IGNORED

Best and worst ever player for City

Mattyisared

Some bad players already mentioned - but worst I ever saw was Glenn Pennyfarther.

Best, well we have had a few on short stays, Andy Cole and Tammy obviously. But for length of service and consistency id have to pick Brian Tinnion, who on his day could split any defense and land the ball on a sixpence.

14 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Who do you think is the best ever player to play for City? Just to explain what I mean, I mean not necessarily including City. Like for Manchester United the answer isn’t necessarily Cristiano Ronaldo, you could argue Ryan Giggs. But the best ever player to play for United IS Ronaldo. If you see what I mean. 

worst player is obviously exclusive to City 

Depends what years but has to be Norman Hunter, Gerry Gow, Paul Chees, these are three of the best and always will be.

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

As a Bathonian I have nothing but respect for Graham, a fantastic goal scorer for the Romans, who had a decent League career. However, his one performance for us was ‘disappointing’. Edit - Wikipedia says 2. I can only remember a home cup game. and just learnt he’s just 10 days younger than me.
In fairness, we should not be looking at those type of players, more the ones who cost money in fees/ wages, came with a reputation, and were awful. Like Diony or Julian Watts.

Ha ha - where to start? David James or Marcus Stewart anyone? 

Billy Wedlock must be a contender for greatest. However, he refused to join City unless they also signed Billy's mate Tommy Radford.

Radford was so bad that he only made one appearance for the first team and that was in a friendly.

John Atyeo must also be a contender for greatest.

Now Wedlock was midfield and Big John was a forward. Expanding this thread; an all time City eleven? Stick Gow alongside Billy W and I'd have Mike Gibson in goal. Mike Thresher would also find a place in this team. Over to you and watch this thread run into umpteen pages.

1 hour ago, Onthefence said:

Some bad players already mentioned - but worst I ever saw was Glenn Pennyfarther.

Best, well we have had a few on short stays, Andy Cole and Tammy obviously. But for length of service and consistency id have to pick Brian Tinnion, who on his day could split any defense and land the ball on a sixpence.

If Glenn pennyfather's the worst you've seen in a red shirt I suggest you spend some of your Xmas vouchers at specsavers...... 

In terms of the X factor and footballing skill there is only one,  the one and only Jacki Dziekanowski.

A true legend at City. On his day, he was on a different level to everyone else. Remember being at the FA Cup game away to Leicester City, just after we signed him from Celtic. Leicester were a good team in those days. He ran the entire game. The highlights of the game is on YouTube for those too young to remember.

The man was an absolute magician when he wanted to be.  It was an honour to watch you play Jacki.
He was also a great bloke to chat to as he liked the nightlife in Bristol at the time. Treated like a God by us City fans in those days.

Andy Cole and Paul Cheeseley a very close 2nd and 3rd.

Someone who went from looking decent to dire in weeks was tony dining.

Had a good first few games, then became one of the laziest players ive ever saw in a city shirt.

I recall going somewhere and tinnion brought him on, then subbed him about ten minutes later.

I dont think he played again.

My best would be alan walsh or louis carey both loyal and consistent.

On 28/12/2019 at 09:44, 22A said:

Billy Wedlock must be a contender for greatest. However, he refused to join City unless they also signed Billy's mate Tommy Radford.

Radford was so bad that he only made one appearance for the first team and that was in a friendly.

John Atyeo must also be a contender for greatest.

Now Wedlock was midfield and Big John was a forward. Expanding this thread; an all time City eleven? Stick Gow alongside Billy W and I'd have Mike Gibson in goal. Mike Thresher would also find a place in this team. Over to you and watch this thread run into umpteen pages.

That was Joe Cottle, not Billy Wedlock. 

I was away Xmas so missed this thread /glad it’s back on. I was born in 1970 so

worst of all tricky dicky foster ( how can a right back be so bad) ok nicky hunt or silly xxxx as he was called nearby me in the dolman .Bas Savaage in third place- laughably bad

best so hard / hands up to Gerry gow/  / Walshy/ Glyn Riley/ super bob /Jackie/scotty but imho Brian Tinnion for his longevity and that goal at Anfield.

A real Bristol City legend.Glad he’s working at the club again.

Cant beat a Saturday night when the boys win- cheers everyone ??????☕

1 hour ago, MattWSM said:

Best - Scott Murray

Worst- Jason Roberts

Jason Roberts ?

only started once on loan  IIRC and scored a vital winner in our promotion chase at Oldham , the game after Man City snaffled the Goat

He was good in that game , and we should have benn looking to take him permanently, but upset Ward by disappearing off on International duty IIRC

We  absolutely cut our nose off to spite our face as he ended up ripping it up at The Sags , and beyond 

On 27/12/2019 at 18:50, Southstandoriginal said:

Best: Norman Hunter (a member of two world cup squads, not whilst playing for us but class is permanent)

Worst:  Ryan McGivern (Somehow the owner of a Man City contract!)

Agree Norman Hunter but absolutely while with us , was astonished how good he was , fantastic defender and scored a couple of thunderbolt goals , was the leader in the two and half years or so he was with us which were simply the best we have ever been in the last century , great bloke as well

Worst more difficult but how Bas Savage played professional football has always baffled me 

The worst probably IS Nicky Hunt, isn't it if we're being honest?

The best...   harder to choose,  for sure . Cole (Andrew, not Skuse), Bob T?, But I have a huge soft spot for Shaun Taylor  you know. He was ******* brilliant.

The most underrated, in a strange way, is probably Louis. Bristol Boy, club legend and he was a real good player.

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The worst probably IS Nicky Hunt, isn't it if we're being honest?

The best...   harder to choose,  for sure . Cole (Andrew, not Skuse), Bob T?, But I have a huge soft spot for Shaun Taylor  you know. He was ******* brilliant.

The most underrated, in a strange way, is probably Louis. Bristol Boy, club legend and he was a real good player.

Nicky Hunt was Brian Mitchell before changing his name by deed poll

Hunt told a lad I know,  on a night out in Bristol he ‘Didnt Give a **** if he was in the side or not’ as he was ‘picking up very nice money’

Sort of sums the Hunt up really

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Jason Roberts ?

only started once on loan  IIRC and scored a vital winner in our promotion chase at Oldham , the game after Man City snaffled the Goat

He was good in that game , and we should have benn looking to take him permanently, but upset Ward by disappearing off on International duty IIRC

We  absolutely cut our nose off to spite our face as he ended up ripping it up at The Sags , and beyond 

wasn't based on his playing ability :)

12 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Best - Andy Cole

Worst - Ray Atteveld

That would be the same Raymond Atteveld who not long after he left us was voted Eredivise's best midfielder for the phenomenally successful season he spent at Roda and for the major money he earned them when moving to Vitesse, where in the next two and a bit seasons he also rated in the player voted 'team of the year' awards. At the time I used to travel to Limburg each week and the number of free drinks mention of his name plus my being a City supporter brought was unreal. Thanks Ray ....

Archived