IGNORED

Best and worst ever player for City

Mattyisared

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

That would be the same Raymond Atteveld who not long after he left us was voted Eredivise's best midfielder for the phenomenally successful season he spent at Roda and for the major money he earned them when moving to Vitesse, where in the next two and a bit seasons he also rated in the player voted 'team of the year' awards. At the time I used to travel to Limburg each week and the number of free drinks mention of his name plus my being a City supporter brought was unreal. Thanks Ray ....

Cracker of an own goal at Millwall as well !

At a time when I was able to go to every home and away game, I got to see a lot of this this ex-Chelsea player, who arrived with some fanfare and excitement. But he was not match fit, not match sharp, and every performance - and I think I saw them all - I have to rank as abysmal. He seemed to lack even basic ball control skills.

I remember watching him during the pre-match warm up at some ground up north, can't remember where, where the players were kicking it between them in a game of football tag. On several passes from Alan Walsh, and others, this player was unable to simply trap the ball and return it, the ball either going through his legs or under a boot. This brought a collective groan from the City fans watching on, and summed up the general mood. It got no better from there. I think pretty much the most incapable professional footballer I've seen in a City shirt. I speak of Gary Stanley.

The best, Andy Cole I think.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

That would be the same Raymond Atteveld who not long after he left us was voted Eredivise's best midfielder for the phenomenally successful season he spent at Roda and for the major money he earned them when moving to Vitesse, where in the next two and a bit seasons he also rated in the player voted 'team of the year' awards. At the time I used to travel to Limburg each week and the number of free drinks mention of his name plus my being a City supporter brought was unreal. Thanks Ray ....

I thought Ray was ok for us. Our final game of the season at Watford, saw the ref dish out a red card to any City player who's surname began with an A. We had 3 sent off including Ray.

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

Worst - can nobody else remember Harpal Singh?

Got him on loan from Leeds? A left winger that we needed. I wanted him to do well as he had the pace. Problem was he never really used it.

25 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:
3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I thought Ray was ok for us. Our final game of the season at Watford, saw the ref dish out a red card to any City player who's surname began with an A. We had 3 sent off including Ray.

Indeed, the irony being and by the culture at the time there was hardly a 'nasty' challenge in the game given there was nothing on it. Weird end to the season but only time I recall us going down to 8 men ( officially anyway...)

The problem with questions like this is that the answers can be dependant on your age group/years following City,ane the different eras or style of football from which comparisons are made. There can be no doubt that Andy Cole achieved more in the game than John Atyeo, but half a season in a City shirt hardly trumps big John's longevity and his standing within the club. Who knows, had Atyeo decided to go full time professional and signed for Liverpool we might be talking about him as England's record goal scorer rather than City's. The most skilful player I ever saw in a City shirt was undoubtedly Jantzen Derrick. 

As for the worst then the usual suspects of Atteveld, Dyche, Watts and Hunt have all been mentioned, I'd leave Bas off the list for the great game he had against MK Dons at the hockey stadium. Amongst some of the most disappointing though were Sno and Bridges. 

In terms of worst there were quite a few wild cards in the dark days of 1982 (Errington and Nyerere Kelly anyone?) but in nearly 58 years of watching City I don’t think I’ve ever seen a players as shockingly bad as Diony.  I didn’t see every minute he played but I can safely say I never saw him do a single worthwhile thing on the football pitch, and even Bas Savage scored a goal or perhaps even two.

On 27/12/2019 at 21:10, Chappers said:

As a Bathonian I have nothing but respect for Graham, a fantastic goal scorer for the Romans, who had a decent League career. However, his one performance for us was ‘disappointing’. Edit - Wikipedia says 2. I can only remember a home cup game. and just learnt he’s just 10 days younger than me.
In fairness, we should not be looking at those type of players, more the ones who cost money in fees/ wages, came with a reputation, and were awful. Like Diony or Julian Watts.

Going back a bit but Gary Stanley is right up there.

More recently, Stern John.

But Diony definitely worst of the lot.

11 hours ago, archie andrews said:

That Richard dryden who went on to play top class football whilst we languished in division 3......

That's the one. From what I remember lots could not believe he made it Southampton. When Mark Lawrence was presenting the local ITV football show he went on to say if Richard Dryden is still in the Southampton team come the end of the season he would take off his clothes on air. Some how Dryden was still in the Southampton team at the end. But thankfully Lawrence kept has clothes on.

Archived