IGNORED

Best and worst ever player for City

Mattyisared

Although Andy Cole is probably the best in absolute terms, I'm going to vote for Tammy because he was everything you want from a young loan player and probably single-handedly kept us up.

Worst, where, well do you start?  I'll go for Patrick Agyemang, although there are dozens of names that could be in his place.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although Andy Cole is probably the best in absolute terms, I'm going to vote for Tammy because he was everything you want from a young loan player and probably single-handedly kept us up.

Worst, where, well do you start?  I'll go for Patrick Agyemang, although there are dozens of names that could be in his place.

So to answer the question the OP asked it’s Andy Cole for you ?

1 hour ago, Mattyisared said:

Who do you think is the best ever player to play for City? Just to explain what I mean, I mean not necessarily including City. Like for Manchester United the answer isn’t necessarily Cristiano Ronaldo, you could argue Ryan Giggs. But the best ever player to play for United IS Ronaldo. If you see what I mean. 

worst player is obviously exclusive to City 

Good question mate,certainly takes our minds off our current problems for a few hours 

Best: The consummate professional. Arrived at City late in his career but wasn’t just there for the money. He could play and was always 100% committed. I believe that without Norman Hunter in defence City would have gone down after one season in the First Division. He was immense. 

Worst: Bas Savage. The ‘Dive’ against Yeovil was the funniest thing I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. It was like watching Bambi in a pair of football boots. 

3 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Who do you think is the best ever player to play for City? Just to explain what I mean, I mean not necessarily including City. Like for Manchester United the answer isn’t necessarily Cristiano Ronaldo, you could argue Ryan Giggs. But the best ever player to play for United IS Ronaldo. If you see what I mean. 

worst player is obviously exclusive to City 

Really sorry, I’ve read that a few times but I don’t really understand what you mean?! And George Best is Man Utd’s finest ever performer in my opinion, not Ronaldo. But for what it’s worth I think Gerry Gow is Bristol City’s best ever player.....

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Worst - Lois Diony. He even beats John Palmer and Graham Withey 

Sorry Chappers, you can't nominate a fellow Red - Graham might have been limited at pro level but he was someone who gave 100% of what he had because he supported the club. To my mind there've been plenty who couldn't be bothered to give of their best and weren't fellow Reds either.

So with that in mind, I nominate.....  

41 minutes ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

Gary Emanuel 

Damn, Dickie beat me to it!

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m amazed it got to post #44 before this legend`s name came up!

I take it you were at Bournemouth that day too?

So am I, Lanterne! 

We were sat in the stand on the side, Emmanuel comes over to take a corner and is told by the entire City contingent in the stand to do one - wisely, he got someone else to take the corner just before a part of a wooden seat gets hurled at him.

As to City's best ever player - for me it has to be Billy Wedlock because he was the best player in his position in the country (bar the Man U fella, perhaps) and we've never had another player who can say that. He led City to the FA Cup Final and to runners up position in the top division of English football. Big John was a magnificent goalscorer but it was in the third tier, not the top tier, and he was by no means the best centre/inside forward of his era (bless him all the same)   

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sorry Chappers, you can't nominate a fellow Red - Graham might have been limited at pro level but he was someone who gave 100% of what he had because he supported the club. To my mind there've been plenty who couldn't be bothered to give of their best and weren't fellow Reds either.

So with that in mind, I nominate.....  

Damn, Dickie beat me to it!

So am I, Lanterne! 

We were sat in the stand on the side, Emmanuel comes over to take a corner and is told by the entire City contingent in the stand to do one - wisely, he got someone else to take the corner just before a part of a wooden seat gets hurled at him.

As to City's best ever player - for me it has to be Billy Wedlock because he was the best player in his position in the country (bar the Man U fella, perhaps) and we've never had another player who can say that. He led City to the FA Cup Final and to runners up position in the top division of English football. Big John was a magnificent goalscorer but it was in the third tier, not the top tier, and he was by no means the best centre/inside forward of his era (bless him all the same)   

As a Bathonian I have nothing but respect for Graham, a fantastic goal scorer for the Romans, who had a decent League career. However, his one performance for us was ‘disappointing’. Edit - Wikipedia says 2. I can only remember a home cup game. and just learnt he’s just 10 days younger than me.
In fairness, we should not be looking at those type of players, more the ones who cost money in fees/ wages, came with a reputation, and were awful. Like Diony or Julian Watts.

4 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

For me, the answer is always one of Brian Mitchell or Dave Thompson.

And if you don't know if I mean best or worst, count yourself lucky for never having seen either play.

remember well the match when we got mauled 5-1 by Brentford and our whole end singing "mitchell, **** off home". In hindsight, completely cruel and must have shot his confidence to pieces, but bloody hell, he really was naff! 

Archived