Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Mattyisared

Best and worst ever player for City

Best, Andy Cole, Tammy, Jacki, and the great Gerry Gow! 

Paul Cheesley could have been.

Worst: if the same rule applies, over their whole career, not just with City, then that rules out the likes of Diony, Nicky Hunt. They did OK elsewhere, unlike John Palmer or Bas!

1 hour ago, KevP said:

Best strike PAIRING Bob Taylor and Robbie Turner. Too many crap players but Nyatanga, McGivern, Woolford, Foster....ohh God the list goes on........

Better than Cheesley and Ritchie....I dont think so.

• Like 4

Best: The consummate professional. Arrived at City late in his career but wasn’t just there for the money. He could play and was always 100% committed. I believe that without Norman Hunter in defence City would have gone down after one season in the First Division. He was immense. 

Worst: Bas Savage. The ‘Dive’ against Yeovil was the funniest thing I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. It was like watching Bambi in a pair of football boots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Who do you think is the best ever player to play for City? Just to explain what I mean, I mean not necessarily including City. Like for Manchester United the answer isn’t necessarily Cristiano Ronaldo, you could argue Ryan Giggs. But the best ever player to play for United IS Ronaldo. If you see what I mean. 

worst player is obviously exclusive to City 

Really sorry, I’ve read that a few times but I don’t really understand what you mean?! And George Best is Man Utd’s finest ever performer in my opinion, not Ronaldo. But for what it’s worth I think Gerry Gow is Bristol City’s best ever player.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Worst - Lois Diony. He even beats John Palmer and Graham Withey 

Sorry Chappers, you can't nominate a fellow Red - Graham might have been limited at pro level but he was someone who gave 100% of what he had because he supported the club. To my mind there've been plenty who couldn't be bothered to give of their best and weren't fellow Reds either.

So with that in mind, I nominate.....  

41 minutes ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

Gary Emanuel 

Damn, Dickie beat me to it!

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m amazed it got to post #44 before this legend`s name came up!

I take it you were at Bournemouth that day too?

So am I, Lanterne! 

We were sat in the stand on the side, Emmanuel comes over to take a corner and is told by the entire City contingent in the stand to do one - wisely, he got someone else to take the corner just before a part of a wooden seat gets hurled at him.

As to City's best ever player - for me it has to be Billy Wedlock because he was the best player in his position in the country (bar the Man U fella, perhaps) and we've never had another player who can say that. He led City to the FA Cup Final and to runners up position in the top division of English football. Big John was a magnificent goalscorer but it was in the third tier, not the top tier, and he was by no means the best centre/inside forward of his era (bless him all the same)   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Better than Cheesley and Ritchie....I dont think so.

Opinions...I watched both partnerships as you probably did. Turner and Taylor excited me more TBH....

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sorry Chappers, you can't nominate a fellow Red - Graham might have been limited at pro level but he was someone who gave 100% of what he had because he supported the club. To my mind there've been plenty who couldn't be bothered to give of their best and weren't fellow Reds either.

So with that in mind, I nominate.....  

Damn, Dickie beat me to it!

So am I, Lanterne! 

We were sat in the stand on the side, Emmanuel comes over to take a corner and is told by the entire City contingent in the stand to do one - wisely, he got someone else to take the corner just before a part of a wooden seat gets hurled at him.

As to City's best ever player - for me it has to be Billy Wedlock because he was the best player in his position in the country (bar the Man U fella, perhaps) and we've never had another player who can say that. He led City to the FA Cup Final and to runners up position in the top division of English football. Big John was a magnificent goalscorer but it was in the third tier, not the top tier, and he was by no means the best centre/inside forward of his era (bless him all the same)   

As a Bathonian I have nothing but respect for Graham, a fantastic goal scorer for the Romans, who had a decent League career. However, his one performance for us was ‘disappointing’. Edit - Wikipedia says 2. I can only remember a home cup game. and just learnt he’s just 10 days younger than me.
In fairness, we should not be looking at those type of players, more the ones who cost money in fees/ wages, came with a reputation, and were awful. Like Diony or Julian Watts.

Edited by Chappers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

For me, the answer is always one of Brian Mitchell or Dave Thompson.

And if you don't know if I mean best or worst, count yourself lucky for never having seen either play.

remember well the match when we got mauled 5-1 by Brentford and our whole end singing "mitchell, **** off home". In hindsight, completely cruel and must have shot his confidence to pieces, but bloody hell, he really was naff! 

Surprised no mention of Adam el Abd. He came with a good rep but was just woeful for us. 

• Like 1

Some bad players already mentioned - but worst I ever saw was Glenn Pennyfarther.

Best, well we have had a few on short stays, Andy Cole and Tammy obviously. But for length of service and consistency id have to pick Brian Tinnion, who on his day could split any defense and land the ball on a sixpence.

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t get Callum O’Dowda out of my head. I’ll let you decide whether it’s for best or worst! 😉 

Most overrated in my opinion. Some people actually think is a good player? 

14 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Who do you think is the best ever player to play for City? Just to explain what I mean, I mean not necessarily including City. Like for Manchester United the answer isn’t necessarily Cristiano Ronaldo, you could argue Ryan Giggs. But the best ever player to play for United IS Ronaldo. If you see what I mean. 

worst player is obviously exclusive to City 

Depends what years but has to be Norman Hunter, Gerry Gow, Paul Chees, these are three of the best and always will be.

11 hours ago, Chappers said:
In fairness, we should not be looking at those type of players, more the ones who cost money in fees/ wages, came with a reputation, and were awful. Like Diony or Julian Watts.

Ha ha ... where to start?!  David James or Marcus Stewart anyone? 

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

As a Bathonian I have nothing but respect for Graham, a fantastic goal scorer for the Romans, who had a decent League career. However, his one performance for us was ‘disappointing’. Edit - Wikipedia says 2. I can only remember a home cup game. and just learnt he’s just 10 days younger than me.

Ha ha - where to start? David James or Marcus Stewart anyone? 

Billy Wedlock must be a contender for greatest. However, he refused to join City unless they also signed Billy's mate Tommy Radford.

Radford was so bad that he only made one appearance for the first team and that was in a friendly.

John Atyeo must also be a contender for greatest.

Now Wedlock was midfield and Big John was a forward. Expanding this thread; an all time City eleven? Stick Gow alongside Billy W and I'd have Mike Gibson in goal. Mike Thresher would also find a place in this team. Over to you and watch this thread run into umpteen pages.

1 hour ago, Onthefence said:

Some bad players already mentioned - but worst I ever saw was Glenn Pennyfarther.

Best, well we have had a few on short stays, Andy Cole and Tammy obviously. But for length of service and consistency id have to pick Brian Tinnion, who on his day could split any defense and land the ball on a sixpence.

If Glenn pennyfather's the worst you've seen in a red shirt I suggest you spend some of your Xmas vouchers at specsavers...... 

• Like 1

In terms of the X factor and footballing skill there is only one,  the one and only Jacki Dziekanowski.

A true legend at City. On his day, he was on a different level to everyone else. Remember being at the FA Cup game away to Leicester City, just after we signed him from Celtic. Leicester were a good team in those days. He ran the entire game. The highlights of the game is on YouTube for those too young to remember.

The man was an absolute magician when he wanted to be.  It was an honour to watch you play Jacki.
He was also a great bloke to chat to as he liked the nightlife in Bristol at the time. Treated like a God by us City fans in those days.

Andy Cole and Paul Cheeseley a very close 2nd and 3rd.

Edited by GasDestroyer

Someone who went from looking decent to dire in weeks was tony dining.

Had a good first few games, then became one of the laziest players ive ever saw in a city shirt.

I recall going somewhere and tinnion brought him on, then subbed him about ten minutes later.

I dont think he played again.

My best would be alan walsh or louis carey both loyal and consistent.

On 28/12/2019 at 09:44, 22A said:

Billy Wedlock must be a contender for greatest. However, he refused to join City unless they also signed Billy's mate Tommy Radford.

Radford was so bad that he only made one appearance for the first team and that was in a friendly.

John Atyeo must also be a contender for greatest.

Now Wedlock was midfield and Big John was a forward. Expanding this thread; an all time City eleven? Stick Gow alongside Billy W and I'd have Mike Gibson in goal. Mike Thresher would also find a place in this team. Over to you and watch this thread run into umpteen pages.

That was Joe Cottle, not Billy Wedlock. 

I was away Xmas so missed this thread /glad it’s back on. I was born in 1970 so

worst of all tricky dicky foster ( how can a right back be so bad) ok nicky hunt or silly xxxx as he was called nearby me in the dolman .Bas Savaage in third place- laughably bad

best so hard / hands up to Gerry gow/  / Walshy/ Glyn Riley/ super bob /Jackie/scotty but imho Brian Tinnion for his longevity and that goal at Anfield.

A real Bristol City legend.Glad he’s working at the club again.

Cant beat a Saturday night when the boys win- cheers everyone 🍷🍻🍺🥂🍼🥤☕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattWSM said:

Best - Scott Murray

Worst- Jason Roberts

Jason Roberts ?

only started once on loan  IIRC and scored a vital winner in our promotion chase at Oldham , the game after Man City snaffled the Goat

He was good in that game , and we should have benn looking to take him permanently, but upset Ward by disappearing off on International duty IIRC

We  absolutely cut our nose off to spite our face as he ended up ripping it up at The Sags , and beyond 

• Like 3

Best - Andy Cole

Worst - Ray Atteveld

By the way, the best Man Utd player ever is George Best. Ronaldo not fit to lace his boots

On 27/12/2019 at 18:50, Southstandoriginal said:

Best: Norman Hunter (a member of two world cup squads, not whilst playing for us but class is permanent)

Worst:  Ryan McGivern (Somehow the owner of a Man City contract!)

Agree Norman Hunter but absolutely while with us , was astonished how good he was , fantastic defender and scored a couple of thunderbolt goals , was the leader in the two and half years or so he was with us which were simply the best we have ever been in the last century , great bloke as well

Worst more difficult but how Bas Savage played professional football has always baffled me 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 02:00, TBW said:

Ryan Taylor was an absolute pile of ****.

Saw him score a cracker at Burnley on the last game of the season and Careys last game. Thought he was going to be a good one but disappeared off the radar unfortunately 

The worst probably IS Nicky Hunt, isn't it if we're being honest?

The best...   harder to choose,  for sure . Cole (Andrew, not Skuse), Bob T?, But I have a huge soft spot for Shaun Taylor  you know. He was ******* brilliant.

The most underrated, in a strange way, is probably Louis. Bristol Boy, club legend and he was a real good player.

Edited by AppyDAZE

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The worst probably IS Nicky Hunt, isn't it if we're being honest?

The best...   harder to choose,  for sure . Cole (Andrew, not Skuse), Bob T?, But I have a huge soft spot for Shaun Taylor  you know. He was ******* brilliant.

The most underrated, in a strange way, is probably Louis. Bristol Boy, club legend and he was a real good player.

Nicky Hunt was Brian Mitchell before changing his name by deed poll

Hunt told a lad I know,  on a night out in Bristol he ‘Didnt Give a **** if he was in the side or not’ as he was ‘picking up very nice money’

Sort of sums the Hunt up really

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Jason Roberts ?

only started once on loan  IIRC and scored a vital winner in our promotion chase at Oldham , the game after Man City snaffled the Goat

He was good in that game , and we should have benn looking to take him permanently, but upset Ward by disappearing off on International duty IIRC

We  absolutely cut our nose off to spite our face as he ended up ripping it up at The Sags , and beyond 

wasn't based on his playing ability :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Best - Andy Cole

Worst - Ray Atteveld

That would be the same Raymond Atteveld who not long after he left us was voted Eredivise's best midfielder for the phenomenally successful season he spent at Roda and for the major money he earned them when moving to Vitesse, where in the next two and a bit seasons he also rated in the player voted 'team of the year' awards. At the time I used to travel to Limburg each week and the number of free drinks mention of his name plus my being a City supporter brought was unreal. Thanks Ray ....

• Like 1

Bob Taylor has to be up there (as his time as a City player)

Andy Cole for someone who went on after City

Maybe the 'Goat' covers best (in my time) at City and didn't do too badly after.

Worst - can nobody else remember Harpal Singh?

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

That would be the same Raymond Atteveld who not long after he left us was voted Eredivise's best midfielder for the phenomenally successful season he spent at Roda and for the major money he earned them when moving to Vitesse, where in the next two and a bit seasons he also rated in the player voted 'team of the year' awards. At the time I used to travel to Limburg each week and the number of free drinks mention of his name plus my being a City supporter brought was unreal. Thanks Ray ....

Cracker of an own goal at Millwall as well !

Just remembered Gordon Owen. Missed a penalty v Swindon that would have put us in the playoffs then another v Mansfield at Wembley. Not my favourite by a long way 

At a time when I was able to go to every home and away game, I got to see a lot of this this ex-Chelsea player, who arrived with some fanfare and excitement. But he was not match fit, not match sharp, and every performance - and I think I saw them all - I have to rank as abysmal. He seemed to lack even basic ball control skills.

I remember watching him during the pre-match warm up at some ground up north, can't remember where, where the players were kicking it between them in a game of football tag. On several passes from Alan Walsh, and others, this player was unable to simply trap the ball and return it, the ball either going through his legs or under a boot. This brought a collective groan from the City fans watching on, and summed up the general mood. It got no better from there. I think pretty much the most incapable professional footballer I've seen in a City shirt. I speak of Gary Stanley.

The best, Andy Cole I think.

Edited by OneCity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I thought Ray was ok for us. Our final game of the season at Watford, saw the ref dish out a red card to any City player who's surname began with an A. We had 3 sent off including Ray.

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

Worst - can nobody else remember Harpal Singh?

Got him on loan from Leeds? A left winger that we needed. I wanted him to do well as he had the pace. Problem was he never really used it.

Edited by Norn Iron
More info

25 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:
3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I thought Ray was ok for us. Our final game of the season at Watford, saw the ref dish out a red card to any City player who's surname began with an A. We had 3 sent off including Ray.

Indeed, the irony being and by the culture at the time there was hardly a 'nasty' challenge in the game given there was nothing on it. Weird end to the season but only time I recall us going down to 8 men ( officially anyway...)

In terms of successful careers but also played for us, could make a case for Joe Jordan himself I guess. Leeds, Man U and Milan and a successful international player.