add that extra 2%, unless you're mentally flawed. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If I'm a plumber I don't need my customer to encourage me to do a good job. If you're a pro, you perform. That's your job. 

The crowd just add that extra 2%, unless you're mentally flawed. 

.....but if your customers said you were crap at your job (after doing the best you can do) and banded that around on social media, would you be happy to keep doing a top job for them?

You certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

.....but if your customers said you were crap at your job (after doing the best you can do) and banded that around on social media, would you be happy to keep doing a top job for them?

You certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

If I was crap, I'd expect them to tell me, yes. And their friends and neighbours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

.....but if your customers said you were crap at your job (after doing the best you can do) and banded that around on social media, would you be happy to keep doing a top job for them?

You certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

Especially when they’ve actually performed better than 75% of the competition....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If I was crap, I'd expect them to tell me, yes. And their friends and neighbours. 

There's a difference to you being crap and people saying you're crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly a year ago tomorrow we (eventually) beat 9 man Rotherham 1-0, starting a long winning run. I’m sure the mood was similarly bleak then, and if Rotherham had held out it could have got really nasty for Johnson.

Who’s to say tomorrow can’t be the start of another such run, against similarly lowly opposition? I’m as hacked off as anyone with the way it is at the moment, but I always want City to win. Would happily give it a miss tomorrow mind but the youngsters I take won’t let me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shelts said:

Debating  weather to go tomorrow . I used to love home games . Maybe if I don’t go the shackles will be off and we will play really well!!

The weather is going to be OK. I wouldn't worry about that, although the atmosphere is predicted to be "toxic"  

especially if they score first (or at all, probably)

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do they deserve? The sense of entitlement displayed by some fans is something that's really starting to grate - we have a nice stadium and 20,000 fans, therefore, we should be in the promotion places. What utter crap. 

Personally wouldn't mind if we lost a few of those fans, Ashton Gate was a happier place when it had 7 or 8 thousand people in, mates having a laugh and backing their team. Different times I know, but back then the expectations seemed more aligned to the reality of what our club actually is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

.....but if your customers said you were crap at your job (after doing the best you can do) and banded that around on social media, would you be happy to keep doing a top job for them?

You certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

It’s not the players getting the stick though! It’s LJ letting them and us down

COYR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

What do they deserve? The sense of entitlement displayed by some fans is something that's really starting to grate - we have a nice stadium and 20,000 fans, therefore, we should be in the promotion places. What utter crap. 

Personally wouldn't mind if we lost a few of those fans, Ashton Gate was a happier place when it had 7 or 8 thousand people in, mates having a laugh and backing their team. Different times I know, but back then the expectations seemed more aligned to the reality of what our club actually is. 

Well yeah exactly. There are lots of clubs with stadia and facilities plus infrastructure- as well as gates of course- similar to or above us at this level.

That said,  I do believe criticism or concern about the performance level is perfectly fair. Especially when some similar issues seem to be recurring (for me, 4-3-3 or a lack of a genuine and consistent one, hinders us for sure). However regardless of individual views, think most would agree that performance levels, something isn't quite right, hasn't been for a while. 

Would also add to an extent 10, 20 years ago even. Sure was more than 7-8k that you refer to but noise etc per head now than now? EastEnd had excellent acoustics which helped too, as well as proximity to away fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave36 said:

It’s not the players getting the stick though! It’s LJ letting them and us down

COYR

You say it's not the players getting the stick? These comments are all quite recent.....and there are many, many more.

Recent comments about Kalas
"What has happened to him? So bad again yesterday"
"Certainly doesn’t look like an 8 million quid centre half at the moment"


Recent comments about Palmer
"Palmer has not been good enough this season"
"KP has been absolutely shocking"
"Palmer hasn’t been very good and occasionally comes off the bench"


Recent comments about Baker
"Baker poor on ball and makes bad mistakes"
"He's been partly to blame for quite a number of goals imo"
"Baker is sound if you require him to head and kick a ball. Anything else, then you’ve got him scratching his head"
"I think him and Wright should be sold and we should look to upgrade"


Recent comments about O'Dowda
"I can’t get Callum O’Dowda out of my head. I’ll let you decide whether it’s for best or worst!"
"Cart horse, donkey, useless, crap, pathetic, ineffective."
"he really should be nowhere near the 1st team"
"the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever"
"Worst thing we ever did was handing him that pen"
"Complete waste of a squad player"
"Stealing a living - absolutely spineless excuse for a footballer"
"Get rid, he ain't interested"
"Reminds me of forest gump he’s only good at running"
"absolute disgrace of a footballer"
"How could a complete shite player like him hold us to ransom over a new contract? Get rid of him."
"Never rated him. Superficial player, seemingly narcissistic. Get rid"
"League 1 mid table player on a good day. Can’t believe he’s anywhere near a championship squad tbh. Dreadful"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

You say it's not the players getting the stick? These comments are all quite recent.....and there are many, many more.

Recent comments about Kalas
"What has happened to him? So bad again yesterday"
"Certainly doesn’t look like an 8 million quid centre half at the moment"


Recent comments about Palmer
"Palmer has not been good enough this season"
"KP has been absolutely shocking"
"Palmer hasn’t been very good and occasionally comes off the bench"


Recent comments about Baker
"Baker poor on ball and makes bad mistakes"
"He's been partly to blame for quite a number of goals imo"
"Baker is sound if you require him to head and kick a ball. Anything else, then you’ve got him scratching his head"
"I think him and Wright should be sold and we should look to upgrade"


Recent comments about O'Dowda
"I can’t get Callum O’Dowda out of my head. I’ll let you decide whether it’s for best or worst!"
"Cart horse, donkey, useless, crap, pathetic, ineffective."
"he really should be nowhere near the 1st team"
"the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever"
"Worst thing we ever did was handing him that pen"
"Complete waste of a squad player"
"Stealing a living - absolutely spineless excuse for a footballer"
"Get rid, he ain't interested"
"Reminds me of forest gump he’s only good at running"
"absolute disgrace of a footballer"
"How could a complete shite player like him hold us to ransom over a new contract? Get rid of him."
"Never rated him. Superficial player, seemingly narcissistic. Get rid"
"League 1 mid table player on a good day. Can’t believe he’s anywhere near a championship squad tbh. Dreadful"

The O'Dowda comment is perfectly fair tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

You say it's not the players getting the stick? These comments are all quite recent.....and there are many, many more.

Recent comments about Kalas
"What has happened to him? So bad again yesterday"
"Certainly doesn’t look like an 8 million quid centre half at the moment"


Recent comments about Palmer
"Palmer has not been good enough this season"
"KP has been absolutely shocking"
"Palmer hasn’t been very good and occasionally comes off the bench"


Recent comments about Baker
"Baker poor on ball and makes bad mistakes"
"He's been partly to blame for quite a number of goals imo"
"Baker is sound if you require him to head and kick a ball. Anything else, then you’ve got him scratching his head"
"I think him and Wright should be sold and we should look to upgrade"


Recent comments about O'Dowda
"I can’t get Callum O’Dowda out of my head. I’ll let you decide whether it’s for best or worst!"
"Cart horse, donkey, useless, crap, pathetic, ineffective."
"he really should be nowhere near the 1st team"
"the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever"
"Worst thing we ever did was handing him that pen"
"Complete waste of a squad player"
"Stealing a living - absolutely spineless excuse for a footballer"
"Get rid, he ain't interested"
"Reminds me of forest gump he’s only good at running"
"absolute disgrace of a footballer"
"How could a complete shite player like him hold us to ransom over a new contract? Get rid of him."
"Never rated him. Superficial player, seemingly narcissistic. Get rid"
"League 1 mid table player on a good day. Can’t believe he’s anywhere near a championship squad tbh. Dreadful"

If you're happy to take home 15-20 grand a week and drive around in a Bentley, you should expect to get stick if you consistently don't perform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

If you're happy to take home 15-20 grand a week and drive around in a Bentley, you should expect to get stick if you consistently don't perform

Are you suggesting players are not giving 100%...... consistently?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

....and you think they want to lose every game they play?

Posts like this are just ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No but that's not the point. If they keep playing poorly, they shouldn't be getting paid so much

So you would want to remove part of their wage every time we lose? Is that what you're saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No but that's not the point. If they keep playing poorly, they shouldn't be getting paid so much

Don't think football contracts are so allowable for this...see the PFA, Protected Creditors Rule etc.

However while I don't necessarily agree, I see where you're going with it. Nice wage, players are set for a long time or a great base. Nice city on their doorstep with a pleasant rural area to live in, or vice versa. Fairly nice club.

Where's the incentive to bust a gut each and every game? Over Christmas especially. The hunger. 

Additionally could say the same about clubs bigger or higher up the chain. Cold light of day, have Sheffield United truly got better players than Arsenal, Everton and tbh probably quite a few teams they're above? I'd suggest not. At times certain individuals at say Man Utd this year...huge cash but I hunger? 

At our level, Derby. Clarke  Bielik, Waghorn, Marriott...greaat wges, potential lifestyle on offer (as Keogh gate showed), countryside...should be doing better. Hunger? 

Lastly, up towards the pinnacle of the game. Bale, Rodriguez,  Isco. All major talents, all in and out of team...huge salary. Great lifestyle. 

The incentives aren't necessarily there to induce more, or not easily anyway. 

Oh yeah, Napoli another interesting example. Finished 2nd in Serie A, high wages no doubt. 7th right now and Ancelotti sacked. Despite strengthening...but they took 4 points off Liverpool in CO Group stage- go figure!!

I've got a feeling that as player power consolidates even more, this variance I'm baseline performance let's call it will become increasingly pronounced.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering why the players all look so down after each defeat, if they really couldn't give a toss. ?

For me, it isn't through lack of effort (possibly Fam excluded, at times) or commitment.

It is wholly due to set-up, tactics, and general management from the touchlines.

Not a Johnson out put up the banners man, but definitely getting impatient.

Today though, please try to stay with them...

I believe they DO deserve us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Richwilkins50 said:

Haha, my mrs goes mad every time I call it a slider. 
 

 ‘It’s a bloody slide, not a slider’

Over here in Norn Iron, a Slider is an ice-cream sandwich. Very easy to make as well as it's two wafers and vanilla ice-cream inbetween! Masterchef here I come.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2019 at 23:45, AppyDAZE said:

The weather is going to be OK. I wouldn't worry about that, although the atmosphere is predicted to be "toxic"  

especially if they score first (or at all, probably)

Luton poor but we looked a little bit more like our old selves 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 02:03, RedLionLad said:

You say it's not the players getting the stick? These comments are all quite recent.....and there are many, many more.

Recent comments about Kalas
"What has happened to him? So bad again yesterday"
"Certainly doesn’t look like an 8 million quid centre half at the moment"


Recent comments about Palmer
"Palmer has not been good enough this season"
"KP has been absolutely shocking"
"Palmer hasn’t been very good and occasionally comes off the bench"


Recent comments about Baker
"Baker poor on ball and makes bad mistakes"
"He's been partly to blame for quite a number of goals imo"
"Baker is sound if you require him to head and kick a ball. Anything else, then you’ve got him scratching his head"
"I think him and Wright should be sold and we should look to upgrade"


Recent comments about O'Dowda
"I can’t get Callum O’Dowda out of my head. I’ll let you decide whether it’s for best or worst!"
"Cart horse, donkey, useless, crap, pathetic, ineffective."
"he really should be nowhere near the 1st team"
"the blokes an absolute pussy no fight in him whatsoever"
"Worst thing we ever did was handing him that pen"
"Complete waste of a squad player"
"Stealing a living - absolutely spineless excuse for a footballer"
"Get rid, he ain't interested"
"Reminds me of forest gump he’s only good at running"
"absolute disgrace of a footballer"
"How could a complete shite player like him hold us to ransom over a new contract? Get rid of him."
"Never rated him. Superficial player, seemingly narcissistic. Get rid"
"League 1 mid table player on a good day. Can’t believe he’s anywhere near a championship squad tbh. Dreadful"

Agree with what you are saying but in the particular case of O’Dowda (and his advisers) I struggle to have much sympathy. He stalled over signing a contract and since the presumably improved offer was offered and signed he simply hasn’t produced.

Marley Watkins, and no disrespect to the lad he seems a great pro but he isn’t Ronaldo, produced more in 70 minutes yesterday than COD has all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Agreed, shelts. TBH they were crap, let's not kid ourselves.

They were and undoubtedly the weakest team I’ve seen at AG so far this season.

They didn’t seem to have any game plan or playing style and in all honesty we should have put 5 or 6 past them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...