IGNORED

45 years ago today.

22A

Today is my 65th birthday and I've received some pleasing and expensive gifts. Looking back though, my 20th birthday was when I received the biggest birthday treat.

28th December 1974 and City were away at Eastville. Half time Rovers 1 - City 0. Full time score; Rovers 1 - City 4!? Stood on that open end and as each goal went in, firstly friends and by the end, complete strangers shaking my hand and wishing me "Happy Birthday".

Mods; move this to the Rovers thread if you feel it's more appropriate there.

I was 14 , walking up from Saint Werburghs along the lane there was a hell of a lot of noise. Being dodgy times we sort of looked at each other, only for some bloke to say, don't worry that's your lot. The open end was rammed. Got the DVD, sadly doesn't focus on the open end enough to pick myself and our shitty home made banner out. 

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I am 68 and loads of us were in the North Enclosure, and of course, we kept very quiet  (yeah right ) :cool: !

In the nutty north hey slarti hope you joined in the harrrrrold haaaaaarold chants i coulnt have risked the  north i would have been rumbled in a shot all my mates were of the gas persuasion i was the only ted on the island

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I am 68 and loads of us were in the North Enclosure, and of course, we kept very quiet  (yeah right ) :cool: !

First, many happy returns 22A on this special day.

I didn't know you were that age Slarti! I must be in denial about my own then!

Was that game as good as our "One Nil down, Two one up, we knocked Rovers out of the cup" nearly a decade later? I was there for that one.

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

In the nutty north hey slarti hope you joined in the harrrrrold haaaaaarold chants i coulnt have risked the  north i would have been rumbled in a shot all my mates were of the gas persuasion i was the only ted on the island

There was a about 20 plus in the center , funnily enough we had a big space around us......it seemed nobody wanted to come and wish us seasons greetings !

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

First, many happy returns 22A on this special day.

I didn't know you were that age Slarti! I must be in denial about my own then!

Was that game as good as our "One Nil down, Two one up, we knocked Rovers out of the cup" nearly a decade later? I was there for that one.

Better in regards to taking the piss on the pitch, we were awsome that day, talk about score when we want!

Oh, and I only look 48  !:P

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Better in regards to taking the piss on the pitch, we were awsome that day, talk about score when we want!

Oh, and I only look 48  !:P

You're in denial as well then! Mind you I haven't seen you since Southend Away in the mid 90s so maybe you haven't aged!

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you Dorian Grey ! :innocent06:

I give you Wrapped In Grey. One of only two XTC singles I didn't buy and both are now worth an absolute fortune. If I could sell them, I could have enough money to buy Bristol Rovers and then make even more money by immediately selling the ground! 

In my mind I can see Keith Fear running through the centre on to a long kick out from the keeper  (cashley??)  and placing it into the net, for some reason I think it was the 4th goal and the icing on the cake.  Think he scored another one earlier as well but the other 2 goals I cant remember......

I also visualise pouring rain and wind which made it a game of two halves, 1-0 down to 4-1 win

Ah memories! My first season of going to watch City, 11 years old, and drinking Tartan bitter before every game ( bought by my elder brother), fantastic! Lived in Winterbourne  which was a Rovers area at the time, was getting into fights all week leading up to the game, and even more afterwards :laugh:, great team we had then and getting closer to Division 1. Happy Birthday 22A, thanks for reminding me of this great day!

8 hours ago, 22A said:

Today is my 65th birthday and I've received some pleasing and expensive gifts. Looking back though, my 20th birthday was when I received the biggest birthday treat.

28th December 1974 and City were away at Eastville. Half time Rovers 1 - City 0. Full time score; Rovers 1 - City 4!? Stood on that open end and as each goal went in, firstly friends and by the end, complete strangers shaking my hand and wishing me "Happy Birthday".

Happy birthday?

I was  there as well, standing on the half way line in what was the ‘safe area for a 14year old!

Best bit was my cousins were Rovers fans and we were going back to their house afterwards!  They didn’t want to let us in!

Keith Fear definitely scored from a Ray Cashley punt - and I’m pretty sure he got another - can’t remember the other scorers  

A good day none the less!

4 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

In my mind I can see Keith Fear running through the centre on to a long kick out from the keeper  (cashley??)  and placing it into the net, for some reason I think it was the 4th goal and the icing on the cake.  Think he scored another one earlier as well but the other 2 goals I cant remember......

I also visualise pouring rain and wind which made it a game of two halves, 1-0 down to 4-1 win

Yes wind was behind us second half!

5 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

I think the other two were Tainton and Mann. 45 years!... where did the time go?!

Bumped this one about the Rovers 1 City 4 game at Eastville as I have just noticed the highlights have been loaded on Youtube. 

Don't know how to load it up on here but worth a look and to see how amazingly accurate the comments are in this thread about the game.... some long memories on here amongst us old folk ??

Thanks for that AR.  I was at that game with my dad who is no longer with us. I remember being right at the front of the  Muller Road  end right in the far right hand corner. I was a bit upset at half time and an old guy said to me.  “ Don’t you worry babber we’ll stuff em in the second half”

interesting how things have changed

pitch shocking

tv picture shocking

Cheese would have been sent of for the retaliation to Prince (?)

Pace of the game seemed much slower

More misscontrolled balls, though that might have been the wind it was blowing a bit.

21000 for a rovers home game!

The promotion side forming up nicely that day.

Thanks for the memories

Haven't seen that video on YouTube before. Great to see Cheesley causing havoc in the air, Jimmy Mann must have been our best free transfer ever. I was at the game and you can see the strength of the wind by the length of Cashley's kick for the 4th goal, a great time to be a City fan

On 28/12/2019 at 04:50, 22A said:

Archived