IGNORED

Best and worst ever player for City

Mattyisared

14 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

Come off it robbie turner worse than julian alsop iam not having that

He was for Rovers. I am not denying he did well for City, but he had a torrid time at the Gas.. Luckily for us, he was late for a game, Devon White was given a chance in his place and the rest as they say, is history!

Sometimes it just doesn't work out for a player at a particular club. Ask Chelsea fans about Gary Stanley, and you will get a very different opinion to that you would get from a City fan.

22 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In terms of worst there were quite a few wild cards in the dark days of 1982 (Errington and Nyerere Kelly anyone?) but in nearly 58 years of watching City I don’t think I’ve ever seen a players as shockingly bad as Diony.  I didn’t see every minute he played but I can safely say I never saw him do a single worthwhile thing on the football pitch, and even Bas Savage scored a goal or perhaps even two.

Bas scored just the one....v Scunthorpe 

He could have scored another....if he hadn’t fell over his own bootlace.

Bas Savage must be right up there. It's like somebody grabbed him off the street and said, "can you kick a ball?". Diony was awful. Really hard to get your head around how he was ever regarded as a footballer but he'd done well in French leagues. I guess his confidence was shot to pieces. Shame really.

Steve Jones and Steve Torpey were pretty bad but both looked like Pele when compared to Bas Savage. Jones went on to become a City hero. I recall his pearly white teeth sparkling through his tan bed face. I remember after being out of favour at AG that he came on and scored. His jubilance and celebration was a joy to watch. It was like he'd scored the winner in the World cup. I think he even kissed the badge, which is a gesture that always looks twee IMHO.

Best: Paul Cheesley, would almost certainly have played for England but for the injury after the clash with Peter Shilton.  England played a similar type of player, Paul Mariner, but Cheesley looked a class above him.

A lot of candidates for worst: Sean Dyche would have been a candidate but he was actually a good central defender who was forced onto the pitch or chose to play for City with a bad injury hence he looked on a level with Nicky Hunt and that's some achievement.

On 28/12/2019 at 04:44, 22A said:

Billy Wedlock must be a contender for greatest. However, he refused to join City unless they also signed Billy's mate Tommy Radford.

Radford was so bad that he only made one appearance for the first team and that was in a friendly.

John Atyeo must also be a contender for greatest.

Now Wedlock was midfield and Big John was a forward. Expanding this thread; an all time City eleven? Stick Gow alongside Billy W and I'd have Mike Gibson in goal. Mike Thresher would also find a place in this team. Over to you and watch this thread run into umpteen pages.

I've been supporting since the late 90s, but of the players I've seen I'd go with:

GK - Basso

RB - Orr

CB - Caulker

CB - Webster

LB - Bryan

RM - Murray 

CM - Hartley 

CM - Elliott (in that 07-08 season)

LM - Tinnion

CF - Tammy

CF - Bobby Reid

Bench would include Heaton, Flint, Wade Elliott, Doherty, Adomah, JET,  Maynard

On 22/01/2020 at 11:16, Rich_s said:

Bas Savage must be right up there. It's like somebody grabbed him off the street and said, "can you kick a ball?". Diony was awful. Really hard to get your head around how he was ever regarded as a footballer but he'd done well in French leagues. I guess his confidence was shot to pieces. Shame really.

Steve Jones and Steve Torpey were pretty bad but both looked like Pele when compared to Bas Savage. Jones went on to become a City hero. I recall his pearly white teeth sparkling through his tan bed face. I remember after being out of favour at AG that he came on and scored. His jubilance and celebration was a joy to watch. It was like he'd scored the winner in the World cup. I think he even kissed the badge, which is a gesture that always looks twee IMHO.

I thought Torpey was better than he was ever given credit for.  He was a real workhorse up front, and took the knocks for the rest of the team.  Had a shocking head injury in the first game of a season because of going in where it hurts.  Never really understood what happened with Steve Jones - I was working in London at the time and his signing was regarded as a real coup by West Ham fans I knew.  Never really worked out for him at City though,  and I always remember some strange body language between him and Shaun Taylor while celebrating a goal (at Scunthorpe?), which suggested that he was not in the big man's good books.

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Never really understood what happened with Steve Jones 

In truth he was never that good ( partly because he wasn't fully fit when we signed him from Charlton,) he never scored for West Ham and didn't last long there,  but he did have a magnificent tan and was a decent and amiable bloke given most matches he'd join us on the train back to London from wherever we'd played that day and was always up for a friendly chat.

Last seen running his own sporting memorabilia shop in the alley off Charing Cross Road.

Archived