IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

GTFABM

3 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Just read on Sky Sports Swansea are looking to sign KP on loan in January. Rediculous waste of a signing really. Very talented player in there somewhere just wish we got to see him and Afobe for longer as i think thats the only partnership where he would be at his best.

Really hope this ain’t true. Been a massive critic of Palmer but would be interested to see him in the 532 that worked well with Afobe and Weimann up top maybe instead of Afobe (obvious reasons) Nketiah or a Gayle or someone in that mould. Which would hopefully get the best out of him.

1 minute ago, P'head Red said:

I actually rate Pato, think he's been a good player for us on the whole. 

He’s technically very gifted, two good feet.  Very good at his best, frustratingly heartless at his worst.

But he’s just had a right big couple of kicks up the arse:

1) leaving here to go on loan

2) being told he’s not wanted at Derby

If ever there was a time for Pato to realise he’s on his last decent contract (signed 18 months ago for 3 years), it’s now.  And that if he continues to be an in and out player, his next contract will not be anything like he’s currently on and likely to be at a Lg1 club.

If that doesn’t motivate him, nothing will.

5 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I actually rate Pato, think he's been a good player for us on the whole. 

Yeah I don't mind him. But like Palmer he needs a mobile striker in front of him. The main problem with our team is what's up top. No movement for creative no10's to get the best out of their ability 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And unproven at this level.  Interested to know what system we’ll play to accommodate him?  Think it would be in some 433 type system, coming in from the right.  Really haven’t seen enough of him to be confident he’s the answer.  Could be the next Andy Cole though.  I’m not against us signing him, just not sure we should be betting on him being the saviour.

He is unproven, but to be involved in Arsenal games over the 2 seasons before this one, he must surely be rated as a future Arsenal striker.

I'd be happy with him or Che Adams, or a different type in Wickham. Guess the whole thing depends on what system and team LJ is planning to play.

I can't really imagine Nketiah and Weimann being as good as Afobe and Weimann was looking. Nketiah seems stronger on the ball than he looks, but not sure at 20 he is so good with his back to goal against big centre backs.

Another thread is talking about us being bottom of the expected goal charts for a coupleof months. It goes on to say tha while we are very efficient at converting the chances we create, we just don't create enough chances. 

Against this background we propose loaning out one of very few players capa ble of creating chances? 

For all my support for LJ I do worry that he is in danger of making us too 'safe' a team, coaching flair out of players and making us ever more predictable. 

34 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Plus a lot of poor games and giving away some stupid free kicks. There may be talent there, but for whatever reason we are not seeing it, and financial reality may be that we have to let him go. As for not to another Championship side, we’ll he won’t be dropping to L1, nor moving to the Premiership, so that limits options a lot.

Harsh reality is that we have a bloated squad, and will probably have to let players move.

Bloated squad? thought Tomlin had gone.

24 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He would waltz back in our team right now in all honesty 

Cant even get in Derby’s team and they are shite. As for letting KP go - madness, a year younger than Szmodics yet people would seem to rather keep him!? Bin SS straight off along with Wright and Watkins if it’s down to wages and a bloated squad. KP is not the problem.

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Cant even get in Derby’s team and they are shite. As for letting KP go - madness, a year younger than Szmodics yet people would seem to rather keep him!? Bin SS straight off along with Wright and Watkins if it’s down to wages and a bloated squad. KP is not the problem.

If it’s down to wages then O’Dowda should be the first out the door

3 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah I don't mind him. But like Palmer he needs a mobile striker in front of him. The main problem with our team is what's up top. No movement for creative no10's to get the best out of their ability 

Interesting that a previous Huddersfield manager David Wager was trying to sign Paterson. They ended up loaning Palmer and Isiah Brown, who are both players that play similar type of position to Pato.

Clearly Wagner saw the qualities in Pato and Palmer what they'd bring to a side that had Nakhi Wells up top. An on the shoulder type with pace, as well as having plenty of technically good players in midfield. Pato or Palmer or Isiah Brown were made for that kind of side. A manager who had a clear idea of how he wanted to play and what players he needed to make that happen. To get the very best out of the likes of Aaron Mooy and Nakhi Wells.

LJ seems to want many different types of players for different games. But it means certain players like Pato, Palmer or Diedhiou (for completely different reasons) don't play to their best.

What worries me it we don’t seem to get the best out of Palmer, don’t seem to get the best out of Eliasson, don’t seem to get the best out of Diedhiou, a few have expressed concerns we are not getting the best of Nagy and I wonder if we are getting the best out of O’Dowda. 

I think LJ has done a good job here on the whole but these sort of things are starting to concern me. I am pleased with the squad we have assembled but am starting to wonder if another manager could get more out of it.

KP definitely needs better coaching and motivation than he’s getting here at the moment, he has shown flashes of skill but been hampered by our setup and lack of game time - Paterson coming back creates another problem, loan did not go well, Derby are happy to lose him, he’s gone missing for more than 9/10 games for us last season and still started most games under LJ so it’s to be expected the love-in will probably be rekindled.

41 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s alright we’ve got Pato coming back. ?‍♂️ 

The funny thing is we were at our very best we’ve been in two years when Pato was playing as a second striker. 

Whilst I think his best times for us are behind him, he’s certainly done more here than Palmer has. But because he didn’t cost big money and come from Chelsea....

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting that a previous Huddersfield manager David Wager was trying to sign Paterson. They ended up loaning Palmer and Isiah Brown, who are both players that play similar type of position to Pato.

Clearly Wagner saw the qualities in Pato and Palmer what they'd bring to a side that had Nakhi Wells up top. An on the shoulder type with pace, as well as having plenty of technically good players in midfield. Pato or Palmer or Isiah Brown were made for that kind of side. A manager who had a clear idea of how he wanted to play and what players he needed to make that happen. To get the very best out of the likes of Aaron Mooy and Nakhi Wells.

LJ seems to want many different types of players for different games. But it means certain players like Pato, Palmer or Diedhiou (for completely different reasons) don't play to their best.

Yeah that's the problem with LJ is that he worries about the opposite team too much and tries to nullify them instead of creating a team that will play pretty much one way. Every game the players must get told to play differently to the last. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The funny thing is we were at our very best we’ve been in two years when Pato was playing as a second striker. 

Whilst I think his best times for us are behind him, he’s certainly done more here than Palmer has. But because he didn’t cost big money and come from Chelsea....

When we had Tomlin and Pato took his place in the team, and I think with Taylor up front? We improved for that part of the season. 

Diedhiou, Taylor and Pato just behind wouldn't be too bad I don't think. Not very attractive on paper but it would work 

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What worries me it we don’t seem to get the best out of Palmer, don’t seem to get the best out of Eliasson, don’t seem to get the best out of Diedhiou, a few have expressed concerns we are not getting the best of Nagy and I wonder if we are getting the best out of O’Dowda. 

I think LJ has done a good job here on the whole but these sort of things are starting to concern me. I am pleased with the squad we have assembled but am starting to wonder if another manager could get more out of it.

The right manager definitely, especially one with real championship and premiership experience and a decent back room!

does anyone have a clue what’s gone wrong at BS3 since our duels with both sides of Manchester? Apart from the obvious in that LJ is still sailing against the wind, Wilbraham’s motivating presence perhaps? He and Korey were the “leaders” in the team back then

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

This would make me angry beyond words and even the most fervent LJ backers would struggle to defend it. 

Completely agree. Palmer is one of  our few players able to unlock defences with that bit of quality (e.g. his passes for Rowe’s goal v Brum and Brownhill’s winner v Charlton).

13 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

When we had Tomlin and Pato took his place in the team, and I think with Taylor up front? We improved for that part of the season. 

Diedhiou, Taylor and Pato just behind wouldn't be too bad I don't think. Not very attractive on paper but it would work 

I think all too often fans are blinkered by the name and forget to judge on performances. Palmer has been **** since Afobe got injured. I get that he’s got very little to work with in front of him but he’s been ******* woeful.

Yet because he’s from Chelsea and cost a decent wedge you can’t say that....

I’m no fan of LJ right now but the players need to take some personal responsibility too. 

I’d have Pato at his best over Palmer on current form any day of the week. And I wouldn’t have let Taylor go but think at the time Afobe wasn’t crocked so hard to be too critical of that with Fam and Weimann available too, his chances did look limited on paper. 

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

The right manager definitely, especially one with real championship and premiership experience and a decent back room!

does anyone have a clue what’s gone wrong at BS3 since our duels with Boston sides of Manchester? Apart from the obvious in that LJ is still sailing against the wind, Wilbraham’s motivating presence perhaps? He and Korey were the “leaders” in the team back then

To be honest, a lot went right after the League Cup games up until now. Yes, we will fell away that season but have improved season on season and had that astonishing ten game run this time last year. You could argue it is since then we have dropped off but we have certainly shown we can do it without Wilbraham and, up until a couple of months ago LJ was doing a very good job.

But, if things have dropped off and cannot be recovered, we have to make the change.

In terms of a new manager, I am sorry to say I think experience is the most overrated, misunderstood and irrelevant factor in football management. There are plenty of experienced managers with buckets of experience of mediocrity in the Championship, and even the Premier League, and there are plenty of experienced managers who have been overtaken as the game has moved forward or who have lost the urge to prove themselves and are coasting for the paycheck.

I both hope and believe that, when the new manager is appointed, the board will do what any sensible board would do, which is completely ignore how much experience the new manager has and instead appoint the best person for the job.

3 minutes ago, David Brent said:

LJ has definitely said that he, as head coach, has the final say on transfers. It’s ultimately up to him. 

Not saying that every signing should be a success but this is pretty poor on his part for such an expensive player.

Please don’t give him anymore money to spend.

Is there any actual evidence it’s true? 

Archived